Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

What is Your Favorite Summertime Side Dish?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:30 PM
  • 23 Replies

Roasted Potato & Chorizo Salad

roasted potato chorizo saladPotato salad is a summer classic, but let’s face the truth: by now the excitement has kind of worn off, right? There are a lot of barbecues and outdoor parties ahead, though, so you need a side dish that's flavorful, easy, and different to serve alongside whatever you're grilling. This Roasted Potato and Chorizo Salad is just the thing. Chorizo (make sure to get the Spanish slicing kind, not the Mexican loose kind) is amazing paired with roasted potatoes. Garlic, bell peppers, and paprika reinforce the Spanish flavors.

The best part? It takes 10 minutes to prep, and once it's in the oven, you're free to turn your attention to the rest of dinner ... or, maybe, relax on the patio with a magazine and a cool drink! Use an oven bag and there's almost no cleanup, either.

Roasted Potato & Chorizo Salad

Prep Time: 10 minutes     Cook Time: 45 minutes     Makes: 6 servings

Spice up your next summer barbecue with a Spanish twist on a classic favorite: potato salad! Use an oven bag to trap in natural juices and free up space on the grill. And be sure to use firm, fresh vegetables, which will cook in about the same time as the potatoes for better consistency.

Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon flour
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 4 ounces chorizo sausage, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
  • 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup chopped basil for garnish (optional)

Prep:

1. PREHEAT oven to 350°F. PLACE Reynolds® Oven Bags in 13x9x2-inch baking pan. SHAKE flour and paprika in bag. 
  2. ADD potatoes, bell pepper, and garlic to bag. Gently squeeze oven bag to blend ingredients and arrange in an even layer. Roll down open end of oven bag two or three times so that it stays open; set aside.
  3. HEAT oil in skillet on medium heat. Add onion and sausage, stirring until mixture starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Spoon evenly over ingredients in oven bag. Carefully pour chicken stock over ingredients in oven bag. Unroll open end of oven bag.
  4. CLOSE oven bag with nylon tie (included in package); cut six 1/2-inch slits in top of bag. Tuck ends of oven bag in pan.

Cook:

1. BAKE for 45 to 50 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
  2. CAREFULLY cut the oven bag open. Spoon the salad into a serving dish.
  3. GARNISH with chopped basil (optional).
  4. SERVE warm or at room temperature.

REYNOLDS KITCHENS TIP: Free up some space on your grill this summer and make this simple and spicy side dish in an oven bag! The bag helps to trap in the Spanish flavors and natural juices so your potatoes won’t dry out. Plus, the bag will help keep your baking dish and oven clean so you can spend less time in the kitchen cleaning and more time outdoors with your loved ones!

Moms, what's your favorite summertime side dish?

by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChitownLady
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Grilled Zucchini

Cut Zucchini into wedges about 4 inches long, marinate in italian dressing. Place on grill until there are grill marks on all sides, or until tender. Dip in Mayo/Creamy Horseradish sauce combined to taste.

Makes a good appetizer.

CometGirl
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:57 PM

coleslaw

Why123
by Nancy on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Potato salad

Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Suddenly salads are quick and delicious!

KittyGram
by Becky on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Potato salad!  My mother never shared her "recipe" with me, but other than the size of the potato pieces (she liked them small, I like them bigger), I've been able to pretty much re-create it!

EireLass
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:33 PM
My husband without a shirt on, haha.
DixieL
by Dixie on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine is always some kind of potatoes. I could eat them all the time. Lol. My husband;s favorite side dish is any kind of pasta salad.

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I like a good pasta salad and a fruit salad.

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I have sauted them with onions in Italian dressing and then add cherry tomatoes at the end. Sprinkle with fresh chopped basil. Yum.

I like the idea of dipping in a creamy horseradish sauce.

Quoting ChitownLady:

Grilled Zucchini

Cut Zucchini into wedges about 4 inches long, marinate in italian dressing. Place on grill until there are grill marks on all sides, or until tender. Dip in Mayo/Creamy Horseradish sauce combined to taste.

Makes a good appetizer.

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM

My homemade potato or macaroni salad,or a niced tossed salad with fresh veggies out of the garden(which I buy at the farmers market since we no longer have a garden).And corn on the cob too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN