Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drought

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:14 PM
  • 14 Replies

California and Nevada are in a pretty bad drought right now.  Its so bad here that a lake 15 miles from me is so low no boats are allowed on it because its so low.  I just read that Lake Tahoe is at a low that is effecting boating on the lake. 

So I was wondering if you conserve water, and if so what do you do?  

Also have you ever been in an area with a drought before?

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shari55
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I try to conserve water, it is hard sometimes though. We have cut to doing laundry once a week, and only do dishes twice a day. My husband doesn't water as often as he use to, which has affect our gardens, but if it helps with the draught that is what matters. 

There are other ways we are conserving to, because it is the little things that add up.

Ambear72
by Amber on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Your so right!

Quoting Shari55:

I try to conserve water, it is hard sometimes though. We have cut to doing laundry once a week, and only do dishes twice a day. My husband doesn't water as often as he use to, which has affect our gardens, but if it helps with the draught that is what matters. 

There are other ways we are conserving to, because it is the little things that add up.

Ambear72
by Amber on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I have my girls shower together, and it has taken a few reminders but the kids brush with the water off.  We dont water the lawn.  Our grass dies every winter and this last winter did something to the grass because I tried to bring it back but couldnt.  We are going to try to plant seeds next spring.   We also cut back on how often we do dishes and laundry.  

DixieL
by Dixie on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Today in Vegas where I live, it looks like there is going to be a big thunderstorm.

DixieL
by Dixie on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I'm looking forword too it.

MichelleMc
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Yeah we have years ago had summers were we had to conserve but usually our thunderstorms of summer takes care of it. Right now we are having thunderstorms & tornado watch til 9 pm. 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:07 PM

We rarely have to think about conserving water here in the KC area.  Also I don't pay for water here at this apartment but I'm still mindful and try to remember to turn off the water to brush my teeth!  I do have to pay to  heat the water though. 

alexgia
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM

i am from southern california where we had water rationing for years and now it has come to northern california.  i have always tried to conserve, but am trying even harder.  i heard the dishwasher uses less water than handwashing and since it is normally only the two of us i usually can get by with running it every 3 or 4 days.  i do rinse though.  

we only water the grass on our two assigned days, but our gardener keeps programming the timer for several days a week so i have to get up at 5 am and shut it off.

short showers are fine with me and i only wash a full load of clothes.

i do work in a garden center though and although we are selling a lot more drought tolerant plants, there is still a lot of necessary watering.

i do worry about one of my favorite places in the world-beautiful lake tahoe.  they were having people remove boats from folsom lake last month because of the low water lever.

and then of course, we have had many fires here in california.  mother's day weekend i was in carlsbad(near san diego) and the day i left they were evacuating.  on the 4th of july there were two fires less than a mile from my house.

hope it gets better for all of us.

maryBlanche
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:39 PM

We have water rationing right now, and will be fined if we go over our alotted amount.  I am nervous because my daughter's family of 5 have been visiting for three days. The kids have been sharing baths, but the laundry and dishwashing etc. has me nervous. We try to collect the shower water that flows before it gets warm in a bucket to water the plants.  There are water cops to make sure we do not wash cars, driveways etc.  We put in atificial grass this spring so that is helping.  No boating or fishing in our local reservoir.  It is getting scary with the fires and all.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Our summer has been rainy as hell. Either cold or rainy or both. It has ducked. I want some warm rain free weeks please.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)