Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is wrong with this picture??

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 1:59 PM
  • 30 Replies

So one of my projects for today (since the Chiefs aren't on TV anyway) is to apply for Affordable Care Act for 2017.

First, I thought I'd figure out my income from 2016.

Get this.  One of my doctors ALWAYS tacks on a $100 'holiday bonus' to the check he mails me in December.  It is always so sweet of him to do this, too, and is so appreciated.  HOWEVER, I just made my calculations if he adds the $100 holiday bonus to my check, that will PUT ME OVER for what I estimated for ACA for 2016 and I WILL END UP PAYING A PENALTY FOR THE SUBSIDIES I TOOK FOR 2016.  So I just sent him an email.

What the heck is WRONG with that PICTURE?

sheez.  I cannot win for losing!!!!!!!!!

by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cenedra64
by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:16 PM

you would think that a bonus wouldn't count into it.  It's just that. A bonus.  Am i wrong?   I dunno.  I got a headache and trying to help you think LOL 

jabs54
by Jeanine on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Yup, that's ObamaCare for ya!

angry

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 11, 2016 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Cenedra64:

you would think that a bonus wouldn't count into it.  It's just that. A bonus.  Am i wrong?   I dunno.  I got a headache and trying to help you think LOL 

it's still considered income and is included on the 1099 he will send me.

grrr.

yes dealing with this gives me a headache, too.  I went to ACA and overestimated my income for 2017 and was told I don't qualify for any subsidy at all!  So Googled it, found out the maximum income I can get to qualify and just submitted that.  I sure hope I don't make more than that in 2017.  This is just so freaking wrong.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 11, 2016 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jabs54:

Yup, that's ObamaCare for ya!

angry

My concern is if ACA gets repealed, I can't afford health insurance at all.  The premium without a subsidy is $689 a month, with a $6500 deductible/$7150 annual out-of-pocket. 

and if it gets repealed, I feel badly for those with pre-existing conditions who will either have to grow an extra arm/leg because it will cost them 3 arms and 3 legs if they can get coverage at all.  Like my son with the brain tumor. 

what a mess. 

MonarchMom22
by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Wow, that is a strange situation.  All subsidies and program have to establish income limits, so there will always be some that are right at the cutoff.   Do you have business expenses that offset your income?  Such as home office use, postage, supplies, etc.? If so, that might be the way for you to get a more accurate way to determine income.

Cenedra64
by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

what I think is ridiculous is when people are over just by $2 of the income level and can't get help.  Medical, foodstamps etc.

Quoting MonarchMom22:

Wow, that is a strange situation.  All subsidies and program have to establish income limits, so there will always be some that are right at the cutoff.   Do you have business expenses that offset your income?  Such as home office use, postage, supplies, etc.? If so, that might be the way for you to get a more accurate way to determine income.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 11, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Quoting MonarchMom22:

My expenses are minimal since I'm self employed.  I'm playing it safe, however, by asking him NOT to give me the bonus.

It's may be the thought that counts, but just give me the thought.  not the additional penalty.  LOL.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 11, 2016 at 5:15 PM

the thing is, I OVERESTIMATED when I filled out the 2016 ACA application based on my 2015 income.  I live paycheck to paycheck and haven't been keeping track of how much I'm earning - until today. 

Somewhere along the way, I've managed to earn nearly $6000 more than I did last year.  weird.

Quoting Cenedra64:

what I think is ridiculous is when people are over just by $2 of the income level and can't get help.  Medical, foodstamps etc.

Quoting MonarchMom22:

Cenedra64
by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 5:20 PM

man....and medicaid won't approve unless you're making next to nothing. 

Quoting suzeebloch:

the thing is, I OVERESTIMATED when I filled out the 2016 ACA application based on my 2015 income.  I live paycheck to paycheck and haven't been keeping track of how much I'm earning - until today. 

Somewhere along the way, I've managed to earn nearly $6000 more than I did last year.  weird.

Quoting Cenedra64:

Quoting MonarchMom22:

HaloSue
by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 5:26 PM
Why bother with those deductibles and monthly payments. Wait for T4umps medical insurance plans. Suppose to do those immediately and most go back 3-6 months like medicare and Medicaid. MEANWHILE use your health department.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)