Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Hard Is It For You To...

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 8:41 PM
  • 20 Replies

Say no to your grand kids?  Because I just turn into a puddle at their feet and say, "Anything you want Hon."  I am such a pushover!

by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saphira1207
by Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 8:55 PM

lol

my parents had that problem at first too!

they got over it, and so will you.  It just takes time.

I imagine I'll be the same way if my kids ever have their own.  They are, thankfully, planning on waiting to do that for a while.  *whew*

Marinefranksmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:20 PM

Well, I could be a huge pushover, lol!!  But, I'm not that much, and here's why: my MIL (may she rest in peace), took spoiling to a whole new art form, and not in a good way.  She drove me and my husband crazy with her antics - to name a few, she'd disappear with our son & not tell us where they went; she'd buy pieces of junk from the dollar store and she gave him crap for snacks, all because that's what she thought he wanted.  She was wrong.  He was very devoted to his Nana and the dumb things she did made him feel bad, even as a little kid.  I don't get to see my 2 grandkids more than a couple of times a year as they live 800 miles away.  So, I do indulge in grandmothering: I always have little gifts for them in my luggage when I arrive, I treat them to stuff like ice cream and gift shop items (just 1 each) on outings, I keep them up a little past their bedtime to read to them or watch a movie, I take them to IHOP for breakfast, let them order anything, and put syrup on their eggs.  I let them play with whatever toys they want and I help them put them away. My lap is always open to them (they are 6 & 3).  But I don't do anything their parents wouldn't approve of & I never, ever, take them anywhere that my son & DIL don't know about, and if late, I call. My son & DIL are doing a great job raising their kids, and I don't want to mess that up.  By the same token, they let me be the Grandma. And yes, often, I'm a pushover for those cute lil faces coming at me yelling, "hi, Grandma!!"

Glitch202
by Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Nothing like the sound of pounding feet followed by, "GRANNY!!"!  Take them without my daughter's okay?  She skeers me too much!  I indulge a little.  They are of an age that giving them $10 is pretty good, more for birthdays and holidays.  Clothes for the girls and geek tech for my grandson.  They live three hours away and I don't get to see them often enough.  Our pick up broke down and my car is a piece of crap so until I can get a more dependable ride...  

Quoting Marinefranksmom:

Well, I could be a huge pushover, lol!!  But, I'm not that much, and here's why: my MIL (may she rest in peace), took spoiling to a whole new art form, and not in a good way.  She drove me and my husband crazy with her antics - to name a few, she'd disappear with our son & not tell us where they went; she'd buy pieces of junk from the dollar store and she gave him crap for snacks, all because that's what she thought he wanted.  She was wrong.  He was very devoted to his Nana and the dumb things she did made him feel bad, even as a little kid.  I don't get to see my 2 grandkids more than a couple of times a year as they live 800 miles away.  So, I do indulge in grandmothering: I always have little gifts for them in my luggage when I arrive, I treat them to stuff like ice cream and gift shop items (just 1 each) on outings, I keep them up a little past their bedtime to read to them or watch a movie, I take them to IHOP for breakfast, let them order anything, and put syrup on their eggs.  I let them play with whatever toys they want and I help them put them away. My lap is always open to them (they are 6 & 3).  But I don't do anything their parents wouldn't approve of & I never, ever, take them anywhere that my son & DIL don't know about, and if late, I call. My son & DIL are doing a great job raising their kids, and I don't want to mess that up.  By the same token, they let me be the Grandma. And yes, often, I'm a pushover for those cute lil faces coming at me yelling, "hi, Grandma!!"

Glitch202
by Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:43 PM

It's been thirteen years!  When is it gonna wear off?!

Quoting Saphira1207:

lol

I imagine I'll be the same way if my kids ever have their own.  They are, thankfully, planning on waiting to do that for a while.  *whew*

Marinefranksmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:57 PM

Sounds like you're a "normal Grandma", lol!  Clothes and toys, well of course, that goes with the territory!  And yes, a few bucks in their cards - Christmas, birthdays, Valentines Day, St. Patricks Day, etc.  My car is dependable for getting to work and around, but I wouldn't take it on an 800 mile road trip, or I'd jump into it and go more often.  (When I do visit, I fly, it's a 2 hr trip.) I hope you get a reliable ride soon!  I'm sure they miss you too.

Quoting Glitch202:

Nothing like the sound of pounding feet followed by, "GRANNY!!"!  Take them without my daughter's okay?  She skeers me too much!  I indulge a little.  They are of an age that giving them $10 is pretty good, more for birthdays and holidays.  Clothes for the girls and geek tech for my grandson.  They live three hours away and I don't get to see them often enough.  Our pick up broke down and my car is a piece of crap so until I can get a more dependable ride...  

Quoting Marinefranksmom:

american flag ribbon

Why123
by Nancy on Mar. 21, 2017 at 9:04 AM

I have no problem saying no.  When my grandkids were small I really didn't have the money to spoil them.  My first granddaughter would look at something she wanted in the store, look at me, then sigh and say "Not right now."  Now there are just too many of them.  I have 11 grands and 4 great grands.  I send money for Christmas and birthdays.  Most of them don't live close enough for me to see on a regular basis.

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine are little, so there really isn't anything to say no to. I sort of think 'spoiling' is giving/doing what the parents don't. In one childs case, it meant spending most of the day outside, in the woods, discovering, playing at the waterfall, learning what everything in the Maine woods was. (They live in Florida) Another one is still 'baby', but I can see that he is learning to discover.

Saphira1207
by Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 10:22 AM

:D  Oh!  well then .....   ummmm ....i have only one thing for you.

A quote from a plaque my kids got for their grands.

"Grandparents - So easy to operate .... even a child can do it."

Quoting Glitch202:

It's been thirteen years!  When is it gonna wear off?!

Quoting Saphira1207:

lol

jabs54
by Jeanine on Mar. 21, 2017 at 2:55 PM

I don't see them very much so don't have to say no to them ;)

Esmrlda
by Esme on Mar. 21, 2017 at 3:00 PM

I dont have any grandchildren yet, but Im not going to let her get her way all the time.  Shes going to learn respect and patience.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)