Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smile!

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM
  • 26 Replies

In his TED talk, “The Hidden Power of Smiling,” Ron Gutman said that a third of Americans smile at least 20 times a day, and roughly 14 percent smile less than five times a day. Children, on the other hand, smile around 400 times a day. One British study managed to put a price tag on it: One smile can generate the same level of brain stimulation as receiving up to $25,000 in cash or 2,000 bars of chocolate.

Read more: http://www.utne.com/mind-and-body/the-science-behind-smiling.aspx#ixzz3K06szRGF

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LEK19
by Group Admin on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

This is that time of year when I see a lot of people out and about without smiles. I think of the people who work in stores and have to deal with all these people and their many moods. I think of the people who set their holiday standards so high that they are nearly impossible to maintain.

My wish for you this holiday season is that you can smile and give that gift to others....

maybe they will smile, too!

Why123
by Nancy on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Thank you.  I try to smile a lot.

.Holly.
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:09 PM
I smile a lot, but seems many don't.
DesignGirl450
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I will smile a lot for $25,000!!  LOL   Actually, in my volunteer position as a hospital wayfinder, I smile at people, which is part of the job.  I am so used to smiling at people that I smile at everyone I pass in grocery stores, etc., and I have found that most people smile back.  It is contagious. 

DixieL
by Dixie on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I love to smile, but right now I have to cover my mouth with my hand when I smile. I have to get my teeth fixed, before I smile, without covering my mouth. I keep putting it off, because I'm so scared of getting my teeth done.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I like to say my motto is "life is too short not to have fun"  ... and you can't help but smile when you are having fun. 

:o)

LEK19
by Group Admin on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Your welcome!!!!

Quoting Why123:

Thank you.  I try to smile a lot.

LEK19
by Group Admin on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Sometimes I am in deep thought and realize I am doing it too much when a total stranger will tell me to smile!

Quoting .Holly.: I smile a lot, but seems many don't.

LEK19
by Group Admin on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:08 PM

So true - they are contagious!

So important to smile and want to be there when you are in the people business! Thanks for being a good volunteer!

Quoting DesignGirl450:

I will smile a lot for $25,000!!  LOL   Actually, in my volunteer position as a hospital wayfinder, I smile at people, which is part of the job.  I am so used to smiling at people that I smile at everyone I pass in grocery stores, etc., and I have found that most people smile back.  It is contagious. 

LEK19
by Group Admin on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Aw! Come on!

Teehee!!!

Quoting DixieL:

I love to smile, but right now I have to cover my mouth with my hand when I smile. I have to get my teeth fixed, before I smile, without covering my mouth. I keep putting it off, because I'm so scared of getting my teeth done.

Can you find a dentist that specializes in treating people who are afraid of dental work? My son saw one of those when he was living near Chicago.

A smile is a smile!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)