Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

About my upcoming surgery

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:09 PM
  • 16 Replies

I'm not sure how much I've posted here about the surgery I'll be having... this will be the 3rd surgery on my right ear drum, but this one will be different than the other two.

I have what's called a cholesteatoma (cycst) on my right ear drum.  Same as last time (I'm not sure if I had one the first time, when I was 14 - all I remember is that they repaired a perforated ear drum).  However, in addition, this time the cholesteatoma has been damaging the mastoid process bone behind the ear.

Therefore, this time, some of the bone will have to be removed as well.  This has been a frightening concept (still is), but last night I was talking to one of my (many) sisters, and she told me she had the same surgery - back in the early '80's!!  I had no clue!  She was living in Montana at the time, I was either here in Illinois dealing with an upcoming divorce, or I was in Wisconsin learning how to be a single mom at 22.   

Knowing someone personally who's gone thru it, and seeing that she's obviously done well with it (although because we pick on each other like we do, I could tell her that that is questionable!!!), has really put my mind at ease.  

I feel better today about it!  I'm nervous of course about having to have surgery at all, but this new knowledge is comforting! 

by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof337
by Stephanie on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm glad you know HUGS
kuntrylady56
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad you have someone you can talk to that has went through the same operations. And now operating techniques and equipment are so much more advanced then back then. 

Why123
by Nancy on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Any kind of surgery is scary.  I am sure that you will come through it without any lasting ill effects.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jul. 14, 2017 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad you feel better.  It IS nice to know someone who has had the same or similar issues.  Hugs to you!!!

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs and Prayers for success and a speedy recovery!

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 14, 2017 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll be thinking about you and sending out positive thoughts!

My very first medical transcription sucker - I mean client - is an ENT doctor.  I've typed about cholesteatomas multiple times since 1994, when I first started this business!   The medical terms you've tossed out there are very familiar to me.  Happy thoughts that everything goes well and your recovery is speedy!!

emmygirl31
by Angie on Jul. 14, 2017 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

it is always better to know someone that has made it through the surgery with good results.  It really puts your mind at ease.  Wishing you well, in your sugery and recovery.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, how interesting you both need this surgery.   It's not something I've heard of.   I'm sure you will do fine too.  What's the recovery time?

KittyGram
by Becky on Jul. 14, 2017 at 10:03 PM
I'll be back to work within a couple days.... there will be what he called "packing" in my ear for "weeks to months". Part of what he will do is make my ear canal wider, and I will be going in semi annually I'm sure to have my ear cleaned and checked.

Quoting jabs54:

Wow, how interesting you both need this surgery.   It's not something I've heard of.   I'm sure you will do fine too.  What's the recovery time?

stepof5
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2017 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for sharing. I am glad you found out this good news before your surgery. I hope everything goes smoothly for you. Sending prayers and hugs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)