Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the group.

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 11:11 PM
  • 12 Replies
Hi. My name is Mary.

Just joining the group today, but I'll probably be here sporadically. I have a grown son, 31, his girlfriend of 10yrs, mother of my grandkids, who is like a daughter to me. My grandkids really 12 & 7.

I have twins, a son and daughter, both nearly 17. Just got their driver's licenses and they're preparing for their futures. Both are planning to attend college.

Right now my focus is on preparing for my future as an empty nester! I'm determined to make it a positive thing. My husband of 8 yrs and I have never been alone, so we have lot to do and look forward to.

I hope to learn from others here who have been through this and get some ideas.

Nice to meet you!
by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ziva65
by Member on Sep. 30, 2017 at 3:34 AM
Hi! Welcome :)

I have 4 kids, all in college. My oldest is almost 21, my others are 19, triplets. The younger three are college freshman. Needless to say we are busy working!

Everyone said I'd be sad, and have a hard time. Nope. I have a clean house, I'm not cooking much, I can read a book and found my old embroidery projects that I never finished. We can leave for the weekend and not be stuck at a school choir thing, or have to keep score at a water polo tournament.

I miss them, but am ok :) shh, don't tell them

Did you have hobbies before your kids were born that you'd want to do again? Do the two of you want to take a ballroom dance class? So many opportunities for you :)
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Sep. 30, 2017 at 6:24 AM

Hi Mary, and welcome to MWAK!

I'm Ronna, live in Kansas.  My 2 kids are grown - daughter is 37 and son is 27.  My son moved away to California for college in 2008 just before he turned 18, so I've had the Empty Nest for 9+ years. 

After he moved away, I downsized into a one-bedroom apartment where I've been ever since.  I am not married and not even in the market for a mate - I think I'd find the adjustment to having someone with me too difficult, to be honest!  I have been single since divorce in 1996.  I've had 20+ years of doing things my way!  ha!

I work full time and for the past 2 years have been keeping an eye on my elderly parents in the afternoons.  Mom has Alzheimer's and dad is slow, hard of hearing and getting more and more 'forgetful'.  I spread out my 40 hours over 7 days to keep my afternoons free for them.  When I get spare time, I volunteer in the Gmail Help Forum - that's my hobby for the past 3-4 years.

The drastic change of suddenly no longer being a full-time mom was different, that's for sure!  But of course I was busy moving and working then so that kept my mind occupied.  I often had to pinch myself early on, making sure my 28 years of being a full-time mom was real and hadn't just been a dream!

Again, welcome to our group!  LouAnn has a daily "what are you doing today" post and several other MWAKers also post daily questions which are fun and a way to get to know each other.

smokeyjo
by Jozie on Sep. 30, 2017 at 8:00 AM
Welcome!!
louannwilkins
by Louann on Sep. 30, 2017 at 9:41 AM

Good morning and welcome to the group!  We're happy to have you here.  I'm Lou Ann and I live in NC.  I live alone and enjoy seeing my son and granddaughter every chance I get!  lol  I lived wihin walking distance to my granddaughter until about 3 years ago when I moved down to the coast.  I sure do miss her but get to see her quite often. 

I have one grown bio son and 3 step sons.  They are all sweet guys but I don't get to see them often.  I don't think boys stick as close to home as girls do.  It seems to be that way to me at least.  I talk or text with them a lot more than I see them.  lol

Drop into the daily post I make each day.  It's a good way to get to know everyone and we just chat about our day, what we're doing, what we're happy about or irritated about.  lol  This is a great group and I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.  :)

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 30, 2017 at 10:18 AM
Welcome to the group. I have newlywed daughters ages 26 and 23. DH has been retired a year and we live between Wisconsin and FL.
kuntrylady56
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2017 at 3:37 PM

Hi Mary and welcome to the group.  My names Evelyn and I have a 31yo daughter and three wonderful grandchildren. I haven't really had the experience of being an empty nester yet, my daughter has moved out and back in several times since her teen years. I have been raising my grand daughter since she was a baby and she will 13 in June. I also have two grandsons, ages 10 and 4 years old who live with their mom and dad close by. So I am luckly I see my family often. 

And I trul don't know what I'll do when I ever get to experience having a empty household, maybe do a Happpy Dance.lol happy dance

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2017 at 4:37 PM
Hi Mary, I'm Cybele.

I have 5 kids, aged 23, 21, 18, 16 and 9. Still have the younger 3 at home.
marmelsan
by New Member on Oct. 1, 2017 at 8:40 AM
Hi Xiva65. Nice to meet you. You're cracking me up. Lol Yes, I have an afghan I was crocheting and my hobby of watercolor painting, not to mention I haven't read a full length book since the twins were born.(Yes, they've been sitting for 16 years) Hubby and I want to take a line dance class. Those are at the top of my list. Thanks for the encouragement!

Quoting Ziva65: Hi! Welcome :)

I have 4 kids, all in college. My oldest is almost 21, my others are 19, triplets. The younger three are college freshman. Needless to say we are busy working!

Everyone said I'd be sad, and have a hard time. Nope. I have a clean house, I'm not cooking much, I can read a book and found my old embroidery projects that I never finished. We can leave for the weekend and not be stuck at a school choir thing, or have to keep score at a water polo tournament.

I miss them, but am ok :) shh, don't tell them

Did you have hobbies before your kids were born that you'd want to do again? Do the two of you want to take a ballroom dance class? So many opportunities for you :)
marmelsan
by New Member on Oct. 1, 2017 at 8:48 AM
Hi Suzee,

It sounds like we've had a few things in common. I was a single mom for 20 years as well. If you ever want to hear how adjusting to marriage after that long has gone, just let me know! Lol It was a HUGE change. I liked being independent too and wasn't at all looking when this happened.

My father also had Alzheimer's. Sorry you're going through that. You sound like a lovely daughter. They are very blessed to have you.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Quoting suzeebloch:

Hi Mary, and welcome to MWAK!

I'm Ronna, live in Kansas.  My 2 kids are grown - daughter is 37 and son is 27.  My son moved away to California for college in 2008 just before he turned 18, so I've had the Empty Nest for 9+ years. 

After he moved away, I downsized into a one-bedroom apartment where I've been ever since.  I am not married and not even in the market for a mate - I think I'd find the adjustment to having someone with me too difficult, to be honest!  I have been single since divorce in 1996.  I've had 20+ years of doing things my way!  ha!

I work full time and for the past 2 years have been keeping an eye on my elderly parents in the afternoons.  Mom has Alzheimer's and dad is slow, hard of hearing and getting more and more 'forgetful'.  I spread out my 40 hours over 7 days to keep my afternoons free for them.  When I get spare time, I volunteer in the Gmail Help Forum - that's my hobby for the past 3-4 years.

The drastic change of suddenly no longer being a full-time mom was different, that's for sure!  But of course I was busy moving and working then so that kept my mind occupied.  I often had to pinch myself early on, making sure my 28 years of being a full-time mom was real and hadn't just been a dream!

Again, welcome to our group!  LouAnn has a daily "what are you doing today" post and several other MWAKers also post daily questions which are fun and a way to get to know each other.

marmelsan
by New Member on Oct. 1, 2017 at 8:48 AM
Thank you!

Quoting smokeyjo: Welcome!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)