Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any active Jewish Mama's in this group? Edit

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 8:51 PM
  • 19 Replies

One of my good friends that I don't get to see very often because of distance just lost her mom today. Her mom and many in the family are practicing Jews.

I know flowers is a no-no to send, but what would be truly appreciated? She lives on Long Island, NY.

I did a lot of searching for the right place to send something for the family. They are currently in another state and not in their home state of NY. I wanted something that honored the family, the traditions and was correct according to their synagogue. Not an easy task. Thank you for all of the responses and suggestion.

by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cenedra64
by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:40 PM

Hi.  I was married to a Jewish man.  I didn't even know this.  So I did a little researching on traditions of Jewish funerals this might help:

http://www.shiva.com/learning-center/what-to-bring-or-send/flowers-and-jewish-mourning/

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 12, 2016 at 4:26 AM
2 moms liked this

I have several friends/acquaintences who are Jewish but I didn't know this either.  The link Cenedra provided was very interesting and educational.  Nice to have this information tucked away for future knowledge.

suesues
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2016 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I was married to a jewish man i would send some kind of food or a biggy is they plant a tree in there honor 

rosebud727
by Rose on Dec. 12, 2016 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks, I have looked at several sites as well. I was on this site earlier before I posted this. I guess what I was asking is what would be more appreciated.

Quoting Cenedra64:

Hi.  I was married to a Jewish man.  I didn't even know this.  So I did a little researching on traditions of Jewish funerals this might help:

http://www.shiva.com/learning-center/what-to-bring-or-send/flowers-and-jewish-mourning/

rosebud727
by Rose on Dec. 12, 2016 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks, having a tree planted in Israel was suggested, only I think each child may want to have a tree planted in her honor at their residence.

Quoting suesues:

I was married to a jewish man i would send some kind of food or a biggy is they plant a tree in there honor 

Element5
by Member on Dec. 12, 2016 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this
She is sitting "shiva" you get food since she can not cook.
rosebud727
by Rose on Dec. 12, 2016 at 9:49 AM

Okay...thanks. I cannot cook for her. I'm 3000 miles away so I'm looking for available options at this point.

Quoting Element5: She is sitting "shiva" you get food since she can not cook.

wamimsauthor
by on Dec. 12, 2016 at 9:52 AM
Could you contact a place that's local to her and have food delivered?

Quoting rosebud727:

Okay...thanks. I cannot cook for her. I'm 3000 miles away so I'm looking for available options at this point.

rosebud727
by Rose on Dec. 12, 2016 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I just reached out to a local bakery with good reviews. They're about 30 minutes away but said they could deliver.

Quoting wamimsauthor: Could you contact a place that's local to her and have food delivered?
Quoting rosebud727:

jabs54
by Jeanine on Dec. 12, 2016 at 2:03 PM

I never knew that you can't send flowers.  So there are NO flowers at a Jewish funeral?  Why?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)