Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are YOUR guidelines for young adult children on NYE

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:56 AM
  • 11 Replies

Me personally, I tell my kids that wherever they are at or around 10ish that's where I want them to stay for the night. I have 2 over 21 and my youngest just turned 18 (2 of the 3 are still at home).

My youngest has plans with her fairly new bf. Of course according to my preset guidelines she would be staying at is house but quite frankly, IMO, that is out of the question since I really do not know him and have never met his family. She is a good kid who makes the occasional bad decision.

Am I being too conservative?

by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:08 PM

I don't dictate rules for them when they are out of HS.   Mine are 20 and 23.  The 23 year old is having 15 people here.  DD 20 is having a friend over.  That is what they decided.  I didn't decide for them. 

I think you are being way too controling to the ones over 21.  Just turned 18, I take it they are still in HS so yes they would have rules. 

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I think that's a great idea. This hasn't come up with mine yet. They are always with me on NYE but I would say no drinking and driving or riding with someone who has been drinking would be key.

JustMeNmine1
by Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I strongly recommend this guideline to my older ones but ultimately it is up to them. As I have told them over the years, it is not always about their driving skills but the other careless drivers out on nights like tonight. They are responsible and I trust their decision.

Yes, my 18 yr old is still in HS :)

Quoting atlmom2:

I don't dictate rules for them when they are out of HS.   Mine are 20 and 23.  The 23 year old is having 15 people here.  DD 20 is having a friend over.  That is what they decided.  I didn't decide for them. 

I think you are being way too controling to the ones over 21.  Just turned 18, I take it they are still in HS so yes they would have rules. 

redneck_kids
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:20 PM
Only my one at home she stays home. Getting her munchies.
GleekingOut
by Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:22 PM
I don't even know where mine was for New Years. She lives out of home, so she can do whatever she wants.
Maddie24
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I think that is a great guideline, if a mom does not tell them - who will?  I ask my 27 and 30 yo  not drive or ride with those drinking.  I will always tell mine what I think - at this point in their lives they would be surprised if I didn't.  Happy New Year!

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Its just common sense to not drink and drive and ride with those that have been drinking.  Not something I would have to say to mine. 

kuntrylady56
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I think thats great advice or have a designated driver if they're going out to a club ect. Mine is 28yo and I still tell her to be safe when she out.  Its a mothers perogitive. :)

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:55 PM

I don't really have any rules for my adult kids that live at home other than to please let me know where they are going to be and not to get into a car with anyone who has been drinking.  

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 31, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Here's new years at our house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)