Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Recipe - Slow Cooker Spicy Brown Rice and Black Bean Cheesy Bowl

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 1:50 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is one my daughter has made for her family just a couple times... she made it for my birthday dinner, and Oliver was upset that there wasn't enough for him to have leftovers. So he and I made it (I made it, really!!) when he was over this weekend. Very very good!! Oliver ate it without the green onions, and is not aware that there are onions *in* it as well, because he "doesn't like onions"!!!!! And of course he doesn't use hot sauce. I do!!! My favorite is Tabasco.

The recipe is from kalynskitchen.com. She posts very healthy recipes, for anyone interested.

Slow Cooker Spicy Brown Rice and Black Bean Cheesy Bowl
from kalynskitchen.com
(Makes about 6 servings; recipe inspired by Slow Cooker Mexican Rice at Six Sisters' Stuff.)

1 small onion, chopped
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 cans black beans (15 oz. each), rinsed well and drained (or you can use 3 cups cooked black beans)
1 cup uncooked brown rice 
1 or 2 cans diced Anaheim green chiles, 4 oz. each (This was just slightly spicy but you might only want one can if you're making for kids - I used one can)
1 can vegetable broth (14 oz.) (didn't have it - thought I did - used chicken broth instead)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. Mexican oregano (don't have it, used Italian seasoning blend instead)
1 small packet Goya Sazon (optional, but it adds a lot of flavor - I didn't have it)
6 pieces Mozzarella string cheese (or use 6 oz. low-fat cheese and cut into small cubes; cheese is optional - I used home-shredded medium cheddar instead, from a block of Crystal Farms cheese - Wisconsin-made cheese! My favorite brand these days)
1 bunch green onions, sliced (about 1 cup, more or less to taste) 
For serving: salsa, diced avocado, low-fat sour cream, hot sauce

Spray the inside of a 3-4 quart slow cooker with non-stick spray. Chop up the onion. If using canned beans, rinse in a colander placed in the sink (until no more foam appears) and let the beans drain.

Put diced onion, minced garlic, black beans, rice, vegetable broth, diced green chiles, ground cumin, Mexican oregano, and Sazon (if using) into the slow cooker. Cook on high for 1 hour 45 minutes. (If you have an older model slow cooker or use a different type of brown rice, your cooking time may be longer.)

Cut 6 sticks Mozzarella string cheese into slices (or cut 6 oz. cheese into cubes if not using string cheese.) Gently stir the cheese into the rice and bean mixture and cook 20-30 minutes more, or until the rice is done and the cheese is melting. Chop up desired amount of green onions. Turn off heat, stir in the green onions, and serve hot with salsa, diced avocado, and low-fat sour cream to add at the table.

by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yum! I have everything one hand to make this so it's now on the menu for later this week. Thanks!

KittyGram
by Becky on Apr. 25, 2017 at 1:48 AM
My daughter says this will be a frequent dinner! So good!!

Quoting JenniferW67:

Oh yum! I have everything one hand to make this so it's now on the menu for later this week. Thanks!

LEK19
by Group Admin on Apr. 25, 2017 at 9:22 AM

I do make a very similar dish quite often. I don't use a crockpot though.

Basically the same ingredients except I don't use packaged seasonings to be able to cut my salt more.

I love beans and rice mixtures with or without meat. I sprinkle a Mexican cheese blend on top.

I chop onions very small in the main dish and serve the green on the side just like you did! Anna doesn't mind onions as long as they are not so big and noticeable, otherwise, she will pick them out.

KittyGram
by Becky on Apr. 25, 2017 at 9:34 AM

I'll have to check the sodium contents on the Goya next time I'm at the grocery store, since I'm watching mine more closely than I ever have before.  I've used it only in split pea soup up till now.  Didn't even know I was out when I did my shopping last week.  

The Italian seasoning blend is just the Italian herbs, no sodium in that one.

Quoting LEK19:

Basically the same ingredients except I don't use packaged seasonings to be able to cut my salt more.

I love beans and rice mixtures with or without meat. I sprinkle a Mexican cheese blend on top.

I chop onions very small in the main dish and serve the green on the side just like you did! Anna doesn't mind onions as long as they are not so big and noticeable, otherwise, she will pick them out.

LEK19
by Group Admin on Apr. 25, 2017 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I really enjoy different sauces and salsa. Many of those, as you probably already know, are high in sodium. My next project might be how to make some of those and control the sodium content better.

I have also been working on my own spice/herb blends. You can find ideas for them on-line sometimes. Remember what I said about lemon? You can buy lemon rind and add to blends in place of salt.

A few squirts of lime is great on the bean and rice dishes.

Quoting KittyGram:

I'll have to check the sodium contents on the Goya next time I'm at the grocery store, since I'm watching mine more closely than I ever have before.  I've used it only in split pea soup up till now.  Didn't even know I was out when I did my shopping last week.  

Quoting LEK19:

KittyGram
by Becky on Apr. 25, 2017 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Ah!  I wasn't thinking about the Tabasco.  I'll have to take a look at that one too.

Quoting LEK19:

I really enjoy different sauces and salsa. Many of those, as you probably already know, are high in sodium. My next project might be how to make some of those and control the sodium content better.

I have also been working on my own spice/herb blends. You can find ideas for them on-line sometimes. Remember what I said about lemon? You can buy lemon rind and add to blends in place of salt.

A few squirts of lime is great on the bean and rice dishes.

Quoting KittyGram:

Quoting LEK19:

LEK19
by Group Admin on Apr. 26, 2017 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I also do like my son, Justin (Type 1 diabetic), does and work them in like he does with his carbs. When I know I want to eat a certain purchased sauce or salsa, I am more strict about my other sodium content for the day. I don't rob myself of enjoying them.

I do love my olives and pickles and miss having them as often.

KittyGram
by Becky on Apr. 26, 2017 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I'm always amazed when I hear that olives and pickles are great diet foods.... not with all that sodium!!!  

Quoting LEK19:

I also do like my son, Justin (Type 1 diabetic), does and work them in like he does with his carbs. When I know I want to eat a certain purchased sauce or salsa, I am more strict about my other sodium content for the day. I don't rob myself of enjoying them.

I do love my olives and pickles and miss having them as often.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)