Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BLACK FRIDAY SHOPPING YEA OR NAY

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2017 at 4:14 PM
  • 20 Replies

Do you participate in Black Friday shopping. I find now that the sales start even before the actual Friday.

Here in Canada there are no stores open on stat holidays.  So no shopping at all.  So thanksgiving, easter, Labour day and any other stat holiday all stores are closed.  Convenience stores like 7/11 are open and drug stores are open and most of them carry a limited supply of groceries. So if you needed potatoes or something you'd be out of luck.

I dont' have a problem with the stores opening early on Friday for shopping if that's your thing, I have a real problem with them opening on Thursday though.  I worked retail and its tough, they say no one can be fired for refusing to work a stat holiday but I'm not sure how many companies follow that policy.  There is nothing you need that can't wait til the next day just enjoy the holiday with your family. 

by on Nov. 19, 2017 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 4:56 PM

I do not partake in Black Friday.

Kimmybabe
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:09 PM
Not really into black friday. Probably because we did and still do a lot of shopping at the thrifts for gently used clothing, etcetera. And none of us are going to camp out at best buy from Monday evening to get the door buster specials. However. It can be great people watching.

I too think the stores should respect family time by staying closed until say 6:00 AM Friday morning. If all stores would do that it would be nice.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:39 PM
We shop on Friday, never on Thursday.
Mariagma3
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:51 PM
I did once & it was okay. I'd like to go tbis year, maybe, not sure.
louannwilkins
by Louann on Nov. 19, 2017 at 9:01 PM

No.  I have gone to Belk on the day after Thanksgiving and got some great deals.   I might would do something like that...spur of the moment but getting out in all that crap is NOT my idea of fun.  lol  Where I live now it wouldn't be as big of a pain as it was when I lived in Raleigh.  There are a lot more people there though.

smokeyjo
by Jozie on Nov. 19, 2017 at 10:39 PM
Coco and I went one year, on Thanksgiving and it was, um, interesting. Saw lots of arguements and a fight. It was kinda spur of the moment, we were at the beach and I saw an ad for iPads and tablets which were the Christmas presents that year and I couldn’t pass it up. We are contemplating doing it again this year. I keep looking at the online ads to see if what I am getting for Coco for Christmas will go on sale and if it does, we’ll be going. Best Buy will have the computer I’ve been looking at on sale for a really good price so I may get that as well.

When I worked retail I always volunteered to work holidays because of the overtime pay.
kuntrylady56
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 11:00 PM

I have went to Wa-MArt late on Thanksgiving night after all the craziness was over and usually if you just wait until Friday there is still some of Thursday night sales available. And the only reason we went was there were a few thing the grandkids had asked for that were on sale. But I try to avoid the crowds as much as possible,it used to not bother me when I was younger. I actually used to enjoy it somewhat,all thehustle and bustle.

And I used to work retail also so I give those people credit for being away from their Fridays, I hated giving up my family time.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Nov. 20, 2017 at 4:33 AM

I'm a "push comes to shove" type of person and Black Friday isn't a "push comes to shove" for me.  Mid December is when PCTS starts to kick in.  LOL.

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2017 at 6:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I do shop on Black Friday, but not super early in the morning! And a lot of the stores have great sales before and after Black Friday. As  for shopping on Thanksgiving Day, no, it is a family day for me and I feel that for most of the stores being open is just a way to get more money! Funny thing about this question is that we had a discussion at church yesterday about stores being open on Thanksgiving Day!

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2017 at 6:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I have never done Black Friday shopping.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)