Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Great article on transitioning from parenting teens to parenting adults

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:54 PM
  • 1 Replies

parents remain mindful of their primal roles. Remember how the little child called "Watch me!" "Listen to me!" "See what I can do!" "Let me tell you what I did!" What was it the little child wanted? The answer is parental attention, interest, and approval, needs the adult child never really outgrows.

So when parents continue their roles as emotional supporter, as rapt audience, and as tireless cheerleader, what they have to offer their adult children never goes out of style, never loses lasting value.

Perhaps the German poet Rainer Maria Rilke described the optimal relationship between parents and adult child when he wrote: "Once the realization that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky."

by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 12, 2016 at 9:11 AM

I don't feel I parent my adult kids.  I do give opinions at times but I don't parent them.  Have to let them fly and do what they want.  

Of course they still want approval and have us be proud of them.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)