Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Today is Seed Share Day (1/31)

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:10 AM
  • 10 Replies

Do you plant a garden in the Spring?

Do you start your plants from seeds?

Have you ever participated in a seed exchange?

by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:29 AM

I have only put in a vegetable garden one year, 21 years ago. I have never used seeds unless you count the ones the kids have grown at school but never had good luck with those. 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:23 AM

years ago, for just a couple of years, I started seeds in the basement and then transplanted them into our garden.  I started tomatoes and peppers this way.  I would dampen a paper towel, place seeds on it, wrap it up and seal in a baggie.  A few days later, I'd transplant sprouted seeds into itsy bitsy peat pots, and transfer them to larger peat pots as they grew.  Kept them under fluorescent lights.  it was hard to 'abort' the little plants that didn't grow big enough, but I only wanted to plant maybe a dozen plants to the garden.  we had cherry tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, roma tomatoes, and green peppers and banana peppers.  it was fun but also quite a bit of work.

I might try a little "garden" this year but then again maybe not.  LOL.  I've been saving the plastic litter pails (Tidy cat) that would be perfect for container gardening.   IF I did this, I'd grow leaf lettuce, radishes and perhaps cucumbers.  not too fond of tomatoes, to be honest - i grew those way back when because my husband liked them.  but, I don't know if I will try it this year.  Funds are tight and garden soil costs $$.  And time is likewise just as tight.  plus I don't eat lettuce, radishes or cucumbers often enough to really justify the expense and time when i can buy them at the store!!

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:24 AM

I have not but given that certain companies are trying to control seeds so we can't grow for ourselves it sounds like a good idea. I however have a black thumb.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Anything green that I touch always dies so I don't bother LOL

mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:13 PM

It's been a few years since we've had a veggie garden. I usually buy starters from the ag class at the school where I work or from a local place. I don't start them myself. I haven't participated in a seed exchange.

LEK19
by Group Admin on Feb. 1, 2015 at 11:22 AM

I have never participated in a seed exchange. I am interested in some heirloom varieties.

I have had gardens in the past. The last few years we have been renting. I plant some flowers nearly everywhere I live. Sometimes  I plant veggies in with them.

The year before last year the deer ate most of the veggies I had planted. Last year I didn't plant any. This spring I am hoping to plant something but not knowing exactly where we will be living makes it tough to get excited about it.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 1, 2015 at 11:24 AM

I don't do any kind of plants gardens, nothing.    I hate that kind of work.  Heck, we hire out weeding our beds around our house etc.  

louannwilkins
by Louann on Feb. 1, 2015 at 11:27 AM

I've never participated in a seed exchange but I do love a garden.  I always plant tomatoes and cayenne peppers if nothing else.  LOVE them!!  :)

sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 1, 2015 at 11:35 AM

I've had a veggie garden every year I've been married, 37 years now.  When the kids were young, we used to can and freeze, but now we just grow for consumption.  The last few years we've done container gardening.  I also have large flower beds.  I plant mostly starts, but I have done my own crosses, and planted the results.  However, I have not done seed exchanges.

Why123
by Nancy on Feb. 2, 2015 at 10:12 AM

I like planting a garden but unfortunately the squirrels like to eat it.  I used to start seeds but now I just buy the plants because it is easier.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)