Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm worried about my dog (update)

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:51 PM
  • 20 Replies

So, I had to have Lajla shaved.  We tried growing her hair long for the winter but she got mats.  She hates the wire brushes so I've been brushing her with a human detangling brush but apparently that was a mistake.  Anyhoo, when I picked her up they said she was awful.  Cried the whole time.  She drives us nuts with her frequent crying so I didn't think too much about it.  But she is acting really weird since I picked her up yesterday.  Wouldn't come out of her kennel this morning.  Wouldn't play with my dh (she loves to play ball with him) and won't come and sit with my on my lazyboy.  She acts traumatized.  She's gotten her hair cut many times.  Do you think they abused her?

She finally acted normal Tues, 3 days after haircut.   I called the vet and asked for a anti-anxiety for grooming and my dh picked it up yesterday.  He gave her acepromazine which just makes them unable to react to the stress and actually gives them more anxiety!  I'm taking it back and asking for Xanax or valium which actually reduces stress.   I've had a year to do research on anxiety on dogs and am really disappointed my doctor still prescribes acepromazine.  

by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:53 PM

Poor baby. I supose anything is possible as far as abuse is concerend. Have you used this groomer before? Is the crying relatively new or has she been that way since you brought her home. If it is new, you may want to have the vet check her over.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 1, 2016 at 12:48 AM
Awwww, I would call the vet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 1, 2016 at 3:07 AM

Has she been shaved before?  If not, maybe that's what's causing her odd behavior? 

If she has been and this is nothing new, maybe because you had been letting her hair grow long and now she's shaved - maybe just too much of a change?  

happyolechimp
by Vera on Feb. 1, 2016 at 7:17 AM
I'd be worried too...
jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 1, 2016 at 8:10 AM

Quoting LadySaphira:

Poor baby. I supose anything is possible as far as abuse is concerend. Have you used this groomer before? Is the crying relatively new or has she been that way since you brought her home. If it is new, you may want to have the vet check her over.

She is relatively new to our town.  This was the 3rd time I've used her.  A lot of people really like her.

She has cried since the day we brought her home.  At first we thought it was normal but we realized this was going to be a difficult journey :(   We have tried herbal remedies from the vet but it doesn't help.  I'm calling the vet today and seeing if anti-anxiety meds are warranted.    I just wish I could stay with her when she is groomed but she would probably be worse if she could see me.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 1, 2016 at 8:14 AM

Quoting suzeebloch:

Has she been shaved before?  If not, maybe that's what's causing her odd behavior? 

If she has been and this is nothing new, maybe because you had been letting her hair grow long and now she's shaved - maybe just too much of a change?  

Yes, she's been shaved many times.  She is used to wearing a sweater to the dog park since she goes in all weather so I have been keeping a sweater on her all the time since she's probably cold.  I made the mistake of cutting my hair short one winter and I couldn't believe how cold it made me ;)

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 1, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Quoting jabs54:

Quoting LadySaphira:

She is relatively new to our town.  This was the 3rd time I've used her.  A lot of people really like her.

She has cried since the day we brought her home.  At first we thought it was normal but we realized this was going to be a difficult journey :(   We have tried herbal remedies from the vet but it doesn't help.  I'm calling the vet today and seeing if anti-anxiety meds are warranted.    I just wish I could stay with her when she is groomed but she would probably be worse if she could see me.

My sister in laws dog got Prozac because she got anxious and bit her husband.  It cured her and since then has been weaned off the drugs and is fine now.  

Why123
by Nancy on Feb. 1, 2016 at 9:53 AM

I hope she gets better.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 1, 2016 at 12:59 PM

It does sound liek she sufferes from anxiety . Maybe the vet can give her some "doggy Downers" (as my dad used to call them.).  We used to have to drug one of our dogs whenever we had to take her to the vet or we wouldn't even be able to get her in the car.

Quoting jabs54:

Quoting LadySaphira:

Support cancer awareness here #mce_temp_url#

jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 1, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting jabs54:

Quoting LadySaphira:

My sister in laws dog got Prozac because she got anxious and bit her husband.  It cured her and since then has been weaned off the drugs and is fine now.  

That is bizarre!?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)