Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

well drat

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 4:15 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

The Chiefs are playing the Steelers on Sunday.  The game was supposed to start at 12:05 central time.  Because of the impending inclement weather, they've changed the time - to 7:20 P. FREAKING M. 

I guess I can do my Monday morning EMW on Sunday, then stay up to watch the game, and start with the FL group at 6 on Monday.

darn it, mother nature!  Why did you have to get in the way of my watching the game and keeping to my regular schedule?

lol.

by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
valkay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 4:39 PM
I had not heard that. They keep moving the storm start
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:31 PM

Quoting valkay: I had not heard that. They keep moving the storm start

yeah, they made the decision a couple hours ago

Kansas City Chiefs
12-4, 1st in AFC West
NFL Divisional Round
Sunday, January 15, 7:20 PM on NBC
Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, Missouri
Pittsburgh
Steelers

Kansas City
Chiefs

kuntrylady56
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 6:41 PM

Hopefully they won't make it any later. Glad I saw this,don't know if hubby heard about it or not since he is at work this evening.  One of Larrys friends was supposed to be going up to see the game,hopefully he left early and got a hotel room.

1squishysmom
by Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:03 PM
For us in Pittsburgh, it's 8:20! Not too pleased about it either.
emmygirl31
by Angie on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:50 PM

2 things you cant fight---city hall and mother nature

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:04 PM

LOL  I'm glad you can at least figure out a way to change work around a little bit and still watch it!  :)

How is the weather there now?  Hope it doesn't get bad!!  :)

annie-durham
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:32 PM

I've noticed in the daily post that you work some very strange hours.  What exactly is your job?

I hope they get the game played and the weather isn't too bad for everyone.  

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 14, 2017 at 7:00 AM

Quoting annie-durham:

I've noticed in the daily post that you work some very strange hours.  What exactly is your job?

"strange hours" ?  LOL.

First, I'm single/solo, have no SO, my kids are grown and on their own.

I'm a medical transcriptionist and I work from home.  I have 4 of my own local clients but that's not enough income to survive, so I also work for a company in Florida (FL group)

My parents are elderly and live 1.5 miles from me.  Mom will be 85 in February and has Alzheimer's disease.  Dad will be 84 in March.  I take them to their doctors appointments, and go over 3 times a week to help with laundry, give mom a bath, moral support for my dad.

I am a volunteer in the Gmail Help Forum (GHF)

With the FL group, my self-chosen schedule is Mon-Fri 6 a.m. to noon, and Sat/Sun 7 a.m. to noon.  

I get up as early in the morning as I can, so I can get my clients
 work done first (I refer to this as my "Early Morning Work" (EMW), then have time to dabble in the GHF before starting with the FL group.

I've had my clients since 1994 so my first loyalty is to them.  I must have income so the FL group is next.  My parents, of course, are my ultimate first priority and so that's why I have afternoons off to take care of them. 

Being a volunteer in the Gmail Help Forum is my "hobby" and I love helping users although one of the Google managers I have to deal with is a PITA.  But the love of helping users overcomes the crap I put up with from the managers.  lol.  Still, it's only a volunteer gig so everything else comes first.  And that's why my goal is to be up before 2 a.m. during the week.  I don't set alarms over the weekend but was up this morning, for example, at 5:30.  I had about 90 "spare" minutes before having to start with the FL group at 7 a.m. so I have time to dabble here at MWAK and then over to the GHF for a bit.

I've had my own clients since 1994 and have worked in several "office" jobs since that time - and I always get my clients done first - so getting up at 4:30 had been routine for the longest time.  In 2006, I started working for a transcription company in FL and have worked from home since - with the exception that I worked for a law firm 2011-2013 but quit that and have been at home since and my current "strange hours" have evolved to what they are today since 2013.  it works for me!  I wear foam ear plugs to sleep and a mask during the summertime when the sun is still shining at my 6 p.m. lights out time.

annie-durham
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2017 at 8:24 AM

Well good for you and you are certainly busy but it seems to work for you.

I've never worked shifts but I guess you do get used to them eventually.

My son recently started working for a large airline here in canada as a "ground mechanic" working on equipment and vehicles on the tarmac.  He starts shifts on tuesday.  He will be working from 7pm to 7am for 4 days then has 4 days off.  This will be for a few years probably until some of the older guys retire and he can bid on a better shift.  I told him I thought his body would get used to it.

We are dealing with similiar issues with my mom now.  She is 91 and has dementia.  Early days yet but its hard.  She lives with my younger sister who is not married ever since my dad died 5 years ago.  My younger sister does work part time though as they need the income and I go over and help out with mom.  She can be left on her own for a few hours but not sure how long that will continue.  Your dad deserves a medal though I'm sure its not easy dealing with it 24/7 but I guess "for better or for worse and in sickness and in health" comes into play doesnt' it?

Quoting suzeebloch:

Quoting annie-durham:

"strange hours" ?  LOL.

First, I'm single/solo, have no SO, my kids are grown and on their own.

I'm a medical transcriptionist and I work from home.  I have 4 of my own local clients but that's not enough income to survive, so I also work for a company in Florida (FL group)

My parents are elderly and live 1.5 miles from me.  Mom will be 85 in February and has Alzheimer's disease.  Dad will be 84 in March.  I take them to their doctors appointments, and go over 3 times a week to help with laundry, give mom a bath, moral support for my dad.

I am a volunteer in the Gmail Help Forum (GHF)

With the FL group, my self-chosen schedule is Mon-Fri 6 a.m. to noon, and Sat/Sun 7 a.m. to noon.  

I get up as early in the morning as I can, so I can get my clients work done first (I refer to this as my "Early Morning Work" (EMW), then have time to dabble in the GHF before starting with the FL group.

I've had my clients since 1994 so my first loyalty is to them.  I must have income so the FL group is next.  My parents, of course, are my ultimate first priority and so that's why I have afternoons off to take care of them. 

Being a volunteer in the Gmail Help Forum is my "hobby" and I love helping users although one of the Google managers I have to deal with is a PITA.  But the love of helping users overcomes the crap I put up with from the managers.  lol.  Still, it's only a volunteer gig so everything else comes first.  And that's why my goal is to be up before 2 a.m. during the week.  I don't set alarms over the weekend but was up this morning, for example, at 5:30.  I had about 90 "spare" minutes before having to start with the FL group at 7 a.m. so I have time to dabble here at MWAK and then over to the GHF for a bit.

I've had my own clients since 1994 and have worked in several "office" jobs since that time - and I always get my clients done first - so getting up at 4:30 had been routine for the longest time.  In 2006, I started working for a transcription company in FL and have worked from home since - with the exception that I worked for a law firm 2011-2013 but quit that and have been at home since and my current "strange hours" have evolved to what they are today since 2013.  it works for me!  I wear foam ear plugs to sleep and a mask during the summertime when the sun is still shining at my 6 p.m. lights out time.

Cenedra64
by on Jan. 14, 2017 at 8:55 AM
I don't follow sports but this was funny. My coiusin in law is still elated that her Packers won a game. Now they gotta face the Cowboys. I had to go oiut last night and put her Packers tag on the front of her new van. I told her she needs a new tag that faded looks like crap on a new van. So she gave me $ to get her one lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)