Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas Tree tid bit

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM
  • 6 Replies

At work we were talking about different christmas traditions from other countries.  We did a day on the Christmas tree. Here is what I found:      

It originated in Gernmany. But did you know that it we sometime in the 7th Centery a monk went to Gernman to teach the word of God. Legand has it that he used the triangular shape of the Fir Tree.  The tree we use now.  He used it to discribe the Holy Trinity.  The top of the tree represents God, the 2 other points represent, the Son and the Holy Spirit!  I thought this was very interesting.  Then in 1510 Martin Luther decorated the first christmas tree and added candles to show his children how the stars twinkled in the sky.   I thought this was really interesting and thought I would share it with you!

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Esmrlda
by Esme on Dec. 8, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Thanks Amber! 

DixieL
by Dixie on Dec. 8, 2014 at 6:14 PM

That is a really nice thing to know.Thank you Amber.

LEK19
by Group Admin on Dec. 8, 2014 at 6:38 PM

What many don't know is that a lot of these same traditions have origins in "pagan" rituals or they wanted to include some of the elements of the older rituals to make the transition to Christianity easier. Many of these involve trees (or branches/logs) and lights. 

Just another bit of trivia!

It is fun learning about the different world traditions!

Ambear72
by Amber on Dec. 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I did know this, and think its pretty cool.  Itried talking about Yule but the Lead teacher got upset. I did tell as much as I could without being to spacific.  It was hard.

Quoting LEK19:

What many don't know is that a lot of these same traditions have origins in "pagan" rituals or they wanted to include some of the elements of the older rituals to make the transition to Christianity easier. Many of these involve trees (or branches/logs) and lights. 

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Dec. 10, 2014 at 7:41 AM

interesting

LEK19
by Group Admin on Dec. 10, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Depending on how your program handles holidays and how your lead teacher presents things, it can be difficult getting a new idea across. You do work for a HeadStart program, don't you? Sometimes you have to tread carefully when holidays roll around. Are you familiar with their holiday policy? or you can ask about it. Some programs won't address holidays at all which I think is wrong . If you are supposed to include family ideas and customs, how can you avoid holidays?

When I was the lead teacher, I based holiday celebrations around what the families did and got ideas from them. I was careful to include each family in some way according to how much they wanted to be involved. I had a lot of parent involvement that way, which also translated into in-kind for the program.

Quoting Ambear72:

I did know this, and think its pretty cool.  Itried talking about Yule but the Lead teacher got upset. I did tell as much as I could without being to spacific.  It was hard.

Quoting LEK19:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)