Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MEDICATING KIDS

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2017 at 3:10 PM
  • 69 Replies

My son went to the interview for my grandsons kindergarten teacher today.  He called me upset afterwards.

We have known Colton is behind since last year at pre-K.  The class is too big which is part of the problem there are 33 kids last year and this year.  

He had hearing issues as a toddler and had to get tubes in his ears so his speech has been delayed.  He's gone for speech therapy and its much better now.  But he is very active and has no interest in sitting down to do any type of school work.  His attention span is very short, even talking to you he'll quickly change to something else in the middle of a sentence.  

They have taken him to a pediatritian who has suggested medication and the teachers are suggesting it now too.  

Did any of your kids need to be medicated for ADHD?  I just hate to think of this at 5 years of age.  But if he's already behind it will only get worse.  

There are so many side effects of these drugs too.  

I just feel so bad for them all.  

by on Nov. 17, 2017 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof337
by Stephanie on Nov. 17, 2017 at 3:49 PM
My dil put her older son (6) on meds
He's had the same,ear tubes,speech
smokeyjo
by Jozie on Nov. 17, 2017 at 4:21 PM
Like you said in our other group, you don’t want him behind from the start and if the medications will help Colton then the benefits will truly out weight any side effects. And you never know, he may outgrow it so this could be temporary.
KittyGram
by Becky on Nov. 17, 2017 at 4:56 PM

Our receptionist's grandson had to be medicated at about the same age.  She and I were talking about him just this week - she says it's amazing how much better he's been doing in school.

It sucks, but it will truly help him.

My oldest granddaughter (will be 14 in 2 weeks) recently had to be medicated for a very different reason.  It does suck, and we do see some of the side effects, but she's in a much better condition already.

annie-durham
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 4:58 PM

How is he doing?

Quoting momof337: My dil put her older son (6) on meds He's had the same,ear tubes,speech

annie-durham
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 5:02 PM

A lot of kids do outgrow it which is good.  And I said to John if it changes his personality then you can take him off it.  

He has such a loving personality driving to Walmart today he said to me "Nana I love my mummy she is so beautiful" then a few seconds later he said "and my dad is soooo handsome"  he is very sensitive and gets upset if he sees anyone in pain or suffering.  

Caroline is in grade 1 and Elizabeth said he can't do grade 1 if he doesn't know his letters yet.  We were watching TV today and they were featuring the letter "N" and I said to him several times "what letter is that" and he'd say "I dont' know".

Quoting smokeyjo: Like you said in our other group, you don’t want him behind from the start and if the medications will help Colton then the benefits will truly out weight any side effects. And you never know, he may outgrow it so this could be temporary.

annie-durham
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I've read good things and bad things about it.  Seems like its kinda hit and miss, you have to change medication a few times to find the right one and the right dose.  

Quoting KittyGram:

Our receptionist's grandson had to be medicated at about the same age.  She and I were talking about him just this week - she says it's amazing how much better he's been doing in school.

My oldest granddaughter (will be 14 in 2 weeks) recently had to be medicated for a very different reason.  It does suck, and we do see some of the side effects, but she's in a much better condition already.

Mariagma3
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 5:45 PM

My son had ADHD, bad. School was a nightmare. The schools try to torment the parents into medicating the child, or else, they try to push it like the kid is unteachable. Advise your son, or whoever the parent is to put the child on the lowest dose. Good luck! 

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, if I were the child's parents, I would take the kid out of the school and enroll him in another one that had a smaller class size before even considering medication.  The kid is getting lost in the crowd.

KittyGram
by Becky on Nov. 17, 2017 at 6:16 PM

Heck, I'm still going thru some hit or miss with my thyroid med..... every now and then it goes wacky.

Quoting annie-durham:

I've read good things and bad things about it.  Seems like its kinda hit and miss, you have to change medication a few times to find the right one and the right dose.  

Quoting KittyGram:

annie-durham
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

That is not that easy.  All the schools in the area they live in are full to capacity.  They are hoping to move closer to us so we can help out more with babysitting before and after school but real estate market here is crazy.  They'd probably have to pay more for a smaller house in my neighbourhood.  

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Personally, if I were the child's parents, I would take the kid out of the school and enroll him in another one that had a smaller class size before even considering medication.  The kid is getting lost in the crowd.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)