Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

work woes

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2017 at 9:40 AM
  • 25 Replies

Thought I'd share some of my work woes ...

This is what voice recognition typed:

John, I Ferguson's from today in conjunction with nurse practitioner, Melissa Sonnenberg.  Emanuel much this gentleman.  Sister and physical examination are as presented in Ms. summer does note.

This is what was dictated:

I saw Mr. Eifler today in conjunction with my nurse practitioner, Lisa Sonberg.  The germane elements of this man's history and physical examination are as presented in Ms. Sonberg's note.

Since this doctor says the same thing every time, I have an autocorrect set up.  I type "drsstart" and the correct sentence types out - all I have to do is type the patient's name. 

I got paid 10¢ for fixing that but with the older system, I would have been paid 31¢ to type it correctly in the first place.

by on Dec. 2, 2017 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ziva65
by Member on Dec. 2, 2017 at 9:46 AM
Oh my gosh! It’s sort of funny what the voice recognition does, but certainly not the pay to have to fix that. To have to fix that seems time consuming, and seems to me should be paid more than typing it straight. Not fair
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 2, 2017 at 10:07 AM

it's horrible.  It types words that are not dictated but omits other words that are dictated.  Editing voice recognition takes a lot more focus than just typing what I hear and fixing what the doctor says or doesn't say while I'm typing.  Based on the numbers, I'm going to have to do 3-4 times the amount of work in the same amount of time to get back to what I have been earning before.

Plus the speech engine doesn't seem to know basic grammar consistently.  ugh.

We have been "warned" we are NOT allowed to retype everything though - even though I could probably get through it 3-4 times faster!

Quoting Ziva65: Oh my gosh! It’s sort of funny what the voice recognition does, but certainly not the pay to have to fix that. To have to fix that seems time consuming, and seems to me should be paid more than typing it straight. Not fair

kuntrylady56
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2017 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Thats horrible, its like you have to be mind reader or something to figure out what they said. And more work for less money is not a good equation. I don't know if I would have as much patience as you have had.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 2, 2017 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

with straight typing, it's pretty easy for me - I've been doing this for over 20 years.  But with the voice recognition, I have to edit the mistakes VR makes.  It's much more tedious than straight typing.  Since this started around November 15, I'm finding I'm actually getting more lines per day - but since the pay is only 3.5¢ instead of 10¢, that is what is so frustrating. 

I pride myself on making those doctors sound grammatically correct and presenting a final document that is flawless.  With VR though, I'm finding myself not wanting to go the extra distance.  In my opinion, if these doctors want to save money, they won't get the 'quality' documents they are used to getting.  They can't have their cake and eat it, too.

Quoting kuntrylady56:

Thats horrible, its like you have to be mind reader or something to figure out what they said. And more work for less money is not a good equation. I don't know if I would have as much patience as you have had.

Ziva65
by Member on Dec. 2, 2017 at 10:54 AM
Not right. Yes they get what they pay for. Hopefully they’ll figure it out and switch back!

Quoting suzeebloch:

it's horrible.  It types words that are not dictated but omits other words that are dictated.  Editing voice recognition takes a lot more focus than just typing what I hear and fixing what the doctor says or doesn't say while I'm typing.  Based on the numbers, I'm going to have to do 3-4 times the amount of work in the same amount of time to get back to what I have been earning before.

Plus the speech engine doesn't seem to know basic grammar consistently.  ugh.

We have been "warned" we are NOT allowed to retype everything though - even though I could probably get through it 3-4 times faster!

Quoting Ziva65: Oh my gosh! It’s sort of funny what the voice recognition does, but certainly not the pay to have to fix that. To have to fix that seems time consuming, and seems to me should be paid more than typing it straight. Not fair

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 2, 2017 at 11:29 AM

Same doctor, different patient.

Voice Recognition:

HISTORY OF PRESENT I saw the patient today in conjunction with a nurse practitioner from which it sounded.  Given the length of this woman's history and physical examination on his present admission.  Romberg is negative.

Dictated:

I saw Ms. Thomason today in conjunction with my nurse practitioner, Lisa Sonberg.  The germane elements of this woman's history and physical examination are as presented in Ms. Sonberg's note.

annie-durham
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2017 at 1:29 PM

That must be so frustrating for you and to make less money at it too.

Do you think some may switch back if there are too many mistakes?

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 2, 2017 at 1:49 PM

We'd end up losing our jobs if the client complains of mistakes that WE make.

But no, I seriously doubt they would even notice. They still end up with a much better final document than voice wreck is producing.  I'm just not putting forth my 110% effort to present a flawless document. 

Heck, I got dinged once by QA because I used a ; instead of a : in a part of the document the client doesn't even see.  Anytime there is an issue, I have to type in a separate section, PLEASE NOTE:  Date of visit was not dictated.  QA sees that and then knows why I didn't type the date of visit - or I'd be penalized for a major error.  QA is who dinged me for using a ; instead of a :

Quoting annie-durham:

That must be so frustrating for you and to make less money at it too.

Do you think some may switch back if there are too many mistakes?

louannwilkins
by Louann on Dec. 2, 2017 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry Ronna....it's just not right and I hate that you're having to deal with this now on top of everything else going on in your life.

Marinefranksmom
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2017 at 8:12 PM

Sheesh!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)