Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hubs doesn't get it… Any of you do this?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:39 AM
  • 15 Replies
I have always had a horrible memory. And it's been getting worse as I get older. On the upside it makes me for a very happy person because I can't hold on to anger or grudges… LOL

But when hubs is asking me to do a favour for him absolutely have to write it down. I have multiple lists all of the house for different things. He gets very frustrated and says if it was important to you, meaning if He was important to me, then i would simply remember it. This coming from a man who has the most unbelievable memory… He can remember his classmates names from kindergarten. I can't remember one teacher's name all the way through high school. The only teacher's name I remember is Miss cookie who taught me ballet in first grade… But how could you forget a name like Miss cookie.

So, anybody else's bad as me? Taking notes and lists for most everything in their life? Oh, and it has to be a written list… I am a special person and typing a list does not work for me. Also yellow notepads help me remember more than white notepads. Also been known to use different colours to help me remember things, and arrows and boxes too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:42 PM
I have pads of paper everywhere, but I also find myself writing on paper towels, etc. Haha. When I think of somethkng I have to write it down or forget about that!
I just assume its caused by fibromyalgia and aging (58).
I have my grocery list in my phone. One time I forgot to bring it. I stood there in the store like I was a visiting alien.
LEK19
by Group Admin on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Hey, I say, "Do whatever it takes!"

We have the opposite problem. Don is the one who forgets and I remember. I have noticed that there are times when things don't come as quickly as before but they usually do. This happens more when I am not sleeping well and am tired or stressed about something.

It did take a while for me to accept that Don is the way he is. Some things he can remember so well and, well, other things are in and out in no time. I did take it personally at times and I still will if it involves something I am sensitive about. 

KittyGram
by Becky on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:59 PM

No.  I'm like your husband.  I remember small details!  

My daughter, however, at age (almost 33) is horribly forgetful, and it drives me crazy!!  I try to be understanding.... she's raising 3 kids.... working full time..... has terrible back problems..... so I do try to be understanding.  But I do find myself thinking, if not saying, "If it was important enough to you....."

My sister (one of them) also has a bad memory, but she had a head injury at a young age, so I think it may have to do with that.  

Why123
by Nancy on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:47 PM

I can remember a lot of strange things.  I was reciting things I had learned in grade school in a college Psychology class.  The teacher said that I shouldn't be able to do that.  I am lucky that I work with a guy who helps me when I can't come up with the correct word.  I do it with my mom all of the time.  It is strange that I know the words she is looking for but I can't remember the ones I need.  Getting old sucks.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Apr. 20, 2016 at 2:37 PM

Getting older and having a lot on your plate doesn't help the brain cells.

I do make lists for things I want to remember but sometimes I'll forget to write them down.  lol.  I bring a grocery list to the store and can't tell you how many times I actually forget to look at it.  smh.

when I was married, though, quite a few years back, my husband would tell me something that I KNOW he had never mentioned before.  Then he'd accuse me of being forgetful and not in a nice way, either.  Back then, I had a great memory.  Thankfully, he's now and ex and he's dead.  lol.

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

If I recall correctly, your hubby is an attorney. They have good memories

Hubby and I live with four of them and they have really good memories for details.  The best memory is owned by the mildly Dyslexic SIL. It is one of his coping skills.

I have yellow pads to keep me on track.

I would not worry about this, unless it is something new happening to you.  However, if this is new, you may want to get some testing done and pray that it is a waste of several hundred dollars.  We have family members that found out via testing that they have Alzheimer's. I would rather have a bus run over me than face that one, but we don't get to choose.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Apr. 21, 2016 at 1:36 PM

I have always had a horrible memory. Some days I feel lucky if I remember my own name.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Apr. 21, 2016 at 2:20 PM

I have a bad memory.  I even talked to the doctor about it.  He told me 3 words to remember and at the end of the exam he asked me what the words were.  I could only remember 1.  He's like "Eh, it's ok"  Wth?!  Then why bother with asking me to remember, lol.

I'm fortunate that even though he has a good memory for some things he loses things all the time so he is very understanding about my bad memory.

Linagma03
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2016 at 2:22 PM
I have a good memory but I do make lists to remember really important things or like with groceries there is just to much stuff to remember.

DH has a horrible memory. I'm beginning to worry about it and am watching him closer to determine if he needs to be tested.
louannwilkins
by Louann on Apr. 21, 2016 at 8:55 PM

I think I have a pretty good memory BUT I do make lists.  All the time!!  The reason being is I have to keep up with my customers in Raleigh and here at the coast.  Those are the reg customers.  THEN I have to keep up with the condo cleanings which are seasonl.  So....I need lists.  This doesn't even count all the things I need to keep up with on a personal level.  lol  You should tell him you keep a list BECAUSE it's important to you.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)