• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ospreys

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:04 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you have Osprey where you live? They're water birds. In various locations along the coast/rivers here (Maine), the Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife set platforms way up high on top of things, like lightpoles on bridges, etc. This is to encourage the Osprey to build their nests along the waterways for easy fishing, and encourage the growth of the population. 

There is a huge cable bridge that we go over sometimes, and there are a pair of Osprey in the nest. Today after dog training I stopped to get some pics. They are huge birds. They are about 25" in length, with a 70" wingspan. Because their diet is 90% fish, they have a reversable outer talon, which helps grab the fish and hold it 'on the fly'. They don't start breeding until they are 3 years old.

I stayed quite awhile, and the Mr. kept picking up his fish from where he landed and flying around with it. He could see me standing on the side of the road, and no doubt saw the huge lens, and may have thought it a gun (?). Mrs. never left the nest, so I'm guessing there were either eggs or new babies in there, and he was hesitant to go directly to the nest, thinking I was a threat.

by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Aren't they beautiful birds?  I have not seen any here in MO but out in MD and VA they're alot of them along the Potomac River. They were almost extinct in that area along with the bald eagle because of all the polution ithat was in the water. But since the Potomac has been cleaned up and there isn't no more dumping of contaminates in the water, they've came back strong.

Here are some picture of some nesting pairs I saw when I was on vacation at Colonial Beach VA in 2015.

There were at least two young ones in the nest. I stood there and was so close I watched them feeding them for awhile.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I have seen a few in Illinois. They are fun to watch.
jabs54
by Jeanine on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

They look kind of like hawks.  They're pretty!   The other day my dh saw a hawk grab a robin out of the tree and fly off with him.

smokeyjo
by Jozie on Aug. 7, 2016 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Last summer we discovered we have an osprey living at our lake. I haven't spent enough time down there this year to see it but I do hear it from time to time.
Linagma03
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2016 at 1:41 AM
1 mom liked this

That is beautiful.

Here we have Bald Eagle nesting areas and a couple of places where Hawks nest every year that the offices have put camera's that live stream them from when they begin the nest building all the way until the chicks fledge. It is really neat to watch. I think the one that comes and nests at the news building is a Perigrin Falcon. I live in the Pacific NW I don't know if we have Ospreys or not but we have a lot of birds of prey around here. 

drfink
by Member on Aug. 7, 2016 at 3:28 AM

Quoting jabs54:

They look kind of like hawks.  They're pretty!   The other day my dh saw a hawk grab a robin out of the tree and fly off with him.

A couple of days ago a hawk grabbed a bird out of a tree in our front yard. The hawk must have had a bad grip because the headless body dropped in our yard as the hawk flew off. 

YAY ha

It was before 11 am and around 90 degrees so I couldn't follow through with my plan ...act like I didn't see it and let my husband discover it and clean the gory mess up after he got home. I was worried about it rotting in the heat and one of my cats getting into it.

Next time I'm not going to watch lol

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Aug. 7, 2016 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

none here but they are beautiful.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Aug. 7, 2016 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

They are here in NC some, yes.  Beautiful aren't they  :)

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2016 at 10:12 AM

They do look like hawks! Your story reminded me of when I was in VA Beach, laying outside on a blanket with the baby. I looked up and saw a hark swoop down and grab a bird from the tree. I was amazed!

Quoting jabs54:

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2016 at 10:14 AM

I've only been learning about Osprey this year. I think I always thought they were hawks when I saw them. Apparently Osprey live all over the world, unlike most birds that have certain climates, etc. 

Quoting Linagma03:

That is beautiful.

Here we have Bald Eagle nesting areas and a couple of places where Hawks nest every year that the offices have put camera's that live stream them from when they begin the nest building all the way until the chicks fledge. It is really neat to watch. I think the one that comes and nests at the news building is a Perigrin Falcon. I live in the Pacific NW I don't know if we have Ospreys or not but we have a lot of birds of prey around here. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)