Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

A very emotional day....

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:06 PM
  • 45 Replies

So I headed out of the neighborhood this morning and noticed heavy, thick, shooting to the sky black smoke.  I drove slowly by the road it was coming from and noticed that it looked like the house of some people I know.  I slam on brakes and back up and head down there.  Sure enough....it is there house and it is totally engulfed in flames.  The entire house.  There was a guy standing there who had no cell phone.  He'd forgotten it and was screaming to get help from a neighbor.  I called 911 and gave them the address and then I sadly had to call the family who lives there.  I waited for her to get there.  She had 2 of her kids with her.  The youngest was at day care.  They lost everything.  I feel so bad.  The kids come see me all the time.  They either walk or ride their bikes.  They were just here last week.  I went and bought them an outfit apiece and also took them toothpaste, soap, shampoo, razors etc....

While I was in line to pay for the clothes I asked the cashier what target's policy was on returned clothes.  I went on to tell him I was buying them for 3 kids who'd lost it all this morning in a fire.  The lady behind me was listening and as I paid she asked me if she could give me a gift card to give to them.  It was for 50.00.  How nice was that??????  Oh gosh....I've cried a lot today.  Some happy and some sad.  I remember how it feels.  I lost mine almost 3 years ago now.

For any of you who pray....please remember this family.  I'm not sure about insurance and all that.  All I know is there is a heart broken family and 3 kids who don't even have a toy to play with.  They also had a brand new puppy who was in the house.  Very very sad day for them. 

Thanks ladies

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadySaphira
by Lisa on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM

How heartbreaking! It is wonderful that both you and the lady in line behind you stepped up to help them out. My brother's house caught fire just before Christmas a few years ago. It wasn't totally destroyed but they had to rent a place for 8 months while waiting for insurance to go through and get repairs/remodeling done. Thankfully they all got out safely and that is the most important thing.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it is heartbreaking.  Especially for those kids.  They've never had a whole lot and now they feel like they will never get it back.  I tried talking to them earlier and I know they understand but it doesn't make it any easier. 
I'm sorry about your brothers fire too.  I think I remember you mentioning that.  It's horrible to go through. 

I'm just happy that they aren't planning any funerals because sometimes the kids are home during the day alone. 

Quoting LadySaphira:

How heartbreaking! It is wonderful that both you and the lady in line behind you stepped up to help them out. My brother's house caught fire just before Christmas a few years ago. It wasn't totally destroyed but they had to rent a place for 8 months while waiting for insurance to go through and get repairs/remodeling done. Thankfully they all got out safely and that is the most important thing.

mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I'll keep them in my thoughts.

This recently happened to a family in our area. Our dd and their son are friends. It was so sad but thankfully our community helped them out through fundraisers and stuff.

.Holly.
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Oh no. That's such horrible news, Louann.  I can't imagine what they must be feeling right now.  I'll keep this family in my prayers and hope they get all the help they need to get through this awful time.  It's so kind of you (and the lady behind you) for helping out like you are.  They need people like you around at this time.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Thank you!  I'm sorry about the family near you.  Fire is so devastating.  I lost everything I had almost 3 years ago.  Left to go to work and all I owned by the afternoon was what I had on my back.  You go through so many emotions.  I'm glad your community helped them out  :)

Quoting mumsy2three:

I'll keep them in my thoughts.

This recently happened to a family in our area. Our dd and their son are friends. It was so sad but thankfully our community helped them out through fundraisers and stuff.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you.  Personally I think we all need prayers.  The more you have the better it is.  lol  I am truly thankful for the lady behind me.  What an act of kindness she showed.  It makes you feel good to know that there are still people like her around.  :)

Quoting .Holly.:

Oh no. That's such horrible news, Louann.  I can't imagine what they must be feeling right now.  I'll keep this family in my prayers and hope they get all the help they need to get through this awful time.  It's so kind of you (and the lady behind you) for helping out like you are.  They need people like you around at this time.

FrankMamma
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:08 PM

I will definitely have them in my prayers tonight. A house in my neighborhood burned to the ground about 6 months ago so I know how devastating that is.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you.  :)

Quoting FrankMamma:

I will definitely have them in my prayers tonight. A house in my neighborhood burned to the ground about 6 months ago so I know how devastating that is.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Oh Louann, I am so sorry to hear that.  That must be absolutely horrible to go through.  Thankfully they are safe - although the puppy is heartbreaking for them I am sure.  It is a good thing you went that way and I know they appreciate your kindness.  What causes these fires?  Is it elecctrical?  I hope they are able to get back on their feet quickly.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:08 PM

I'm not sure what caused this fire.  Mine started in the electrical outlet beside my bed or at least that's what the fire marshal thought.  I was told today that there have been a lot of fires lately.  It's just terrible though. 

I'am so thankful that they're safe.  They could have been planning funerals and thank God above that isn't the case.  It just breaks my heart into for those kids.  I wish I had some money to go blow because I'd take them and buy them clothes and electronics and toys!!!  LOL  I'm really hoping the community rallies around them. 

Quoting Maddie24:

Oh Louann, I am so sorry to hear that.  That must be absolutely horrible to go through.  Thankfully they are safe - although the puppy is heartbreaking for them I am sure.  It is a good thing you went that way and I know they appreciate your kindness.  What causes these fires?  Is it elecctrical?  I hope they are able to get back on their feet quickly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN