Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This day in history - June 19

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 11:56 AM
  • 5 Replies

1778 - Washington's troops left Vally Forge.

1856 - The first Republican national convention ended.  The Republican party was formed 2 years before.

1862 - Slavery was outlawed in U.S. territories.

1902 - Guy Lombardo, orchestra leader, was born.

1903 - Lou Gehrig, first baseman for the NY Yankees, was born.

1910 - Father's Day was celebrated for the first time, in Spokane, WA.

1941 - Cheerios Cereal "invents" an O-shaped cereal.

1953 - Julius and Ethel Rosenburg, convicted of conspiring to pas U.S. atomic secrets to the Soviets, are executed at Sing Sing Prison in Ossining, New York. Both refused to admit any wrongdoing and proclaimed their innocence right up to the time of their deaths, by the electric chair. The Rosenbergs were the first U.S. citizens to be convicted and executed for espionage during peacetime and their case remains controversial to this day.

1955 - Mickey Mantel hit career home run #100.

1956 - Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin ended their partnership after 16 films.

1962 - Paula Abdul, American singer-songwriter, choreographer and TV personality, was born.

1971 - Carole King had her first #1 hit as a performer, with I Feel the Earth Move, and It's Too Late.

1973 - Both Pete Rose and Willie Davis get career hit #2,000.

1991 - Columbian drug lord Pablo Escobar surrendered to police.

1992 - "Batman Returns", starring Michael Keaton, Danny DeVito, and Michelle Pfeiffer, was released.

2000 - Tiger Woods won golf's U.S. Open by 15 shots, a record for all majors, with a U.S. Open to-apr record score of -12.

2013 - James Gandolfini, TV's Tony Soprano, died at age 51.  He died of a heart attack while vacationing in Italy. 

2016 - Anton Yelchin, Russian-born American actor (Star Trek), died in a freak auto accident, at age 27.  He was pinned by his car after it rolled down the steep driveway of his home.  He was found pressed in between his brick mailbox and security fence.  (I only saw him as Chekov and in one other role, but he was a very good actor.)

by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Why123
by Nancy on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:29 PM

In 1964 I had planned to take some friends and see the Mike Douglas show in Cleveland but the show was cancelled because of the Democratic National Convention.  I was not at all happy.  I never did get to see Mike Douglas.

KittyGram
by Becky on Jun. 19, 2017 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Why123:

In 1964 I had planned to take some friends and see the Mike Douglas show in Cleveland but the show was cancelled because of the Democratic National Convention.  I was not at all happy.  I never did get to see Mike Douglas.

That stinks.

Marinefranksmom
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I remember when Anton Yelchin died, that was so sad. I also remember when James Gandolfini died.  PS: his Dad worked in the maintenance department in the high school my son attended. I also remember back to Mickey Mantle's 100th home run, breaking Babe Ruth's record, I believe.  Today is also the birthday of Garfield the Cat.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jun. 19, 2017 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

These are so good and interesting.....cheerios...love them....celebrating FD....very cool....Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin...loved them too!  Thanks Becky....love these

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Always interesting to read of what happened on this day in history.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)