Potato salad is a summer classic, but let’s face the truth: by now the excitement has kind of worn off, right? There are a lot of barbecues and outdoor parties ahead, though, so you need a side dish that's flavorful, easy, and different to serve alongside whatever you're grilling. This Roasted Potato and Chorizo Salad is just the thing. Chorizo (make sure to get the Spanish slicing kind, not the Mexican loose kind) is amazing paired with roasted potatoes. Garlic, bell peppers, and paprika reinforce the Spanish flavors.
The best part? It takes 10 minutes to prep, and once it's in the oven, you're free to turn your attention to the rest of dinner ... or, maybe, relax on the patio with a magazine and a cool drink! Use an oven bag and there's almost no cleanup, either.
Roasted Potato & Chorizo Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Makes: 6 servings
Spice up your next summer barbecue with a Spanish twist on a classic favorite: potato salad! Use an oven bag to trap in natural juices and free up space on the grill. And be sure to use firm, fresh vegetables, which will cook in about the same time as the potatoes for better consistency.
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 ounces chorizo sausage, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped basil for garnish (optional)
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F. PLACE Reynolds® Oven Bags in 13x9x2-inch baking pan. SHAKE flour and paprika in bag.
- ADD potatoes, bell pepper, and garlic to bag. Gently squeeze oven bag to blend ingredients and arrange in an even layer. Roll down open end of oven bag two or three times so that it stays open; set aside.
- HEAT oil in skillet on medium heat. Add onion and sausage, stirring until mixture starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Spoon evenly over ingredients in oven bag. Carefully pour chicken stock over ingredients in oven bag. Unroll open end of oven bag.
- CLOSE oven bag with nylon tie (included in package); cut six 1/2-inch slits in top of bag. Tuck ends of oven bag in pan.
- BAKE for 45 to 50 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- CAREFULLY cut the oven bag open. Spoon the salad into a serving dish.
- GARNISH with chopped basil (optional).
- SERVE warm or at room temperature.
REYNOLDS KITCHENS TIP: Free up some space on your grill this summer and make this simple and spicy side dish in an oven bag! The bag helps to trap in the Spanish flavors and natural juices so your potatoes won’t dry out. Plus, the bag will help keep your baking dish and oven clean so you can spend less time in the kitchen cleaning and more time outdoors with your loved ones!
Moms, what's your favorite summertime side dish?