Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

re: heating water from the spin off microwave post

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:12 AM
  • 28 Replies
Who owns an electric kettle?

Reason I'm asking is that I work with a lady from the US who thought it was really weird that we had an electric kettle in our kitchen at work, so after us all looking at her like she had three heads, and we explained that you would be hard pressed to find a household or workplace in Australia without one, she told us that we were nuts and very few people have them in America.

That post reminded me of it. Is it true?
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof3inct1967
by Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:17 AM
I have (had) an electric kettle- my daughter took it to university
I need to replace it lol
I also have a stovetop kettle
I don't heat water in the microwave :)

Quoting cybcm: Who owns an electric kettle?

Reason I'm asking is that I work with a lady from the US who thought it was really weird that we had an electric kettle in our kitchen at work, so after us all looking at her like she had three heads, and we explained that you would be hard pressed to find a household or workplace in Australia without one, she told us that we were nuts and very few people have them in America.

That post reminded me of it. Is it true?
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:48 AM

an electric kettle?  I think I have heard of them but I don't have one.

I use a one-quart measuring cup to "brew" my coffee and I pour it into a carafe.  I heat up one quart of water at a time and store in the carafe to make my tea. 

I'm on a tight budget and small apartment so using the stove to heat water costs more and takes more time plus the added heat I don't need in the summer.  The time and money is why I still use the microwave in the winter. 

My coffee maker broke a year ago and so as an emergency measure I made my coffee in the one-quart measuring cup in the microwave.  Then I decided that method works just fine for me and I don't need a coffee maker since they seem to break after about a year and I don't have the $$ to spend on a more expensive one that would last more than a year anyway.  lol.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Jan. 23, 2016 at 8:34 AM

Nope, never have.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:04 AM

I've seen them and at one point thought about getting one but never did.  I didn't want something else sitting on my kitchen counters.  lol

tnlizard
by Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:32 AM

What is that?  I heat water in a stove top tea kettle or in the microwave.

bluebunnybabe
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:33 AM
I've never had one. I used to have one that goes on the stove top years ago but I never used it.
LEK19
by Group Admin on Jan. 23, 2016 at 11:14 AM

I do have two friends who are big tea drinkers that have them.

I have a tea pot that I heat water in on the stove when I have more than one cup to serve, otherwise, I use the microwave for just one.

Cafe MichelleP
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 11:30 AM

We have one. My husband uses it to make tea.

smokeyjo
by Jozie on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:53 PM
We have one but we don't use it often.
kuntrylady56
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:40 PM

I don't think I have ever seen one.  I sometimes use my electric coffee maker to make a large batch of tea for my iced tea. Just putting sugar in the filter then laying my tea bags on top so the hot water can brew it. Voila! Either pre=sugard hot tea or tea ready for ice.lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)