Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Popular Dog Food May Be Responsible for Illnesses & Death, Lawsuit Claims

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 8:33 AM
  • 9 Replies

Popular Dog Food May Be Responsible for Illnesses & Death, Lawsuit Claims

baneful killing pets If you're a dog owner, you may want to check the brand of food you're serving man's best friend. California resident Frank Lucido has filed a lawsuit against Purina PetCare Company alleging that Beneful dry kibble dog food is responsible for the illness or death of thousands of dogs.

Lucido, who owned three dogs, began feeding the pets only Beneful between late December and early January, according to the suit. By the end of January, all three pooches, who were living separately due to home renovations, fell ill, with one, an English Bulldog, ultimately dying. 

Jeffrey B. Cereghino, a lawyer representing Lucido, told NBC News:

All three of them weren't exposed to a singular condition. The one constant they had was they were all eating the same dog food.

The lawsuit blames toxic ingredients in Beneful, including propylene glycol, a component of automotive antifreeze, and mycotoxins, produced by mold found in grains, for the pets’ sickness and death.

In response to the lawsuit, Purina stated:

There are no quality issues with Beneful. We believe the lawsuit is baseless, and we intend to vigorously defend ourselves and our brand. Beneful had two previous class action suits filed in recent years with similar baseless allegations, and both were dismissed by the courts.

Have you ever served this product to your pet? 

Image © Eric Isselee/shutterstock

by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 9:30 AM
My son fed our dog benteful because the commercial was so cute and heart warming and the dog looked like his dog. Mac was our family dog and my son took him out of state to live with him and a host family while he played ice hockey there. He left in August. I went to visit in November. Within three months time our family dog had dropped weight and was definitely sick. I ended up taking the dog home. There was no question about that!!!! He looked horrible!!! Hairloss, listless, diareah, weight loss ... Just sick! I knew that Benteful dog food was a poorer quality dog food. We fed hugger quality at home brand. My son had switched from the food our family was feeding Mac when they were at our house for two reasons when he ran out of the food we sent. First the cost was much cheaper for benteful and second the commercials and dog on the bag won him over. So yes, I do believe the food can make the dogs sick. However, owners watching their dog would know the dog was sick. Sick dogs need to go to the vet… it was not an I stand death from poisoning after the first meal... It was gradual. I was not aware of the complaints I just read in the posted article. Typically your vet will ask what are you feeding your dog? When you bring him in looking like our dog Mac did. And when the words "I give him Benteful " come out, the vet would most likely reply that you needed to feed a healthier diet. This translates to a much more expensive diet. Many people just need to purchase the cheapest one around, which included my son. Or give their dog the commercial that touches their heart… But I do have to say, his biggest motivator was the adorable dog and the great relationship the dog and owner had on the commercials, because it was just like my son and his dog. He felt like he was doing the best for his dog by giving him this dog food. Other dogs may do fine on benteful. Ours did not. Our dog appears to have a protein digestion disorder. I think it boils down to paying attention to your dog, being knowledgeable, responsible and having enough money to afford veterinarian visits and also purchasing a quality dog food. For those who can't, it is unfair that dogs suffer by being fed low quality food. Guess the same goes for underprivileged people, even here in the United States who are malnourished, eat unhealthy cheap food, or do not have the money or means to purchase appropriate meals. All of it makes me very sad. I believe the dog company is responsible to a degree… Though I don't think there was any Intent To maliciously kill dogs... And I do believe the food was most harsh on dogs who do not digest proteins well.
I believe purina is responsible for the commercial insinuating that good owners feed their dogs benteful if they love them and that benteful will make your dog love you and your dog will be happy and healthy and play ful and loving if you buy purina Benteful and feed it to your dog.
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:04 AM

No. I have certain criteria when looking for food. No food coloring, no rubberized food, etc. I have working dogs so I'm concerned with protein, fat, meat/veggie, etc.

by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:26 AM

We've fed our dog Beneful for the past year or so and have had no problems with it at all.

by Jeanine on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:48 PM

I don't buy pet food at the grocery store.  I use to give my dog Blue Buffalo but it, along with a bunch of other high end dog foods were recalled a few years ago.  The people at the pet food store told me that Earthborn Holistic is not made from the same factory the others were so now I buy that.

by Dixie on Feb. 27, 2015 at 4:34 PM

Thank you Michelle, I didn't know about that. I'm glad I don't use that anyway. Thank you for giving a lot lof healthful advice. I always like it. Thank You Very Much.

by on Mar. 13, 2015 at 4:31 PM

It is definitely true...countless stories of sick/dead dogs have been posted in this group.  This group has been around for over two years.  Please request to join if you want to learn more about proper nutrition for your pet (you don't have to be a Beneful/Purina feeder to join, just have to want to learn).

by Louann on Mar. 13, 2015 at 6:18 PM

Oh gosh!  I don't have any dogs now and so I've never used that.  It's just awful

by Susie on Mar. 13, 2015 at 9:14 PM
I have used it for years. Changed this week to Eukanuba.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2015 at 10:51 PM

NO!  My dog is fed a high quality, all natural, all American made food, and that's all she's ever eaten, except for Milk Bone dog biscuits (and after the scare years ago with food from China killing dogs, I check them out too).  The food has no fillers and the lamb & rice variety has exactly the amounts of carbs/protein needed for her breed - she's a 12 year old Dalmatian, is very healthy and active for her age.  My brother used to be a distributor for this brand of food, Sierra Natural, & I learned a lot about dogs & food from him. I will never feed any of our pets anything else.  I even buy special bird seed at the pet store for my 2 parakeets - the owner told me never to give then Hartz Mountain food.  

american flag ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)