Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning Question

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:47 PM
  • 14 Replies

I was wondering if any of you wise ladies can help me.   I have a cleaning problem in the bathroom that is working on my last nerve! 

We have a sand colored tile in our shower...(See picture below).

I have noticed that just about everything that I clean it with leaves a residue.  My most recent attempt has been Lysol spray bathroom tube & tile cleaner...  I now have large white marks that look like soap scum running down my tiles...It takes alot of elbow greast to get it off..and plenty of scrubbing too.

Can any of you tell me what to clean with that won't make my tile look like this?      (These aren't the best pictures...but hopefully you can tell what color my tiles are.)

by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cybcm
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:56 PM
Baking soda.
valkay
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Vinegar?..
jabs54
by Jeanine on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:19 PM

I was going to suggest vinegar too.    I've never heard of cleaning solutions leaving scum???   

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:21 PM

Vinegar

Yesihave6kids19
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:24 PM
Ammonia works wonders!
sabrtooth1
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:30 PM

I use a squeege EVERY TIME I shower, and vinegar in a spray bottle a couple times a week.  Do not get it on REAL granite or marble. 

In the past, I had a blue shower stall, with inch square tiles.  There was a sea of grout, and it got REALLY dingy.  DH cleaned it with Muratic Acid, and after that I was religious about cleaning after every shower.  The acid is weak, but stronger than lemon or vinegar, and needs so be applied by someone who knows what they are doing, in a well ventilated space, and with personal protection. 

I use this method in all my bathrooms.  2 of them are still almost 30 years old, and other than looking dated, they are clean, and look great.

Was the grout sealed?  Grout is basically sand and cement, and is very pourous and subject to staining.  AND washing out, which is what your long drips probably are.  In our older bathrooms, we sealed the grout at the beginning, and reseal every few years if necessary.  In our newer baths, the sealant was an additive mixed into the grout before it was applied.  Google "bathroom grout sealer" for any number of tutorials.

tnlizard
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Was the grout sealed?  Grout is basically sand and cement, and is very pourous and subject to staining.  AND washing out, which is what your long drips probably are.  In our older bathrooms, we sealed the grout at the beginning, and reseal every few years if necessary.  In our newer baths, the sealant was an additive mixed into the grout before it was applied.  Google "bathroom grout sealer" for any number of tutorials.

This bathroom is less than two years old...I'm pretty sure sealant was added  to the grout mixture.

Thanks for your suggestions!  I'll try the vinager tomorrow

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Sep. 26, 2015 at 12:24 AM

good luck and let us kow how  the vinager works

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Sep. 26, 2015 at 7:02 AM

I'd be trying the Magic Sponge if the vinegar didn't work.

suesues
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 8:33 AM

i use scrubbing bubbles rinse and squeezy after every use 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)