• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mom and the hospital

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:48 PM
  • 21 Replies

As some of you know, My mom has been in the hospital since Thursday.  I took her to the ER because when I picked her up to go grocery shopping she was SOB that she couldn't even speak an entire word. When we got to the hospital, her O2 was only at 68. They have managed to get it up to 92 and wean her down from 8 liters to 4 liters of oxygen but it looks like she will be there a few more days. They have her on 4 antibiotics, including Vancomycin. At first they suspected CHF or pneumonia, Then the DX was "pneumonia on multiple levels" (whatever the hell that is supposed to mean), now it is a "lung infection" (love how specific they are). Who the hell knows what the DX will be tomorrow.

Support cancer awareness here #mce_temp_url#

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen-jen99
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:53 PM
If they suspected chf i have to wonder why they had her at 8 liters...even 4!! I woulda been pissed if i saw that!
DesignGirl450
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:53 PM

I am so sorry.  Your poor mother must be suffering a lot from all of this, and very stressful for you to watch her go through it. 

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:01 PM

I did not know that CHF had anything to do with how much O2 should or should not be received. CAn you tell me more about that?

Quoting jen-jen99: If they suspected chf i have to wonder why they had her at 8 liters...even 4!! I woulda been pissed if i saw that!

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I feel awful for her..she is so miserable. When she first went in, she couldn't even get on the bedside commode and back into bed without gasping for breath. She is slowly improving but I would not be surprised if she is there  at  the end of this week.   The thing that is actually bothering her the most is not being able to wash her hair.

Quoting DesignGirl450:

I am so sorry.  Your poor mother must be suffering a lot from all of this, and very stressful for you to watch her go through it. 

jen-jen99
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:11 PM
chf and copd patients recieving 02 at high rates....can decrease cardiac output and cause carbon dioxide retention. I hope she gets better soon!!

Quoting LadySaphira:

I did not know that CHF had anything to do with how much O2 should or should not be received. CAn you tell me more about that?

Quoting jen-jen99: If they suspected chf i have to wonder why they had her at 8 liters...even 4!! I woulda been pissed if i saw that!

LadyDiamond927
by Pamela on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:27 PM

She's in my prayers.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for that info, I will keep that in mind. perhaps they were looking at what would be the lesser of two evils sinces her pulse-ox was only 68 when she was in the ER and is only in the high 70s to mid 80s if she is not on oxygen. Thankfully, they have ruled out CHF through bloodwork and some test that involved shoving a tube up her nose and into her lungs to obtain a sample of the fluid in them.

Quoting jen-jen99: chf and copd patients recieving 02 at high rates....can decrease cardiac output and cause carbon dioxide retention. I hope she gets better soon!!
Quoting LadySaphira:

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you

Quoting LadyDiamond927:

She's in my prayers.

LadyDiamond927
by Pamela on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:43 PM

You're so welcome, I know this is a lot on you to deal with...I pray that you stay strong <<hug>>

Quoting LadySaphira:

Thank you

Quoting LadyDiamond927:

She's in my prayers.

LEK19
by Group Admin on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Sending get well wishes your Mom's way and

a take care and hugs to you, too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)