Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Hardwood floors anyone please?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:13 AM
  • 7 Replies
We have mostly hardwood floors throughout our home. Over the years they have gotten dull and dingy looking.. We cant afford to get them redone right now.

Anyone have hardwood floors? And suggestions on what to do to get them looking somewhat less dull and dingy?
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bluebunnybabe
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
You could try cleaning them with Murphy's oil soap.
.Holly.
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:30 AM

May want to try a product by Minwax. They have a wiping stain and finish.

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/one-step-stain-and-finishes/minwax-express-color-wiping-stain-finish

You can probably get it at any Lowes, Home Depot etc.

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:41 PM

I have hardwood on my main floor and stairs going up to third floor.  We have light maple, for about 9 years,  and it is beautiful and still looks new.  We take our shoes off in the house and it really helps keep the floors looking good.  Years before we had the living-dining room done, we put the maple first in our kitchen-family room.  It is quite scratched and dented, but the surface is still quite glossy when I give it a good cleaning.   On our lower stairs and den we have laminate which looks very similar to the hardwood, is much more durable, and of course a lot cheaper.  I often wish I had put laminate on the main as well, as it doesn't scratch.  

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:30 PM

I have hardwood throughout.  The floors date back to 1959.  They have been refinished at some point and looked very nice when I moved in 2 years ago.  Well, life happens.  I have tried murphys, bruce floor cleaner as well as liquid gold (super slick!).  Nothing has really been that great, so I gave up.  Let me know if you find something good.  In the mean time I have convinced myself to enjoy the wood floors and know that as they get scratched and dingy that they reflect the happiness of my dogs rushing to greet me, my DGD's toy tracks spinning across the floor and my DD's right to womanhood with 4 inch heels.  LOL!  

Momof3girls478
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:01 PM
Thats how mine are too!! Dogs kids etc!! All of mine are original hardwood also except for kitchen and bathroom. My kitchen is old black/ white/ gray tile.. The kind that needs to be waxed!! Well cant find wax anywhere! I so wish my kitchen was the hardwood also!! Is your kitchen hardwood?

Quoting Maddie24:

I have hardwood throughout.  The floors date back to 1959.  They have been refinished at some point and looked very nice when I moved in 2 years ago.  Well, life happens.  I have tried murphys, bruce floor cleaner as well as liquid gold (super slick!).  Nothing has really been that great, so I gave up.  Let me know if you find something good.  In the mean time I have convinced myself to enjoy the wood floors and know that as they get scratched and dingy that they reflect the happiness of my dogs rushing to greet me, my DGD's toy tracks spinning across the floor and my DD's right to womanhood with 4 inch heels.  LOL!  

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:21 PM

The bath, kitchen and utility are fairly recent tile.  I am happy with that.  My previous house had a wood floor in the kitchen.  We were really hard on that floor so I am happy with the tile in the current house.  Have you checked to see if you have hardwood under your tile?  If not you can always have it added.

Quoting Momof3girls478: Thats how mine are too!! Dogs kids etc!! All of mine are original hardwood also except for kitchen and bathroom. My kitchen is old black/ white/ gray tile.. The kind that needs to be waxed!! Well cant find wax anywhere! I so wish my kitchen was the hardwood also!! Is your kitchen hardwood?
Quoting Maddie24:

Momof3girls478
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes we checked but it isnt. We were hoping it was :( We think were going to put some kind of vinyl in the kitchen. Our dogs go in and out through there. Always a mess! Also in the summer the kids are always coming in and out there soaking wet from the pool!! Even tho i repeat myself 100s of times to dry off 1st LoL!!!

Quoting Maddie24:

The bath, kitchen and utility are fairly recent tile.  I am happy with that.  My previous house had a wood floor in the kitchen.  We were really hard on that floor so I am happy with the tile in the current house.  Have you checked to see if you have hardwood under your tile?  If not you can always have it added.

Quoting Momof3girls478: Thats how mine are too!! Dogs kids etc!! All of mine are original hardwood also except for kitchen and bathroom. My kitchen is old black/ white/ gray tile.. The kind that needs to be waxed!! Well cant find wax anywhere! I so wish my kitchen was the hardwood also!! Is your kitchen hardwood?
Quoting Maddie24:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN