Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Penobscot Bridge Observatory - Ft. Knox

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2017 at 11:09 AM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

So the 81 year old Father In Law was here for a few days. This guy cracks me up. He drives the 5 hour trip alone, a few times/year. He has COPD. He just gave up his 25 mile/day bike riding a couple years ago. He has as much energy as my working dogs!! haha

Anyway....while here, thinking of things to do, we went to the Penobscot Narrows Bridge & Observatory at Ft. Knox in Penobscot Maine. I live in Maine, and I live about 15 minutes from it, and cross it often....but have never 'visited'. 

It's the tallest bridge observatory in the world - there are 4. The other 3 are in Asia & Europe. This is 420' tall = 42 stories. There is an elevator to the 39th floor, and a 'lift' the rest of the way for those who need it (father in law). Hubs & I took the stairs.

by on Oct. 22, 2017 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Oct. 22, 2017 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

wow.  that is so cool!  Now I know where to visit when I'm in Maine.  I have not traveled much at all east of the Mississippi river, to be honest.  as a kid it was always the western US. 

thanks for sharing the pictures - fall is definitely arriving, isnt' it?

louannwilkins
by Louann on Oct. 22, 2017 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you had a great time!  I LOVE the pics.  Thanks for sharing them with us.  :)

LEK19
by Group Admin on Oct. 22, 2017 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

What a view!!!

Fantastic photos!

How was it up there?!? What is the building ?

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

The tall structure is the observatory - see the glass on the top. There are 2 of these structures that hole up the cable bridge over the Penobscott River, but only one is the observatory. So you enter at ground level, and a lady greets you and gives you a brief story of what you're in for. Enter the elevator, exit at floor #39. Floor to ceiling windows all the way around. That's where you start stairs or the lift to the 42nd floor. While up there...floor to ceiling windows. I felt like a weirdo....I was afraid to go next to the glass!! 

On the other side of the bridge is Verona Island. Where the 1st electrical pole is, the electric company sets up a platform on top of the pole, at the beginning of Osprey breeding time, and they build their nest and you can easily see them if you pull over. 

From Verona Island, you take a short bridge to get to Bucksport - which is the little village/town that you see from one side of the observatory. 

The buildings in the grass is Ft. Knox. They started building that in 1844. It's open to the public, and they have all sorts of activities through the year there.

Quoting LEK19:

What a view!!!

Fantastic photos!

How was it up there?!? What is the building ?

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never traveled west!! I think the furthest west was Michigan. haha. Not much of a traveler, haha. I really want to go out west to the desert, and just experience the different terrain, plants, rocks, etc. 

We just passed peak foliage. This is my backyard though......

Quoting suzeebloch:

wow.  that is so cool!  Now I know where to visit when I'm in Maine.  I have not traveled much at all east of the Mississippi river, to be honest.  as a kid it was always the western US. 

thanks for sharing the pictures - fall is definitely arriving, isnt' it?

Ziva65
by Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

very pretty!

annie-durham
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Love the pictures, not sure I'd go up there though.  I don't like heights as a rule and can get vertigo if I stand too close to the window.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Oct. 22, 2017 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow.  Must have been pretty!

smokeyjo
by Jozie on Oct. 22, 2017 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Looks like an interesting place to visit. I'd love it for sure.
Why123
by Nancy on Oct. 23, 2017 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

All I can say is "WOW".  You live in a really beautiful place.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)