Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quite random ...

Posted by on May. 8, 2016 at 11:24 AM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

There's a ladybug on my screen door.  No others that I can see. A child's rhyme came to mind, "Ladybug, ladybug, fly away home.  Your house is on fire and your children are all gone."  wth?  then i thought of "ring around the rosie, pockets full of posies, ashes, ashes they all fall down" and then "London bridge is falling down ... my fair lady" and then "Jack be nimble jack be quick Jack jump over the candlestick" and last "Three blind mice, see how they run.  they all ran after the farmer's wife who chopped off their tails with a carving knife"  - jeepers.  it dawned on me these children's rhymes were all so morbid.  wth?  like I said, random.

by on May. 8, 2016 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LadySaphira
by Lisa on May. 8, 2016 at 2:11 PM
2 moms liked this

morbid aren't they?

Don't forget:

rock-a-bye baby on the tree top

when the wind blows the cradle will rock

when the bough nreaks the cradle will fall down will come baby, cradle and all.

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2016 at 6:14 PM

I like ladybugs; they are so cute!

louannwilkins
by Louann on May. 8, 2016 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL  I remember all those!!  How about :
There was an old woman who lived in a shoe.
She had so many children, she didn't know what to do;
So she gave them some broth without any bread;
And she whipped them all soundly and sent them to bed.

I can remember this one too.  lol

Why123
by Nancy on May. 9, 2016 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

There was a ladybug on my windshield last week and I thought of the same rhyme.  Life was way different when there things were written.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on May. 9, 2016 at 10:09 AM

I was so curious about this particular rhyme that I Googled it.  Apparently farmers knew ladybugs were very beneficial to their crops controlling harmful other pests.  When the farmers would burn off their fields after harvest, they supposedly sang this to get the ladybugs out of the burning fields. 

Quoting Why123:

There was a ladybug on my windshield last week and I thought of the same rhyme.  Life was way different when there things were written.

Why123
by Nancy on May. 9, 2016 at 10:10 AM

Interesting.

Quoting suzeebloch:

I was so curious about this particular rhyme that I Googled it.  Apparently farmers knew ladybugs were very beneficial to their crops controlling harmful other pests.  When the farmers would burn off their fields after harvest, they supposedly sang this to get the ladybugs out of the burning fields. 

Quoting Why123:

LEK19
by Group Admin on May. 9, 2016 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Many of the nursery rhymes have political messages, too. They were often sung in pubs and gatherings of people as a type of political satire or protest.

One that comes to mind is

Georgey Porgey Pudding and Pie,

Kissed the girls and made them cry.

When the boys came out to play,

Georgey Porgey ran away!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)