Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would You Tell Your Friend?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:30 PM
  • 20 Replies

I have a friend, Anna, in her 50's, who has been divorced for several years, and is now at the point where she would like to meet a new man.  Another friend who is also divorced is going  to help Anna with an internet dating site profile. I think Anna needs to upgrade her appearance a little, as competition for men is stiff in this age range.  The thing is, like most of us in menopause, she has a lot of excess facial hair.  I think this would be a definite turn-off for a man, and I was wondering if I should suggest she take care of that.  Would you suggest that to a friend if you felt it would help her?

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DellaG
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM
3 moms liked this

Maybe you could suggest a day at the spa for the 2 of you before she goes on her first date..Or maybe (delicately) suggest some products to remove the facial hair.. I personally would welcome suggestions.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I think a spa day with a facial is a great idea.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

For me it would depend on how close we were.  If we were really close I would probably say something...even if it was in a joking way.  Like...well, the two of us need to go somewhere and take care of all the hair we have on our faces now before we try to find you a man....something like that.  If we were friends and not very close then I probably wouldn't.  Let us know how it goes and what if anything you say!!  :)

Esmrlda
by Esme on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Is she so lazy about it or does she just not care?  I would just tell her, Im sure she knows. Maybe she is planning on doing it anyway. 

Ambear72
by Amber on Nov. 5, 2014 at 12:05 AM

If she was a close friend I would, but if we werent that close then I wouldnt.  I might drop hints but I wouldnt come out and say she needed to remove the hair.

terri-553
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I would just say be careful how you say it,as she maybe gets her feelings hurt

LeJane
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 11:17 AM

What level of friend is she  ?

Social,

Good ,

Great

Like a sister.....  ?

LEK19
by Group Admin on Nov. 5, 2014 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

If I am starting the topic it would really depend on how close we are like Louann said.

If it came up in general conversation - grooming, what men like, etc. then I would see if there was a delicate way to get it in there.

She may just not be familiar with what is out there to take care of facial hair. I would not be that up on such things. I am allergic to many beauty products in one way or another so I am not as up to date on what products are out there for various things.

I like the idea of a spa "date" together before having pics taken for that site or before her first date.

Quoting louannwilkins:

For me it would depend on how close we were.  If we were really close I would probably say something...even if it was in a joking way.  Like...well, the two of us need to go somewhere and take care of all the hair we have on our faces now before we try to find you a man....something like that.  If we were friends and not very close then I probably wouldn't.  Let us know how it goes and what if anything you say!!  :)

Maverick1957
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Oh HECK yes!  I have the same!  A wax job would work - or - if she can afford it - laser eventually. 

Good day out at the spa would work wonders for her self esteen.  Friends don't always tell you what you WANT to hear but sometimes what you NEED to hear. 

As for dating sites, I helped my Ex re work his profile on Match.com, picked out a better pic that didn't make him look like he had a beer gut, picked out his best features to list (I mean geez!  Who better knows you than the woman you were married to for over 20 years).  He met a wonderful woman, has been with her for 10 years.  IT DOES WORK!    I just recently got to meet her at our DS's wedding & LOVE her!  

Wish your friend the best of luck!  Keep us posted on how it goes!

caro100
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Yes, I would tell her.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)