Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adult child at home with child of their own?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:10 PM
  • 7 Replies
Have any of you moms had/ have an adult DD living at home still either pregnant or with a child/ children of their own?

I was just wondering how that effects DD getting WIC? My oldest DD is pregnant and was told my husband and my income needs to be included. Its not our baby nor are we going to be supporting the baby. With our income we're over the limit for her to be eligible.

She has a job and does pay us a small amount for rent each month and pays some towards cable/ internet. Pays her own cell..

Should we write up a rent agreement for her so she could possibly get WIC?
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sabrtooth1
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:46 PM

http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/wic-income-eligibility-guidelines

Look it up for yourself.  The government does not care about anything other than the total GROSS income of all persons in the family OR HOUSEHOLD.  Yours is a household.  You live together.

Momof3girls478
by Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Pk thank you ! We were told 2 different things by 2 different people at our local WIC office thats why i was asking. One told us all our income and another told her to just report hers. Its been years since i was on WIC.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Look it up for yourself.  The government does not care about anything other than the total GROSS income of all persons in the family OR HOUSEHOLD.  Yours is a household.  You live together.

ElvinCephalopod
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

if she is paying rent and utilities, and buying/preparing her own meals seperately, you guys count as seperate households, even if you are living together

if you have no rental agreement, and food is bought/prepared together - you count as one household

Quoting Momof3girls478: Pk thank you ! We were told 2 different things by 2 different people at our local WIC office thats why i was asking. One told us all our income and another told her to just report hers. Its been years since i was on WIC.
Quoting sabrtooth1:

Momof3girls478
by Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:38 AM
She pays rent, pays some of the utilities, and rarely eats with us, she buys her own hygeine products etc. So do you suggest us writing up a rental agreement for her? Shes not trying to rip off anybody. She doesnt want any goverment assistance such as food stamps etc. She just wants to get some help with the formula and stuff.. She will be doing this on her own. No father in the picture..

Quoting ElvinCephalopod:

if she is paying rent and utilities, and buying/preparing her own meals seperately, you guys count as seperate households, even if you are living together

if you have no rental agreement, and food is bought/prepared together - you count as one household

Quoting Momof3girls478: Pk thank you ! We were told 2 different things by 2 different people at our local WIC office thats why i was asking. One told us all our income and another told her to just report hers. Its been years since i was on WIC.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

ElvinCephalopod
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:42 AM

yes, write up a rental agreement

Quoting Momof3girls478: She pays rent, pays some of the utilities, and rarely eats with us, she buys her own hygeine products etc. So do you suggest us writing up a rental agreement for her? Shes not trying to rip off anybody. She doesnt want any goverment assistance such as food stamps etc. She just wants to get some help with the formula and stuff.. She will be doing this on her own. No father in the picture..
Quoting ElvinCephalopod:

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 6:21 AM

I agree with the previous poster. Write up an agreement and make sure it is clear that she is a renter and not part of your "household". 

mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 6:24 AM

Quoting ElvinCephalopod:

This. Write up a rental agreement.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)