Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you do this?

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2017 at 2:38 PM
  • 20 Replies

EAT DIRT???     Image result for spoonful of dirt image

Some people are eating a spoonful of dirt or stirring it into a smoothie or cup of coffee! 

Missing Vitamin Dirt

The idea of eating dirt has also been around a long time, dating back to Hippocrates more than 2,500 years ago. You name the civilized culture in past millennia, and you’ll find a record of those people consciously including a bit of dirt in their diets.

Take the era before refrigeration, for example. Back then, it was common to store food by burying it in the ground or storing it in a dirt cellar, which helped keep bad bacteria and yeast at bay because of the lower temperature and microbes in the soil that help preserve the food.

Today’s generation is missing out on vitamin dirt in a big way, thanks to our collective obsession with oversanitation and antibacterial overkill — like sanitizing hand gels, antibacterial soap and germ-killing wipes. Our connection to dirt is dwindling, too.

Decades ago, vegetable gardens and flower beds dotted almost every backyard, putting people in close contact with the Earth. Kids played outside in the woods from dawn to dust, often after taking care of animals on a farm.

We can’t reverse time, of course, and we’re lucky to be living in an era of such incredible progress. But all of that progress comes with a price, and we must be mindful not to get rid of the benefits along with the problems. We can add facets of that earlier, simpler lifestyle back into our days, and in doing so we will benefit not only physically, but also emotionally and spiritually and help heal our ailing guts in the process. And it starts with eating dirt.

Eat Dirt - Dr. Axe

My favorite way to eat dirt is through produce. When I purchase a fresh bunch of organically grown carrots at the farmer’s market, I know I’m going to be far better off simply rinsing my carrots under running water instead of scrubbing them with a brush and some kind of produce wash, because the surface area of every carrot contains beneficial microbes. When I do this, I can take in an average 500 milligrams of old‐fashioned dirt each day, the same amount the average child consumes when playing outdoors.

Five hundred milligrams, essentially the size of an average supplement capsule, may not sound like much, but there are probably more beneficial microbes in that small amount of dirt than there are people living on Earth today.

https://draxe.com/eating-dirt/

Healing power of eating dirt - Dr. Axe

Dr. Cox recommends not sanitizing your food if it is organic, eat probiotic foods, consume raw honey and bee pollen, get a dog, swim in the ocean, get grounded by going barefoot more often, and eat dirt — literally.

Hmmm...

I wonder if I could get a ocean beach vacation covered by my insurance?!?

by on Sep. 21, 2017 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Sep. 21, 2017 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I doubt that I would eat a spoon full of dirt just for the sake of eating dirt.  They spray the grass in my yard and I am sure that the dirt is not that healthy.  I do, however, only rinse fresh vegetables and fruit instead of scrubbing them.

smokeyjo
by Jozie on Sep. 21, 2017 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Living on a farm and growing a lot of my own food, I'm sure I eat some dirt. I don't think I would add straight dirt to my diet though.
louannwilkins
by Louann on Sep. 21, 2017 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

not me...yuck

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I've heard of people eating diotomeceous earth, but not 'dirt dirt'. Nah....I'm good, I'll go without.

Element5
by Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Ah no thank you.
tinysmom160
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

No

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2017 at 6:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Probably not and I am certainly not stirring it into my coffee!!!

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2017 at 6:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Isn't there a syndrome craving dirt or anything unusual??

Although I agree that our society is over sanitized, I don't think eating dirt is the solution.
momof337
by Stephanie on Sep. 22, 2017 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Ummmm no
LEK19
by Group Admin on Sep. 22, 2017 at 10:27 AM

Pica is the persistent eating of substances such as dirt or paint that have no nutritional value.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/mental-health-pica#1

Quoting Cindy18: Isn't there a syndrome craving dirt or anything unusual?? Although I agree that our society is over sanitized, I don't think eating dirt is the solution.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)