Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stupid People!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

So mad at our stupid school board.  Today as nasty as it is they still had school in session here in Springfield. A couple other areas near by also had school but cancelled classes early.

This morning they knew we were getting nast weather starting about 7..we already had freezing rain and sleet on the roads by the tiem kids were to heading ot school.  Accidents all over the damn place.  I din't take Kali and TJ because even though we only have maybe 1/4 mile to travel there are so hilly parts and I don't trust other peoples driving. Plus the weather has deteriated rapidly and now the roads are totally covered.  And we just got an automated call from the school system saying highschool classes would be let out and 1/2 hour early to allow for the school buses to get back to the elementary schools on time so there would not be to much delay in getting children home this evening and to allow parents who have to drive to pick up their kids(Would of been me) plenty of extra time to get there!!!! 

School shouldn't have been in session at ALL.  My college even closed the campus down at ten this morning. So did a couple of the other colleges here in town.  Dosen't make no damn since to me, why put the children lives at risk so they can just say they had a full day of school for attendance, and so they can get their tax money!   

But they've already cancelled evening sporting events?? 

I'm sure they'll have reasonable explanation.

Update: I just recieved a another automated message from my grand childrens school saying because they are also a middle school and elementary togethere, they will be dismissing classes a half hour early also.  But if child care is needed because of this they will provide it untlill parents can ge there to pick up their children by the normal time school would of been let out! But after school activities have been cancelled!  So glad I just kept the kids at home today.

Whats the school closing policy in your area when there is bad weather?

by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KittyGram
by Becky on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:33 PM

I don't know personally, because my one and only is 31.  She, however, deals with it because she has 3 in school.  I know she gets frustrated, because their district is always one of the very last to cancel, no matter how bad the forecast is.

Otherwise, their school district is pretty awesome, and I know she wouldn't want to trade it for any other.  In fact, they're looking for a bigger house, but it has to be in either this district or a choice of two others.  

smokeyjo
by Jozie on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:10 PM
I have no idea. My daughter homeschooled until she was in high school and then we went to a homeschool co-op twice a week. If we felt the weather would be dangerous, since this is a very rural and mountainous area, we just stayed home and either Skyped the classes or caught up later.
jabs54
by Jeanine on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:18 PM

Not sure what their policies are.  I know Madison schools never close.  The more rural schools tend to close if there is a BIG snowstorm or at least a couple hours delayed.

LEK19
by Group Admin on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:23 PM

My youngest is homeschooled so we don't get weather cancellations!

When my three adult kids were little and I thought the weather was bad enough and school was not cancelled, I kept them home. In that area if they used up their allowed number of school cancellation days, they would not cancel school in the early spring when the weather was bad.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:59 PM

The schols in our area close or go to a 2 hr delay schedule if the temp gets below -20 . They rarely close for bad roads here either.

momma-t42
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 8:34 AM

I live in KC metro area.  They cancel school at the "thought" of flurries.  I don't understand why schools cancel for the lightest amounts of snow...but I DO understand a parents discretion of whether they will send their kids out in the snow/sleet etc.  That is where the line should be drawn.  As parents (grandparents in your case), you make the final call...but really, school should only be cancelled in rare cases.

My cousing drives a school bus in Wyoming.  They RARELY cancel school and put kids on buses with chains on tires, and they get to school, and kids wait at bus stops.  I grew up that way too.  We stood out in snow, and lived.  I wasn't barefoot, nor did I walk a mile in two feet of snow, but I did survive walking to a bus stop in heavy snow like weather and learned how to be tough out in the cold and follow through with the responsibility to be where I was suppose to.

Our society today has made it so soft on our kids out of fear of lawsuits, we're almost paralized to do anything.  Our kids hear the criticisms of adults and it undermines those who make the decisions we disagree with.  They hear, they know, and then they grow up thinking it shouldn't apply to them.

It's not to dismiss how concerning weather can be...but people should truly unify to support the school systems who are always in the most difficult position.  

I hope you're all staying safe though, and while I recognize the concerns of weather with ice/snow mix...just stand firm in your decision to keep the kids home.   That is your choice and that is the best choice, to do what is best for you and those grandkids. :)

louannwilkins
by Louann on Mar. 5, 2015 at 9:07 AM

I don't have any kids in school now but that sounds totally ridiculous!!!

louannwilkins
by Louann on Mar. 5, 2015 at 9:11 AM

You know, honestly when the boys were small and in school I used my own judgement.  There were times school was in and I didn't take them if I thought it was too dangerous.  Well....my dh at that time didn't take them since I don't drive in it.  lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)