Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

10 Things getting more expensive this fall....

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:00 PM
  • 36 Replies

Sandwiches

Kraft (KRFT) announced in its July 30 earnings call that it's raising prices on 50 percent of its products. It's "the right move for the long term," said CEO Tony Vernon. The company said it's dealing with "truly unprecedented" prices for milk, meat and other ingredients. Kraft is raising prices by 5 percent to 12 percent on cheese and 10 percent on many Oscar Mayer deli meats.

Bacon

Yes, meat prices are going up across the board, but let's focus for a moment on the tastiest meat of all: Bacon. The average price of bacon is up 14 percent from last year and 41 percent from 2012, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Bacon now costs $6.11 per pound, an all-time high. Bacon prices were skyrocketing before a diarrhea virus killed 13 percent of the U.S. hog herd, and that epidemic just made everything worse. The cost of feed for farmers has been surging as well, mostly due to a prolonged drought across much of the country.

Denim

Clothing retailers love to promote denim jeans for back-to-school shopping, but the price of denim rises along with the demand, says consumer expert Andrea Woroch of Kinoli Inc. Retailers tend to cut prices after the kids are back in school, meaning that October is actually a better time to buy jeans, she adds.

Chocolate

Those Halloween candy bars will be pricier this year as cocoa costs have soared.

Hershey (HSY), the largest candy maker in the U.S., raised its chocolate prices about 8 percent in July. Now Mars says it will roll out a 7 percent average price hike. The companies are also facing increased costs for milk and other key ingredients in chocolate.

With the prices of bacon and chocolate going up, are there any affordable indulgences left? At least we have coffee. Oh, wait a minute. More on that soon...

Electricity rates

Utilities across the country have either already hiked electricity rates or plan to soon. Southern California Edison raised residential rates an average of 8 percent this summer, while Avista Utilities in Idaho is petitioning for a 4.2 percent rate increase. Alaska Power Company hiked its prices, and FirstEnergy wants to raise rates for Pennsylvania customers this fall.

Those rate hikes come, by the way, as more people are switching to solar power or other forms of alternative energy for their homes.

Starbucks drinks

The skyrocketing price of coffee beans has pushed Starbucks (SBUX) to raise prices in its U.S. cafes and stores. The company and other coffee purveyors are facing higher costs for Arabica beans after a devastating drought in Brazil, the world's top producer of the high-quality bean.

Drinks in Starbucks' cafes will only see a slight rise, but the Starbucks-branded beans in grocery and drugstores will see an 8 percent price hike, Bloomberg reports. Starbucks isn't alone here. Dunkin' Brands (DNKN) is recommending that its Dunkin' Donuts franchisees also raise prices in response to higher bean costs.

Airfare

Hopefully you got your big vacations out of the way this summer, because the average roundtrip ticket has risen to $509.15, The Associated Press reports. And that doesn't include many of the ballooning fees travelers are now paying to check bags, change tickets and get window seats.

Airline customers are also paying more for higher Transportation Security Administration fees that began July 21. The TSA fee for a connecting flight has risen to $5.60 per flight, and connections that last for longer than four hours are charged as a separate flight.

School supplies

Whether their children are starting kindergarten or college, parents say they plan to spend more on supplies this year. Parents with kids in grades K-12 say they will spend an average of $669.28 on clothes, supplies and electronics, up 5 percent from last year, according to a survey from the National Retail Federation.

Families with kids in college will see a steeper increase. College students and their families will spend an average of $916.48 on everything from dorm furniture to school supplies to electronics. Every back-to-school shopping category will see an increase in spending this year, the federation reports.

Chicken

So far this year, poultry has been an affordable alternative for shoppers as the cost of beef and pork soared. But now chicken is seeing its own pricing spike, says consumer expert Andrea Woroch.

One reason for the increase is that a rooster breed in the U.S. is having fertility problems due to a genetic issue, Reuters reports. That presents more problems for the nation's already small supply of breeder birds. It's one more headache for chicken farmers, who have watched feed prices rise in recent years.

Buying a home

Homebuyers could see a double-whammy this fall of higher prices and higher interest rates. Home prices for 20 major U.S. cities rose 9.3 percent in May from a year earlier. And while that growth had cooled somewhat from April's 10.8 percent gain, prices could continue ticking up as the U.S. economy and employment situation improve.

HAVE YOU FELT ANY OF THESE PRICE RISES YET?

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:50 PM

You can't go to the grocery store without feeling the pinch of price hikes.  They raised the price of coffee too.

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Coffee has been staying the same. Don just picked up a pound of bacon for 3.50 and I picked up chicken thighs and drums for 1.09 per pound. 

School supplies are pretty much the same as last year. I don't buy them for Anna because we homeschool but I do watch the sales.

Maybe we will feel it more later...

harmony7
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I dont drink starbucks :)...school supplies were minimum because the kids are using Ipads for most of their work now. Boys in  college pay their own way and live at home. I spent about $500 for clothes for back to school for 4 boys but my boys wear a lot of hand me downs.

I just bought a pig that I will pick up in December from the butcher...my cost will be 1.48 a pound and expect to get between 350 to 400 pounds...just for the very reason I cant afford the grocery store cost of meat.

I have 40 laying hens and 2 roosters....I also have 16 roosters to butcher next month and my turkeys are sitting...I hope to have at least 10 birds to put in the freezer by spring. I bought 3 milk goats and we are learning to make cheese. We have a calf that we will breed next summer for beef and a Huge veggie garden.

I have a large family we are having to do what we have to do! The effort to try to cut our cost and use our land is more time consuming. My feed cost are up and having to get creative with that also.

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with five still at home
MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Yeah Bacon prices are high for sure. Our area Gas ( Natural gas for heating ) Is majorly going to go up. They have already announced it. You do also see it on almost everything. 

Esmrlda
by Esme on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:22 PM

OMG Celery is usually what 50 or 70 cents?  Now its 1.49. Tortillas used to be cheap too.

Quoting Why123:

You can't go to the grocery store without feeling the pinch of price hikes.  They raised the price of coffee too.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:24 PM

That was a good price on the bacon, did you see what it said about the diahrea virus in the pigs?  

School supplies are always expensive in my opinion. haha Binders are what 8 or 9 dollars for a smaller one?

Bacon prices were skyrocketing before a diarrhea virus killed 13 percent of the U.S. hog herd, and that epidemic just made everything worse.

Quoting LEK19:

Coffee has been staying the same. Don just picked up a pound of bacon for 3.50 and I picked up chicken thighs and drums for 1.09 per pound. 

School supplies are pretty much the same as last year. I don't buy them for Anna because we homeschool but I do watch the sales.

Maybe we will feel it more later...

Esmrlda
by Esme on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Wow, good for you!  Yes I read that compaint several times about the price of feed and how are the farmers going to be able to pay for it.  Too bad you couldnt grow your own.

I just bought some goat milk from  friend and I love it.  I have been feeling so much better since drinking it.  It dosent leave that weird coating in your mouth like cows milk does. I bought some goats cheese too that I dont particularly care for to much.

Do you have a garden also?

Quoting harmony7:

I dont drink starbucks :)...school supplies were minimum because the kids are using Ipads for most of their work now. Boys in  college pay their own way and live at home. I spent about $500 for clothes for back to school for 4 boys but my boys wear a lot of hand me downs.

I just bought a pig that I will pick up in December from the butcher...my cost will be 1.48 a pound and expect to get between 350 to 400 pounds...just for the very reason I cant afford the grocery store cost of meat.

I have 40 laying hens and 2 roosters....I also have 16 roosters to butcher next month and my turkeys are sitting...I hope to have at least 10 birds to put in the freezer by spring. I bought 3 milk goats and we are learning to make cheese. We have a calf that we will breed next summer for beef and a Huge veggie garden.

I have a large family we are having to do what we have to do! The effort to try to cut our cost and use our land is more time consuming. My feed cost are up and having to get creative with that also.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:29 PM

How much does it cost to fill a propane tank?

Quoting MichelleMc:

Yeah Bacon prices are high for sure. Our area Gas ( Natural gas for heating ) Is majorly going to go up. They have already announced it. You do also see it on almost everything. 

MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:01 PM

We use natural gas for heat. Like a gas furnace. I don't know about people that use propane but I know they said they were quite a pretty penny & higher than normal. With the extreme winter last year, and who knows this year, I am sure they will be hurting too. 

I know like propane tank for the grill ( like 20 pound ) Is $15 at this small local place, most places are more. 

Quoting Esmrlda:

Quoting MichelleMc:

Esmrlda
by Esme on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM

thats a pretty good price.

Quoting MichelleMc:

We use natural gas for heat. Like a gas furnace. I don't know about people that use propane but I know they said they were quite a pretty penny & higher than normal. With the extreme winter last year, and who knows this year, I am sure they will be hurting too. 

I know like propane tank for the grill ( like 20 pound ) Is $15 at this small local place, most places are more. 

Quoting Esmrlda:

Quoting MichelleMc:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)