Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frustrated with the Old Guys In Shorts

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:59 AM
  • 5 Replies
OK, so they aren't old but I'm talking about the Leaders.

I'll try to make it short....

The Cub Scout pack that is linked to our Boy Scout Pack was given the opportunity to sell water at the local Craft/Art fair. It's a huge thing because the city only let's one group do this. The pack is small and offered it to the Troop (the leader of the pack also has a son in the troop). I have to add the Pack sells pretzels there also.

So the Troop has scrambled to get the boys there to sell, the Troop bought the water, the Troop parents are doing all the work. Last night I start seeing texts saying that the Troop needs more boys to sell pretzels and water.... then when I question why we are trying to get more boys for the pretzels, I'm told that it's all one sale because the Pack only has a few boys and one is sick. I'm also told that the water sale is taking away from the preztel sale.

When I question this, the leader of the Pack tells me that him and the Troop leader have talked about spilting the water sale profit ($5000 or more). When I, as the Committee Chairman, state that's a decision that needs to be made with the whole Committee, he "reminds" me that the Troop was only invited by the Pack and even if the Troop hadn't helped the Pack would have still done both the water and pretzel sale.

I ended the conversation with saying that I needed to leave the convo and that we would talk it out today. I'm pretty angry. It was never stated that the profits would be shared. AND if the Pack would have done it anyway but don't even have the boys to cover the sale, I have a hard time with that argument.

I think I would have been OK with sharing some profit but to present it to me through text like this is pissing me off. I don't even want to go and help today.....

Am I over-reacting?
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Goobergal
by Marian on Aug. 6, 2016 at 9:01 AM

Can't say.... Are they always double dealing?  Ignore.  Best I can say.  Moms are horrid and dads worse in these positions.  Hat said, in Boy Scouts, moms are really looked at some kind of way.  At least it's been the case where I've seen it.  I tended to be the good little woman and defer, mostly because I knew they were puffed up idiots who needed to be good about it and two, many really were good guys, so I gave em there moment, and three, often no dad around for my boys.  Was I condescending?  Sure,  but I picked my battles.  There were many at that gawd awful dance school. Now there's stupid drama 

woolftwo
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 9:31 AM

I completely agree with you. Had the same type of problems when my son was that age. This sort of thing always got me ticked off . And it seemed like they really didn't like it when the Mom's were active in it. (I had no choice, my son's father wasn't around) My son seemed to always be upset with them because they were always so unorganized, hyper, and loud. He ended up asking if we could not go anymore. And I was actually very relieved when he did.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Idiots like those are the reason why I pulled both of my boys out of scouting. They had really crappy leaders.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Situations like this are just some of the things I would hear about when Chad was small.  He didn't want to go into the scouts and I was kind of glad after some of the stories I heard.  I don't think you're over reacting at all

Goobergal
by Marian on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:03 PM
It is sad for the boys. It's a great program. One of mine lost interest at about 15. His dad took some role in it and when he went wackadoo, he lost interest. Not to mention they were not doing the things he wanted to do at some point. He also wanted to do more adult things and so many young ones about didn't help. I am glad he did it. He got to do a beautiful hike in New Mexico as well.

My other son went all the way thru to eagle. And he really needed it. His father never participated and just was absent in his growing up. But the other dads stepped up during the formative years. We were a military family so we have had experience in many different troops. And some were amazing. If your boys are interesting, find that sweet troop
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)