Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

little vent, thanks for 'listening' last update at bottom: I THINK I WON!

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:08 AM
  • 27 Replies

ugh this new FL group is so freaking frustrating!

One account uses military time, and will dictate "nineteen hundred."  I always type 1900.

I got "dinged" and they changed all the times to 19:00 (they added a colon)

their instructions say (I changed font to red for emphasis)

Time:  Use the format as dictated, do not use "o'clock" unless it is referring to anatomy positioning. 

·         Use the hour:minute format (Example:  8:00) if dictated.

·         Unless specifically military time and referred to as military time in the dictation, use the hour:minute format above. 

·         If military time is dictated, (Example:  1900) do not use a colon.

·         Do not use "a.m." or "p.m." unless dictated.

Provider dictates:

Transcriptionist types:

I saw the patient at one fifteen.

I saw the patient at 1:15.

... quarter past one.

... 1:15.

... one fifteen p.m.

... 1:15 p.m.

... thirteen fifteen.

... 1315.

... thirteen hundred fifteen.

... 1315.

... around one o'clock.

... around 1:00.

... around thirteen hundred hours.

... around 1300.

I asked about this and the reply was: 

• Unless specifically military time and referred to as military time in the dictation, use the hour:minute format above.

I asked, how would it be dictated, then, and "referred to as military time" ??

reply:  We require that the account be a government account for the general use of the military time format.

I replied back: 
Please provide that specific information (We require that the account be a government account for the general use of the military time format.) in subsequent client requirements.

Haven't heard back yet.  grrr.   I am just following their directions and yet get dinged anyway.

thanks for letting me vent.  :o)

UPDATE 10:14 a.m. (or 1014)

So here's the reply"The entire document must be consistent.  If the doctor dictates 9:13 and not Oh nine thirteen (military time) then regardless of whether he says 13:15 or not you must type it with colons so that the time is consistent through the document. If he dictates oh nine thirteen (0913) which is military time, then you can put 1315 later in the document.  If he does not dictated anything other than 1315 you can assume military time."

and my reply to her: 
so everything before noon should be dictated with an "oh".  QA changed 1130 to 11:30 (and then 1320 to 13:20, 1545 to 15:45 and 1500 to 15:00)  because it was not dictated "oh eleven thirty" ??

So are they considered a government account?

I hope they don't fire me.  LOL.

2nd update 5:22 p.m. (1722, or 17:22):  She pointed out she was simply providing a sample and then said that account is NOT government, so we don't use military time, even if dictated.

I politely thanked her for the info then suggested maybe they change the wording from "military time" to "24-hour clock" since that's what they actually are talking about with the colons.  lol.  I haven't heard back since.

Update 10/28/15

So, guess what?  They updated the directions!

now the instructions say:

·         Use the hour:minute format (Example:  8:00) if dictated.

·         Do not use military time for this account.

·         Do not use "a.m." or "p.m." unless dictated.

Provider dictates:

Transcriptionist types:

I saw the patient at one fifteen.

I saw the patient at 1:15.

... quarter past one.

... 1:15.

... one fifteen p.m.

... 1:15 p.m.

... thirteen fifteen.

... 13:15

... thirteen hundred fifteen.

... 13:15

... around one o'clock.

... around 1:00.

... around thirteen hundred hours.

... around 13:00

I think I can call this a win for me!!

by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jabs54
by Jeanine on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:18 AM

What kind of account is it that uses military time?   Sounds like it's very annoying :(

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:28 AM

Quoting jabs54:

What kind of account is it that uses military time?   Sounds like it's very annoying :(

it's a hospital and they just use military time - not all the time, but if someone dictated, "her water broke at nineteen hundred," I type 1900 (that's 7 p.m.)  But their instructions say to type 1900 yet I got dinged and told to type 19:00. 

grrr.

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:38 AM

I can't remember if it has a colon or not.  Europe uses military time.  I tell ya when I lived in Italy I was counting for a long time to figure out time, lol.  Our digital clocks were that way too, lol.  

I just searched and it is not written out in words.  It probably should have a colon, I think.  

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:16 AM

colon or no colon, their instructions said to NOT use one, yet I got dinged for not using one.  SMH.  Just trying to stay on top of all their "rules" takes a LOT of time!  I'm pretty good at figuring out military time now though.  Just subtract 12.  So 1900 would be 7.  2100 would be 9.  :o)

Quoting atlmom2:

I can't remember if it has a colon or not.  Europe uses military time.  I tell ya when I lived in Italy I was counting for a long time to figure out time, lol.  Our digital clocks were that way too, lol.  

I just searched and it is not written out in words.  It probably should have a colon, I think.  

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:20 AM
2 moms liked this

I'd start drinking.

LEK19
by Group Admin on Oct. 26, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Quoting EireLass:

I'd start drinking.

...on the job!

I hope you get some clear answers. 

louannwilkins
by Louann on Oct. 26, 2015 at 2:00 PM

LOL  I might as well!!  lol  :)

Quoting EireLass:

I'd start drinking.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Oct. 26, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Quoting suzeebloch:

Quoting jabs54:

it's a hospital and they just use military time - not all the time, but if someone dictated, "her water broke at nineteen hundred," I type 1900 (that's 7 p.m.)  But their instructions say to type 1900 yet I got dinged and told to type 19:00. 

grrr.

Many years ago when I worked at a hospital they said we would soon have to use military time.  I panicked but luckily it never happened ;)

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Oct. 26, 2015 at 2:45 PM

That sounds cofusing as hell

drumomma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:25 PM

If you would have put the :, they would have said it was wrong too. You will never win.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)