Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to Un-Shrink Clothes That Got Tiny in the Wash

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:18 AM
  • 3 Replies

It's a Snap: How to Un-Shrink Clothes That (Whoops!) Got Tiny in the Wash

Caroline Olney

We know you know that moment of pure terror when you pull a perfectly cute, perfectly sized shirt out of dryer and ... it's hardly a shirt anymore, it's so small. Heartbreaking? Yes. Reversible? We thought no, but we might have been wrong about that this whole time.

It's a complicated process, but for the sake of a normal-sized T, it's worth it. Here's what you need to do:

1. Fill a large container or sink with cool (not cold! Cool!) water and mix in 1/4 cup of hair conditioner.

2. Lay your shirt flat over the surface of the water and gently submerge it with your hands, keeping it as flat as possible. Let sit for 15 minutes.

3. Drain the conditioner water and replace it with clean, cool water. Squeeze out the extra conditioner from the shirt, and let it sit for 5 minutes. Repeat until all the conditioner water is out of the shirt.

4. Gently wring out the water and lay the shirt flat on a stack of clean towels. Gently stretch the shirt in whichever direction it needs -- the fibers should be soft enough by now that it'll pull fairly easily and keep its shape. 

5. Let the shirt air-dry on the stack of towels. If it's still not big enough, repeat the process until it's stretched to the size you want.
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
louannwilkins
by Louann on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Thanks!  I've had to do this before.  lol  :)

Why123
by Nancy on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:23 AM

I will have to remember that.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:12 PM

What about all the clothes that shrunk - without using the dryer??

I just had to ditch nearly a closetful of clothes that had all shrunk and it wasn't due to the dryer, either!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)