Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHAT IS THE MINIMUM WAGE WHERE YOU LIVE

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2017 at 5:26 PM
  • 25 Replies

Mimimum wage for many years was $10 here in Ontario.  Then it started to creep up a bit and currently sits at $11.40.  So on January 1 it is jumping to $14 an hour and then on Jan 1/2019 going to $15 and probably staying there.

A lot of small business and not so small business are complaining.  They say its happening too fast.  With the small increases of .10 a year or so they can absorb that but not this amount.

I know for many people living near the poverty line this is a welcome relief.  What I wonder is what about people who are currently making $14 or $15 an hour so are considered above minimum wage will their salary jump another $3 somehow I don't think so.   They will now all be minimum wage earners.  

My sister works for a US company that puts "clip-strips" in grocery stores.  These are the plastic strips on aisles that hold little accessories. Like on the pet food aisle it may have plastic lids for cans.  On pop aisle they may have straws hanging.  Anyway she has been making $14 an hour for the last couple of years and it was always $3 over minimum wage now she will be at minimum wage.  

by on Oct. 16, 2017 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof337
by Stephanie on Oct. 16, 2017 at 5:35 PM
$7.25 in South Carolina
louannwilkins
by Louann on Oct. 16, 2017 at 5:39 PM

7.25 here in NC

louannwilkins
by Louann on Oct. 16, 2017 at 5:39 PM

Your sister's job sounds kind of fun!

Mom2Boys9501
by Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 5:53 PM
$8.10 in Ohio I believe.
annie-durham
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 6:03 PM

Yes she really enjoys it.  The good thing about it is she can work her own hours.  She has 6 stores she services on a rotating schedule.  One is once a week, another is every other week and the rest are once a month I think.  She isn't allowed to go in the evening but anytime during the day is OK.  Fridays are discouraged because they are busier that day.  

She basically goes in, picks up her order from the stock room, and walks around the store filling up the clip strips and writing down what needs to be ordered for next time.  

Quoting louannwilkins:

louannwilkins
by Louann on Oct. 16, 2017 at 6:23 PM

I love that!  Sounds like a great job.  :)

Quoting annie-durham:

Yes she really enjoys it.  The good thing about it is she can work her own hours.  She has 6 stores she services on a rotating schedule.  One is once a week, another is every other week and the rest are once a month I think.  She isn't allowed to go in the evening but anytime during the day is OK.  Fridays are discouraged because they are busier that day.  

She basically goes in, picks up her order from the stock room, and walks around the store filling up the clip strips and writing down what needs to be ordered for next time.  

Quoting louannwilkins:

1squishysmom
by Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 6:52 PM
$7.25
zboys
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 10:16 PM
$10
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Oct. 17, 2017 at 6:53 AM

In Kansas it's $7.25.  In Missouri, it's $7.70.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 7:00 AM
$18.29 is the national minimum wage in Australia.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)