Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Schedules don't match up this year for Easter

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:56 PM
  • 36 Replies
2 moms liked this

We won't be having a big Easter dinner this year.. Which is the first one ever. I don't think anyone is truly upset about it.

My husband has a new job and he will be on call. So, a high chance he would be called out. My brother usually can't have my niece on the actual holiday so we would usually get together another weekend. This time the weekend before Easter my son and his wife was with her family that was here from out of town.  My son should be with his wifes family on Easter day anyways.The weekend after Easter my daughter works Saturdays now due to she is a CPA. TAX SEASON!!  Then that Sunday we will be at the drag strip if the weather allows testing our race car before the first race of the season the next Saturday.

Since my kids are 26 and 25 and out of the home, and my Mom is no longer with us. This will be the 3 year without her. It  just doesn't feel the same. Also my brother who is now 40 has been distant so its hard to want to make plans with him. He hasn't even called to see what the plan was. 

On  this Saturday though our two year old grandson will be able to go to our towns Easter egg hunt  and we will meet them there.Afterwards my son, wife and him will come over for lunch. I will give them my Easter gifts. Then Sunday, April 3, my daughter and boyfriend who live an hour away will come and spend the day hopefully at the track. If it rains out here at our place.  I will give them my Easter things for them. My son and family will be with us also. 

I will still have time with my kids just differently. One post said her son is growing up~~~and he is 10. Its crazy when your kids are 26 and 25 and out on their own, and trying to make  a plan to get together. I am very lucky it will work out somehow and we don't live states apart. But, at times it still feels like it. How life takes over. 

Just needed to vent. Something different than normal. It will be cheaper and easier!!! There is always next year. 

by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadySaphira
by Lisa on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I usualy have to work Easter Sunday, this is the first one in several years tht I have not had to.

LEK19
Wintry mix...yuck!
Yesterday at 2:52 PM
by Group Admin on Mar. 24, 2016 at 10:15 AM

I have learned to be more flexible when it comes to holidays and seeing everybody. Often we have our holiday dinners not on that particular holiday. We will work around the most people able to make it. Sometimes no one can make it. And that is ok! We make up for it other ways!

jabs54
by Jeanine on Mar. 24, 2016 at 2:44 PM

I'm sorry things aren't working out on Easter.  I know it doesn't seem the same after our parents are gone, does it?!  I'm glad you'll get to see family later.

My dh has to work on Easter but he works 2nd shift so he'll still got to church and have lunch with us before work.  All 3 of my kids are coming with their families.  My youngest dd is a nurse and she is marrying a cop and moving a couple hours away so I know from now on we are not guaranteed to see them on holidays :(

campingmomof4
by on Mar. 24, 2016 at 3:11 PM

I understand about not being able to get together.  All 4 of my adult kids live in different states.  So we don't do holiday's.   The last few years haven't been the same sense my husband died.  Last year things started getting better because I have someone in my life again.   Holidays are much happier once again.  

This year Dan has to work.  So I am just going to make ham and bean soup.  He gets home late.  He can eat when he gets home. 

SeventiesChild
by Member on Mar. 24, 2016 at 3:46 PM

My sister and i are in the middle of a Cold War. i told her weeks ago i would be doing my own Easter with the kids since our older sister is coming down for a visit in 2 weeks, we could all visit then.  This morning she texted all my kids and invited them to my Dads for Easter (waaat?) and then sends me a copy of the text. confused

Esmrlda
by Esme on Mar. 24, 2016 at 5:13 PM

What a dirty move! Im sure they will go to your house but still...

Quoting SeventiesChild:

My sister and i are in the middle of a Cold War. i told her weeks ago i would be doing my own Easter with the kids since our older sister is coming down for a visit in 2 weeks, we could all visit then.  This morning she texted all my kids and invited them to my Dads for Easter (waaat?) and then sends me a copy of the text. confused

Esmrlda
by Esme on Mar. 24, 2016 at 5:15 PM

DD25 wont be coming home for Easter.  She keeps mentioning that she is going to miss it and that Easter just wont be the same.  LOL I think she is having a harder time of it than I am but she didnt come for last Easter either.  Its fine with me, when we have little ones then that will be a whole differnt ball game. 

happyolechimp
by Vera on Mar. 24, 2016 at 9:32 PM
I don't know what if any plans...we just moved to the town my daughter and grandkids live....I waited for her cue.
We lived over 700 miles away from them for 14 years...I'm STOKED just to be here...near
Marinefranksmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2016 at 10:02 PM

I hear ya.  My only child & his family live 5 states away so we don't get to spend holidays together.  My parents, inlaws and younger brother have all passed.  My husband works a job where he is also on call & works rotating 12 hrs shifts - he's often working on holidays.  He was supposed to be off for Easter, but guess what, he's working.  I just finished my rant about Easter plans.  Once again, I get to spend the holiday alone, then cook the dinner.  I am pulling extra singing duty at church this year because one of our soloists is ill.  Except for the beauty and religious significance of Easter, I'm not looking forward - I figure by 2PM I'll be dead on my feet.  I do hope you'll enjoy your Easter however you celebrate it.  

american flag ribbon

bluebunnybabe
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2016 at 10:04 PM
I usually do a big dinner but it didn't work out for us either. We're meeting my mom & stepdad halfway between their place & ours for dinner at Applebees. It's a bit of a drive but it will be nice to visit & not wash dishes after. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)