Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I do?

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:24 AM
  • 11 Replies

Last night my dad told me to forget he exist. He asked me to go get him a part for a motorbike and then drive an hour and a half to drop it off to one of my sisters who is flying to where he is next month. I said, why dont you ask one of them. They are in the same city where that store is, im far. I have work, school, my kids. He said, Im so smart and my genius ideas! Hang up on me and later said to forget he exist. End of story.

Needless to say, I've never had a good relationship with him. Whenever I think I'm finally getting there, things like this happens. He just turn 70 years old. He is changing the will bc he thinks he will die soon.

I have a hard time leaving my house to drive 15 mins away or go to school, driving that far plus Miami traffic, its extremely overwhelming. I get that to him depression means you are sad but that doesn't change the fact that is beyond sadness.

by on May. 5, 2015 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happyolechimp
by Vera on May. 5, 2015 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this
He's sounding so selfish..I don't know the history but I know this kind of pain..
jabs54
by Jeanine on May. 5, 2015 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds very selfish.  Order the part and have it sent to yourself for Petes sake.  Sorry he's such a jerk :(

flika
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 4:23 PM

I said that to my mom too, that why he hasnt order online instead and have it shipped to one of my siblings? Oh well, if i do that, then he wont pay me back and Im not financially able to just loose 100 dollars.

Quoting jabs54:

Sounds very selfish.  Order the part and have it sent to yourself for Petes sake.  Sorry he's such a jerk :(

.Holly.
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 4:40 PM
He should order the part and have it shipped directly to him. I don't understand why he'd request you to go so far out of your way to do this and then get that angry at you. Is he just this way to his children or is there more to this story? Seems harsh.
PinkButterfly66
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 4:44 PM

You're not losing much, imo.  Your father sounds like an asshole.

sunflowers80
by New Member on May. 5, 2015 at 5:20 PM

Bless your heart. It sounds difficult to go through that with your dad. It might be a case of old age setting in and sometimes that affects a persons character/memory/personality. Have you considered talking to someone about this? Since you can't change him, sometimes it's helpful to talk it out and see how you can respond or not respond to get some peace about the situation. Just a thought. LMK if you want any references, I know of free counseling services a non-profit offers...blessings.

mommato2lilmonkeys

LadySaphira
by Lisa on May. 5, 2015 at 5:57 PM

Sounds like your dad has some mental health issues of his own.

Why else would someone be that selfish and react that way when faced with a more logical alternative? It sounds like at this point in time, you are better off without having him around.

flika
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 7:37 PM

He was very abusive when I was a child as well. Mentally, physically and emotionally. Not good...Very painful. I just kept trying. Not worth it!

Quoting happyolechimp: He's sounding so selfish..I don't know the history but I know this kind of pain..

flika
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 7:40 PM

My siblings think he might be bipolar. I also think he might suffer from depression, for years now and of course not treated. He keeps going to different drs and gets prescription medicine. I dont know much bc we leave far from him. One of my sisters lives near him and told me this the other day.

But he's always been a bit selfish for sure. Def theres no reason to react the way he did when there were easier ways.

Quoting LadySaphira:

Sounds like your dad has some mental health issues of his own.

Why else would someone be that selfish and react that way when faced with a more logical alternative? It sounds like at this point in time, you are better off without having him around.

happyolechimp
by Vera on May. 5, 2015 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Hun..I know how you're hurting...it's similar to my story..too long and painful to tell...besides..it'd take 50 episodes of Dr Phil to scratch the surface..
I guess it's just our lot in life..hugs...buncha hugs
ever need to vent..just holler

Quoting flika:

He was very abusive when I was a child as well. Mentally, physically and emotionally. Not good...Very painful. I just kept trying. Not worth it!

Quoting happyolechimp: He's sounding so selfish..I don't know the history but I know this kind of pain..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)