Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This day in history - July 14

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:38 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

1789 - Bastille Day - The French Revolution began with the fall of the Bastille Prison.

1881 - Billy the Kid (William H. Bonney), American frontier outlaw, died of gunshot wounds.  He was 21.

1910 - William Hanna, American animator (Hanna-Barbera-Tom and Jerry, Scooby Doo) was born in Melrose, NM (d. 2001).

1912 - Woodie Guthrie, folk singer, was born.

1913 - Gerald Ford, 38th U.S. President, was born in Omaha, NE (d. 2006).

1918 - Ingmar Bergman, Swedish stage and film director, was born in Uppsala, Sweden (d. 2007).

1933 - NSDAP (Nazis) became the only political party in Germany.

1969 - The United States $500, $1,000, $5,000, and $10,000 were officially withdrawn from circulation.

by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
louannwilkins
by Louann on Jul. 14, 2017 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

William Hanna...too cool!!!

Wow...I'd love to have had some of those bills!  LOL  Can you imagine having a few $10,000.00 bills?????  lol

Why123
by Nancy on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:28 AM
2 moms liked this

Having the bill would be cool but there would be very few places you could spend it.  No one would be able to make change.

Quoting louannwilkins:

Wow...I'd love to have had some of those bills!  LOL  Can you imagine having a few $10,000.00 bills?????  lol

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:35 AM
2 moms liked this

William Hanna (Tom and Jerry) reminded me of the year I lived in Brazil.  My little host brother was only 6 years old at the time, and we watched Tom and Jerry a LOT together.  Since there was very little speaking, we both knew what was going on!  (I didn't speak much Portuguese at the beginning and of course he didn't speak English).

In Brazil, well, Portuguese language, if a word has two R's in a row, that's pronounced as an H sound.  The word "and" is "e" in Portuguese.  So actually, we watched "Tome e Jehee" - not "Tom and Jerry".  :o)  fond memories for sure.

KittyGram
by Becky on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I knew they used to make $500's and $1,000's, but I didn't know about the $5,000's and $10,000's till now!!  Yeah, it'd be nice to have a few of them!  :D

Quoting louannwilkins:

KittyGram
by Becky on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

You're probably right!

Quoting Why123:

Having the bill would be cool but there would be very few places you could spend it.  No one would be able to make change.

Quoting louannwilkins:

KittyGram
by Becky on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Much of my childhood was spent in front of the television, watching Tom and Jerry!

Quoting suzeebloch:

William Hanna (Tom and Jerry) reminded me of the year I lived in Brazil.  My little host brother was only 6 years old at the time, and we watched Tom and Jerry a LOT together.  Since there was very little speaking, we both knew what was going on!  (I didn't speak much Portuguese at the beginning and of course he didn't speak English).

In Brazil, well, Portuguese language, if a word has two R's in a row, that's pronounced as an H sound.  The word "and" is "e" in Portuguese.  So actually, we watched "Tome e Jehee" - not "Tom and Jerry".  :o)  fond memories for sure.

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 1:35 PM

I bet you could offer the $10,000 for sale out on the street for $500 and get NO TAKERS.

I also bet the bank would forward it on to the feds for verification before they allowed you to spend it. 

As a side point, I don't even like to take fifties or hundreds, even from the bank or ATM for fear they might be fake. A twenty would be painful enough.

Quoting KittyGram:

You're probably right!

Quoting Why123:

Quoting louannwilkins:

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2017 at 2:43 AM
3 moms liked this
According to a quick search a pristine condition $10,000 note can go for over $140,000. Used condition can still be worth as much as $30,000.

So maybe not on the streets, but through a dealer...

Quoting Kimmybabe:

I bet you could offer the $10,000 for sale out on the street for $500 and get NO TAKERS.

I also bet the bank would forward it on to the feds for verification before they allowed you to spend it. 

As a side point, I don't even like to take fifties or hundreds, even from the bank or ATM for fear they might be fake. A twenty would be painful enough.

Quoting KittyGram:

You're probably right!

Quoting Why123:

Quoting louannwilkins:

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2017 at 10:58 AM
WOW!!!

I wonder what type of person would or could collect those things?

Definitely out of our price range! We're to poor to test this theory of mine.

When I said out on the street, I meant people would think it was fake. Thinking about it, you could offer a real $100 for $5 and most would think it was a scam of some type.

Quoting cybcm: According to a quick search a pristine condition $10,000 note can go for over $140,000. Used condition can still be worth as much as $30,000.

So maybe not on the streets, but through a dealer...

Quoting Kimmybabe:

Quoting KittyGram:

You're probably right!

Quoting Why123:

Quoting louannwilkins:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)