Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

White Chicken Chili - a recipe!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM
  • 11 Replies

I made this for dinner last night - oh, sooooo good!!!!

I made it on the stove top, and cooked it for an hour.  I don't have time during the week for crock pots - and I'm gone too long during the day to use one then... I get dried out food when I try that.

My house smelled so good while it was cooking!!!

I've never made white chicken chili before - this recipe is a keeper!!

White Chicken Chili

Adapted from Bhg.com

Makes: 6 servings    9 SP's

Prep: 25 mins     Cook: 8 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4-5 hours (high)

3 (15 ounce) cans Great Northern, pinto, or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained

2 ½ cups chopped cooked chicken (I used a mix of white and dark meat, from a rotisserie chicken)

1 cup chopped onion (1 large)

1 ½ cups chopped red, green, and/or yellow sweet pepper (2 medium)

2 fresh jalapeno chile peppers, seeded and chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 teaspoons ground cumin

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed

3 ½ cups fat free chicken broth

In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker stir together the drained beans, chicken, onion, sweet pepper, jalapeno pepper, garlic, cumin, salt, and oregano. Stir in chicken broth.

Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.

If desired, top each serving with shredded cheese and broken tortilla chips (not calculated in SP's).

by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LEK19
by Group Admin on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:27 AM
2 moms liked this

I make White Chili quite often. It is one of Anna's favorites. I make it a few different ways depending on the time I have (just like other chilis).

Try toasting the cumin seeds in a dry pan ahead of time and grinding. It gives it a whole different taste. I also add salsa verde instead of the jalapeno which Anna and I don't care for. 

Besides the beans you used, we gently stir in black beans towards the end and Anna dubbed it Polka Dot Chili years ago. We make it that way now!

My chili is a creamy version most of the time. Sometimes I make it with just the broth. My family prefers the creamy.

I am glad you found a new recipe you like!!!

village.idiot
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Yum! I think I might top with a dollop of sour cream as well.
atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I love white chicken chili.  Mine has alfredo sauce in it.  

KittyGram
by Becky on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:53 AM

Quoting LEK19:

I make White Chili quite often. It is one of Anna's favorites. I make it a few different ways depending on the time I have (just like other chilis).

Try toasting the cumin seeds in a dry pan ahead of time and grinding. It gives it a whole different taste. I also add salsa verde instead of the jalapeno which Anna and I don't care for. 

Besides the beans you used, we gently stir in black beans towards the end and Anna dubbed it Polka Dot Chili years ago. We make it that way now!

My chili is a creamy version most of the time. Sometimes I make it with just the broth. My family prefers the creamy.

I am glad you found a new recipe you like!!!

Polka Dot Chili!  I love it!!!

KittyGram
by Becky on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:54 AM

Quoting atlmom2:

That sounds really good, but it would definitely be more Smart Points!!!  I originally thought this recipe was only 6 Smart Points.... I'm not sure what I missed when calculating.  But it's really good, so I'll make do with the 9 SP!!

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I haven't made it since I have been watching calories either!!!  Yours sounds great.  

Quoting KittyGram:

Quoting atlmom2:

That sounds really good, but it would definitely be more Smart Points!!!  I originally thought this recipe was only 6 Smart Points.... I'm not sure what I missed when calculating.  But it's really good, so I'll make do with the 9 SP!!

KittyGram
by Becky on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:26 PM

It's a keeper!

Quoting atlmom2:

Yes, I haven't made it since I have been watching calories either!!!  Yours sounds great.  

Quoting KittyGram:

Quoting atlmom2:

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I make one that is no gluten low carbs similar to yours but no beans and lean hamburger or ground turkey.  

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

This sounds SO GOOD!!  I WILL be making this and probably very soon!  Thanks!!

.Holly.
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I make this often in the crock pot.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)