Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

More Jamaica advice please!

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:03 AM
  • 10 Replies

I am probably going to become a total pain in the arse by the time I leave for my trip in October but I have millions of questions since I have never been out of the country since I was about 12 (Canada, for the day, laws were a lot more lax). I copied this from the web site of where we will be staying: 

At Secrets St. James Montego Bay, these amenities include:

• Elegant accommodations with stunning views
  • Welcome cocktail and cool towel
  • Gourmet dining at nine on-site restaurants
  • Full breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks each day
  • 24-hour room service
  • Complimentary mini-bar refreshed daily
  • Unlimited premium drinks at nine bars and lounges
  • Unlimited natural fruit juices and soft drinks
  • Day and nighttime activities and entertainment
  • Theme parties
  • Oceanfront bars and entertainment venues
  • Pool and beach wait service
  • No reservations at restaurants
  • No wristbands required
  • Live nightly entertainment
  • Open-air theatre
  • Fitness center
  • Option to upgrade to Preferred Club privileges
  • All taxes and gratuities
I am assuming this means that all meals and drinks are included and that tips are taken care of with the price of the stay. Should I tip anyway? If so how much?

Support cancer awareness here #mce_temp_url#

by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louannwilkins
by Louann on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Sorry Lisa....I'm no help.  I can barely afford to get to my fav place...the mountains on the other side of this state!!!  LOL  I'm sure you will get some great info though from these other girls.  :)

Cafe MichelleP
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Tipping at the resort is optional but it is expected. The level of service you receive can and most likely will depend on whether or not your choose to tip. If you leave the resort for any type of day trip or excursion, you absolutely DO tip everyone from the tour guide to the driver and anyone you come into contact with on the outing.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:33 AM

I was thinking along those lines myself, I just more or less wanted to confirm. What would be a good average to tip? Do you know of any guidelines I could use?

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Tipping at the resort is optional but it is expected. The level of service you receive can and most likely will depend on whether or not your choose to tip. If you leave the resort for any type of day trip or excursion, you absolutely DO tip everyone from the tour guide to the driver and anyone you come into contact with on the outing.

KittyGram
by Becky on Feb. 18, 2015 at 12:15 PM

I would still tip.  When we were on the cruise, there was one server (at one of the bars) that had been exceptionally attentive to us, so in addition to the (small) nightly tips, on the last night, we each tipped him a little extra.  

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:38 PM

what did you tip meal servers? If meals are included in the package, how do you know what the cost of your meal would have been so that you can tip appropriatly?

Quoting KittyGram:

I would still tip.  When we were on the cruise, there was one server (at one of the bars) that had been exceptionally attentive to us, so in addition to the (small) nightly tips, on the last night, we each tipped him a little extra.  

KittyGram
by Becky on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:20 PM

Honestly, I don't remember how much!  But I know it was only a few dollars each time at the most (I went with 5 other women, we each took care of our own, so I was just paying for me).  At the end, we may have given that one server another $10 each?  Something like that.

Quoting LadySaphira:

what did you tip meal servers? If meals are included in the package, how do you know what the cost of your meal would have been so that you can tip appropriatly?

Quoting KittyGram:

kam013
by on Feb. 20, 2015 at 7:18 AM

Lisa, though they say tipping is optional, it is expected and can get expensive.  

When we went last year we left a couple of bucks a day in the room for the "Bar" attendant and a couple of bucks a day for Housekeeping.  We rarely drank the alcohol provided in the room, but since we played tennis every morning we left notes requesting lots of bottled water and they kept us well stocked.  

Since it is all-inclusive all your meals and beverages are covered, including alcohol if you desire it.  Most meals are self serve, so if you don't feel like tipping, don't.  When we made reservations at a couple of the sit down restaurants (though still all-inclusive) and were actually served our meal we did leave a decent tip.  When we sat in the lounge areas and ordered drinks we also left small tips.  

Though we left a dollar or two for each of our self-serve meal we actually gave our biggest tip for the Breakfast hostess, even though she wasn't a server, she seated us every morning that we were there and was outstanding and so friendly!!  We actually handed her the tip and she was so appreciative.  

Bellboys should also be tipped when/if bringing/picking up your bags, usually it's customary to tip a dollar per bag.

If you have a transfer ride from the airport to the resort and back they also expect a small tip.  

Your experience will be slightly different because you are there for a wedding, but some will be the same.

As I said it can get expensive, but use your discretion. 

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 20, 2015 at 1:26 PM

Thank you! I was thinking about taking $100 in ones and 5's for tipping (3 night stay)

Quoting kam013:

Lisa, though they say tipping is optional, it is expected and can get expensive.  

When we went last year we left a couple of bucks a day in the room for the "Bar" attendant and a couple of bucks a day for Housekeeping.  We rarely drank the alcohol provided in the room, but since we played tennis every morning we left notes requesting lots of bottled water and they kept us well stocked.  

Since it is all-inclusive all your meals and beverages are covered, including alcohol if you desire it.  Most meals are self serve, so if you don't feel like tipping, don't.  When we made reservations at a couple of the sit down restaurants (though still all-inclusive) and were actually served our meal we did leave a decent tip.  When we sat in the lounge areas and ordered drinks we also left small tips.  

Though we left a dollar or two for each of our self-serve meal we actually gave our biggest tip for the Breakfast hostess, even though she wasn't a server, she seated us every morning that we were there and was outstanding and so friendly!!  We actually handed her the tip and she was so appreciative.  

Bellboys should also be tipped when/if bringing/picking up your bags, usually it's customary to tip a dollar per bag.

If you have a transfer ride from the airport to the resort and back they also expect a small tip.  

Your experience will be slightly different because you are there for a wedding, but some will be the same.

As I said it can get expensive, but use your discretion.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)