Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So mad I could scream.....

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 1:16 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am really angry with one of my son's college instructors.  My son does not like literature, so I am helping him with his British Literature course. His instructor assigned an essay over one of the characteristics of Romantic Period poetry and how it was utilized in one work not covered in class by one of the poets who was covered. He had to have a minimum of 2 sources. He had 6; 1 she did not like, but he only used one comment from the source. The instruction was to pick the characteristic, explain it in your own words and support it with scholarly sources. Then, take a poem and explain how the poet used that characteristic.

He used a poem by Blake and the use of nature (connected to mysticism).  He also included info that critics have recently taken a deeper look at Blake and are now concluding issues that are differ from his view which is more traditional.

He made a C-. The ONLY note was that he clearly understood the poem and was accurate and his analysis of the literary critics was interesting, but he did not conform to the topic.

He messaged her (online course) and asked how he did not conform. Her tart reply was that his use of nature was not a characteristic in the introduction and that was where he was to look. 

I looked. The phrase "Introduction to Romantic Literature" is used in 3 locations. One "Introduction" gives a 2 sentence explanation and does not specify the characteristics, but does reference nature and spirituality. The characteristics section does specify exactly what he wrote on...nature and link to spirituality. 

She said he obviously had trouble with 2 clicks and perhaps should not take a sophomore level class and should certainly not take an online class. 

She has STILL not given an explanation of how the paper is not on topic. He has 112 hours, 21 sophomore level classes, 11 online classes and this has not happened before. 

I am a former teacher and have looked at this and do not know how he is not on topic. I honestly cannot figure it out. I knew she might not like one source, but it constituted one sentence and he had 5 others. 

He is trying desperately to get her to tell him what he did wrong so that it does not happen on the next paper. 

I HATE high and mighty teachers who talk down to students. Now, she has said she does not know how he has done so well on his quizzes since his lowest has been a 90. 

Sorry, just want to blow off steam. 

by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Feb. 27, 2015 at 1:33 PM

I work at a community college and know what you are talking about.  Unfortunately, after faculty have taught full time for a certain length of time, they get tenure.  At that point some of them stop caring because they know that there is nothing that can be done to them.  I took a class where the faculty's style was to read from the textbook.  I figured that I could do that on my own time.  Not one of the better classes that I have taken.  You have my sympathy.

tossed
by Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 1:37 PM

I am pissed that she won't give an answer as to what was wrong. I can't say to her what I am thinking, but what a bitch to make comments like "I must admit that I am confused because your grades are good and you obviously did not know to click to turn the page." She did not read the email he sent because he said, I went through everything and found 3 different pages labeled "Introduction." I assumed it meant the whole chapter and not just the first 2 sentences under "Introduction to Romantic Literature."  

Quoting Why123:

I work at a community college and know what you are talking about.  Unfortunately, after faculty have taught full time for a certain length of time, they get tenure.  At that point some of them stop caring because they know that there is nothing that can be done to them.  I took a class where the faculty's style was to read from the textbook.  I figured that I could do that on my own time.  Not one of the better classes that I have taken.  You have my sympathy.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 27, 2015 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like someone on a power trip. 

jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 27, 2015 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Ugh, poor guy :(     My dd is getting her bachelors online right now and she has had some issues with "idiot professors".

tossed
by Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 3:48 PM

We just sent off an email to her. I do not think it is too much to ask for an explanation of her statement. There was no rubric. There were no guidelines. She wrote the "book" and pats herself on the back for not making the kids buy the "book."  Honestly, I have never seen a chapter have 2 sentences. 

I actually think the issue may be that the paper was too in depth. I hate papers where you have to bull shit about what the dead poet meant in each line. He did that, but was not nauseating about it. 

This is the last of the bull shit classes he has to take. I would hate for him to drop it.  

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

The next to last sentence says it best about this prof and the class. Lol.

Quoting tossed:

We just sent off an email to her. I do not think it is too much to ask for an explanation of her statement. There was no rubric. There were no guidelines. She wrote the "book" and pats herself on the back for not making the kids buy the "book."  Honestly, I have never seen a chapter have 2 sentences. 

I actually think the issue may be that the paper was too in depth. I hate papers where you have to bull shit about what the dead poet meant in each line. He did that, but was not nauseating about it. 

This is the last of the bull shit classes he has to take. I would hate for him to drop it.  

tossed
by Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:02 PM

After her very condescending comments, we worked on a response. She apologized, now acknowledges that he did write on the topic, but said not thoroughly. BS.  She wants to know how to resolve this? My son wants to say, "You could start by actually reading the essay." I told him he can't respond that way. She has a rubric for grading discussion boards, but not essays. Perhaps she could start there. 

Ambear72
by Amber on Feb. 28, 2015 at 12:24 AM
Im sorry, Im not a fan of them either.
suesues
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2015 at 7:56 AM

that 'scollege I dont get involved with kids assignment they are adults now and have to figure it out and they always do. 

Let it go 

tossed
by Member on Feb. 28, 2015 at 9:42 PM

We each deal with things in our own way. I don't think college means that we stop giving guidance. He did what he was supposed to do. Nothing he is doing is working and I appreciate that he has asked for other opinions on what to do and how to approach her in nonaggressive sounding way. I used to work at a college and they don't always figure it out. That is why there is such a high level of noncompletion at many of our colleges.

Quoting suesues:

that 'scollege I dont get involved with kids assignment they are adults now and have to figure it out and they always do. 

Let it go 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)