Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grape-land

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:20 AM
  • 15 Replies

I'm half laughing, and half losing my mind. Or maybe they're just all one symptom of "grape-itis". 

I have a friend who owns a 20 acre farm. Single guy, late 50s, divorced, all family in NH/PA (we're in Maine). He can't work, due to a back injury, but more his brain injury. So his farm is his passion. He doesn't have any animals anymore, just food plants. And every kind you could imagine. Hazelnut trees, walnut trees, kiwi vines....tabacco even!

He had given me a bunch of pears that had fallen from the tree. It's been dry here, and although they weren't big, they were ripe, and the dryness caused them to fall. So he loaded me up. I went over last week to bring him some pear sauce, and some pickles I had made. He asked if I wanted some grapes. Sure! I'll learn to make jelly!! HAHAHAHA

This is what I came home with (eggs from his neighbor). 62 pounds of grapes!!!!! I still have 6 more pounds to pick off the stems!! My first 2 batches of jelly didn't set, so I had to redo them. It seems as though a batch (about 5-6 pounds), start to finish is 3 hours. Time consuming when there is 62#......and I have a bunch of other things to do!!!

So today I'm going over to bring him some jelly....lots of jelly! haha. And he wants me to take some photos of him. AND.......he's loading me up with peaches today. Said "don't forget to bring those blue buckets, you'll need them" hahahahaha

by on Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louannwilkins
by Louann on Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

WOW!!!!  I'm jealous!!!!  Good fruits, veggies AND eggs?????  LOL  They're beautiful!  If I lived closer to you I'd come help you make jelly for a jar or two to take home.  Homemade is SO good!!  My uncle made some grape jelly just last week.  I'm not sure how many he made but he gave me a jar! lol  He likes to make grape, fig and peach jelly or preserves.  He's made strawberry a time or two as well. 

Me and my mom make a chili sauce that my grandmother used to make.  It's SO good!!!  We brown ground chuck and add to a jar and use it as hot dog chili or make chili with beans with it.  It's like no other that I've ever tasted. 

Anyway...thanks for sharing!  Tell him a friend of yours in NC wishes she lived closer.  lol  Have a great day!

KittyGram
by Becky on Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:52 AM
2 moms liked this
Wow, that's a lot of grapes!!!!!

I had a co worker (he's retired now) who once asked me if I wanted some grapes, and I said, "Sure!" From that point on, I got grapes every year (He didn't ask anther, he just brought them) until the property owner disposed of the vines.
smokeyjo
by Jozie on Sep. 16, 2017 at 1:31 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm totally jealous as well!! I love making jams and preserves.
Ziva65
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:34 PM
2 moms liked this

WOW!! Lovely!!!

Just sayin' grapes average 2.6 pounds per bottle of wine,  so theoretically you could make over 20 bottles of wine :)

Why123
by Nancy on Sep. 17, 2017 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't done any canning in years.  Home made things taste so good.  I am also jealous.

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2017 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this

So many people have said "wine!!!" I don't like wine. I wouldn't know if it was turning out right!

Quoting Ziva65:

WOW!! Lovely!!!

Just sayin' grapes average 2.6 pounds per bottle of wine,  so theoretically you could make over 20 bottles of wine :)

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Sep. 17, 2017 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow that IS a lot of grapes!

I'm assuming they are Concord grapes?  It is hard to find those here in the KC area.  Every now and then the oriental store I go to has them, but I don't go there on a regular basis.   None of the regular grocery stores carry them.  I haven't checked out Whole Foods though.  When I dated the guy in Erie, PA, there were plenty of Concord grapes!

I'm very jealous.  If you have some left over, send them my way!!

And peaches and corn, carrots and eggs  - and is that a watermelon or a pre-drilled bowling ball?  You can almost see where the finger holes would be drilled!  And is that garlic too?   What a nice haul!  And nice friend!

Ziva65
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2017 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Understand. I think it's a bit time consuming anyway :) I'd rather make jams/ jelly :) have fun!

Quoting EireLass:

So many people have said "wine!!!" I don't like wine. I wouldn't know if it was turning out right!

Quoting Ziva65:

WOW!! Lovely!!!

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Sep. 17, 2017 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd love to have a source for fresh pastured eggs.

stepof5
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2017 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
There is nothing like fresh produce. It just tastes better. It sounds like a wonderful trade for both of you! I admire your spunk, "I don't know how to make jelly.bI guess I'll learn." Good for you!

Quoting EireLass:

I'm half laughing, and half losing my mind. Or maybe they're just all one symptom of "grape-itis". 

I have a friend who owns a 20 acre farm. Single guy, late 50s, divorced, all family in NH/PA (we're in Maine). He can't work, due to a back injury, but more his brain injury. So his farm is his passion. He doesn't have any animals anymore, just food plants. And every kind you could imagine. Hazelnut trees, walnut trees, kiwi vines....tabacco even!

He had given me a bunch of pears that had fallen from the tree. It's been dry here, and although they weren't big, they were ripe, and the dryness caused them to fall. So he loaded me up. I went over last week to bring him some pear sauce, and some pickles I had made. He asked if I wanted some grapes. Sure! I'll learn to make jelly!! HAHAHAHA

This is what I came home with (eggs from his neighbor). 62 pounds of grapes!!!!! I still have 6 more pounds to pick off the stems!! My first 2 batches of jelly didn't set, so I had to redo them. It seems as though a batch (about 5-6 pounds), start to finish is 3 hours. Time consuming when there is 62#......and I have a bunch of other things to do!!!

So today I'm going over to bring him some jelly....lots of jelly! haha. And he wants me to take some photos of him. AND.......he's loading me up with peaches today. Said "don't forget to bring those blue buckets, you'll need them" hahahahaha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)