• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Voting

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM
  • 13 Replies

My son is 29, has a young family and is pretty apathetic when it comes to voting, unless it's a Presidential election.  I've tried telling him that the state and local elections are the ones that directly affect his daily life.  He just doesn't feel that his vote counts.  It's very important today--we've got races for governor, congressman, atty general, school commissioners, county commissioners, judges, medical marijuana, penny sales tax increase...

Any ideas for how to convince him?

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmygirl31
by Angie on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

to me, voting has always been important.  I really wouldnt try to convince him other than to say what you have already said.  If he isnt interested he may go in and just vote willy nilly and not even care-voting for the wrong people just to vote is worse than throwing away your vote imo.

Ambear72
by Amber on Nov. 5, 2014 at 12:02 AM

I dont really know honestly.  Maybe show him how it works and that his vote really does work.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Nov. 5, 2014 at 12:19 AM

I can't say that I do...I got distracted and busy and toataly forgotit was election day myself. I am the last one who should be giving advice .

suesues
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

let him talk to vets or love ones of people who have died for us so we can vote or study foreign coun try were people wish they could vote 

LEK19
by Group Admin on Nov. 5, 2014 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree it is important to vote but it is ok to choose not to vote.

I do think there should be a spot on all ballots for "not satisfied with any of the choices." It would be another voice to hear from. I have been in that position before and I do want to show that I am willing to go there and vote!

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 5, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Sadly most if the time it is that way. Better to vote for the lesser of 2 evils than not vote at all.

Quoting LEK19:

I do think there should be a spot on all ballots for "not satisfied with any of the choices." It would be another voice to hear from. I have been in that position before and I do want to show that I am willing to go there and vote!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LEK19
by Group Admin on Nov. 5, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I disagree with that. By voting for them you are saying that you support and agree enough to vote for them. I used to think that way. Now I will go to the ballot and vote on some issues and for some people and leave others blank if I cannot support them. I am still voting but not supporting those I cannot because of various reasons.

A turning point for me was when I overheard people who totally misunderstand a proposal say, "Well, I voted wrong then but it doesn't matter anyway." That statement really made me think. Yes, it really does matter! (I am not saying that you agree with them.) Especially when it comes to narrow margins!

Quoting atlmom2: Sadly most if the time it is that way. Better to vote for the lesser of 2 evils than not vote at all.
Quoting LEK19:

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 5, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Not voting always helps one or the other candidate actually. One has to be the lesser of the 2 evils. A candidate is gonna win regardless.

Quoting LEK19:

I disagree with that. By voting for them you are saying that you support and agree enough to vote for them. I used to think that way. Now I will go to the ballot and vote on some issues and for some people and leave others blank if I cannot support them. I am still voting but not supporting those I cannot because of various reasons.

A turning point for me was when I overheard people who totally misunderstand a proposal say, "Well, I voted wrong then but it doesn't matter anyway." That statement really made me think. Yes, it really does matter! (I am not saying that you agree with them.) Especially when it comes to narrow margins!

Quoting atlmom2: Sadly most if the time it is that way. Better to vote for the lesser of 2 evils than not vote at all.

Quoting LEK19:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LEK19
by Group Admin on Nov. 5, 2014 at 1:03 PM

That is why I would like to see that other choice on the ballot. If too many people vote and say they can't vote for either then have another election. The majority did not vote anyone in.

Maybe it would encourage other people who are more qualified to run for offices.

Quoting atlmom2: Not voting always helps one or the other candidate actually. One has to be the lesser of the 2 evils. A candidate is gonna win regardless.
Quoting LEK19:

Quoting LEK19:

MichelleMc
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

If he doesn't feel confident to vote, it is better to not vote. You trying to convince him isn't going to help. A lot of people are really fed up with voting. They know that people aren't following what they say they will, promise whatever will get them in and with so much fraud anymore, does your vote matter? It is getting that way. When they call elections before votes in other states are even in, does a vote matter? It gets people frustrated. 

I hate the two party system, and I CRINGE every time I hear someone say which party is for which. They never tend to find out what someone is for, and usually have their stances wrong but say well this party is for this or that, so I will vote that way, my parents did. I get the frustration. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)