Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are you doing today....Tuesday?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2017 at 8:04 PM
  • 41 Replies

come tell us.....

by on Dec. 4, 2017 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louannwilkins
by Louann on Dec. 4, 2017 at 8:05 PM

post is ready for tomorrow morning

Marinefranksmom
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2017 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Tuesday, I'll be having lunch with my choir director/friend, Eileen, after which we will be going to Costco.  I'm only planning to buy meat - they have the best ever steaks and pork chops, and I'm going to try making a roast beef of some sort - filet mignon most likely, as that's DH's fave, and I can eat any kind of roast beef.  I'm just not good at making it.  So this year, I'm buying a really good piece of beef - maybe that will help.  My late brother used to buy & cook the Christmas roast and it was phenomenal! 

emmygirl31
by Angie on Dec. 4, 2017 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

some grocery shopping and the dollar store to buy some antlers I can wear when I help Santa at Angellina's school

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 5, 2017 at 5:00 AM

Good morning.  Wasn't up as early as I had liked but oh well.  Yesterday wore me out.  Where did boring go?!

Work of course, then parents.  Home health aide was very nice, got right down to business giving mom a bath with just minimal instruction for me as to how I've been doing it. 

But, I had to leave when mom was only half dressed because had to get Tom to take him to pick up Christmas charity stuff.  While I was sitting in the car waiting for him, got a call from Adult Protective Services.  Lady said she needed to see my mom RIGHT NOW.  Dad wouldn't let her in the house and made her call me!  I called him back and said let her in.  Apparently someone reported mom to APS and they make 2 unannounced visits.  This was about 3:00.  She said she'd call me back to explain but she never did.  Needless to say that rattled me.  I'm sure the hospital reported her, based on the comments the nurse had made to me that day about the fact I need to give mom a bath more than once a week and need to change her Depends each time they get wet.  Nurse was appalled when I told her I go there every afternoon to help, give mom a bath once a week and change her Depends each day.  Mom was soaking through the Depends at the hospital and nurse insinuated that's how mom got sick because we aren't taking care of her properly.  Whatever.  Mom didn't know where the bathroom was in the hospital room.  She was still getting over the dehydration and weak.  She doesn't have the wherewithall to know to push the call button to ask someone to help her to the bathroom - she had one of those alarms hooked up to her chair and bed that would go off each time she got up!!  SHEEZ.

OR maybe it was the PT lady.  She was pretty adamant we need to get mom a lower bed.  And better shoes.  She says dad needs to follow mom everywhere she goes to keep her safe from falling. 

So, I need to call that lawyer because still no papers!  I do think it's time to seriously look into a nursing home - neither dad nor I can provide the level of care that these professionals say we aren't providing.

anyhoo, I am still rattled over that.  The brochure the APS lady left said they make an assessment when "adult abuse, neglect or financial exploitation" is reported.  I think her rudeness on the phone more than anything is what did it.  Maybe she thought dad and I were trying to hide something?  Dad is very leery about letting ANYONE in the house - even with me there and it's that person's first visit - he wants me to double-check they are who they say they are!  Poor dad.

anyhoo, OVN emails are caught up and need to get to EMW.  But wanted to share this before I start my morning.

happy tuesday!

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2017 at 6:01 AM
1 mom liked this

To work for me this morning, today I have to do some office work!!! Finished decorating yesterday, almost, just a few more things to do! All the trees are decorated, and most of the halls are finished too. We have a few things to hang from our dining room lights and a couple of windows to decorate this morning. What a long process!

Tonight is the Alzheimers Support group meeting. DD has physical therapy today (the water therapy seems to be helping her back), her appointment yesterday with the GI doctor went well, all tests came back good and he said that some people just do not absorb iron into their blood, she will see the hemotologist in a couple of weeks for a check up there!

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2017 at 6:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Good Tuesday Morning!

The Christmas Tea went great. Today is just work, home to cook dinner, and grocery shopping. Nothing exciting.
Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2017 at 6:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Once a week baths are all that assisted living do unless needed! Someone jackass at the hospital called I'm sure. Just let her and let her see that everything is fine and it will be over. AND she should have known that older people don't like to ope doors to strangers! Kinda common sense if you ask me!

Quoting suzeebloch:

Good morning.  Wasn't up as early as I had liked but oh well.  Yesterday wore me out.  Where did boring go?!

Work of course, then parents.  Home health aide was very nice, got right down to business giving mom a bath with just minimal instruction for me as to how I've been doing it. 

But, I had to leave when mom was only half dressed because had to get Tom to take him to pick up Christmas charity stuff.  While I was sitting in the car waiting for him, got a call from Adult Protective Services.  Lady said she needed to see my mom RIGHT NOW.  Dad wouldn't let her in the house and made her call me!  I called him back and said let her in.  Apparently someone reported mom to APS and they make 2 unannounced visits.  This was about 3:00.  She said she'd call me back to explain but she never did.  Needless to say that rattled me.  I'm sure the hospital reported her, based on the comments the nurse had made to me that day about the fact I need to give mom a bath more than once a week and need to change her Depends each time they get wet.  Nurse was appalled when I told her I go there every afternoon to help, give mom a bath once a week and change her Depends each day.  Mom was soaking through the Depends at the hospital and nurse insinuated that's how mom got sick because we aren't taking care of her properly.  Whatever.  Mom didn't know where the bathroom was in the hospital room.  She was still getting over the dehydration and weak.  She doesn't have the wherewithall to know to push the call button to ask someone to help her to the bathroom - she had one of those alarms hooked up to her chair and bed that would go off each time she got up!!  SHEEZ.

OR maybe it was the PT lady.  She was pretty adamant we need to get mom a lower bed.  And better shoes.  She says dad needs to follow mom everywhere she goes to keep her safe from falling. 

So, I need to call that lawyer because still no papers!  I do think it's time to seriously look into a nursing home - neither dad nor I can provide the level of care that these professionals say we aren't providing.

anyhoo, I am still rattled over that.  The brochure the APS lady left said they make an assessment when "adult abuse, neglect or financial exploitation" is reported.  I think her rudeness on the phone more than anything is what did it.  Maybe she thought dad and I were trying to hide something?  Dad is very leery about letting ANYONE in the house - even with me there and it's that person's first visit - he wants me to double-check they are who they say they are!  Poor dad.

anyhoo, OVN emails are caught up and need to get to EMW.  But wanted to share this before I start my morning.

happy tuesday!

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 5, 2017 at 6:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the support, Cindy!  It just rattled me and when I was trying to go to sleep last night, even though I KNOW we are not neglecting my mom, I kept envisioning cops banging on my door, and hauling me off to jail!  But, I do think in the very near future, we will have to have mom placed in a nursing home.  It's sad but it will also be a relief for my dad - he is so worried about her and spends way too much money on internet 'scams' - pills to cure Alzheimers, books about miracle diets for it, etc.  They just had their 60th wedding anniversary and I know this whole situation is hard on him. He really wants mom back. :o(

Quoting Cindy18: I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Once a week baths are all that assisted living do unless needed! Someone jackass at the hospital called I'm sure. Just let her and let her see that everything is fine and it will be over. AND she should have known that older people don't like to ope doors to strangers! Kinda common sense if you ask me!
Quoting suzeebloch:

happy tuesday!

annie-durham
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2017 at 7:25 AM

Oh Ronna that does sound awfully stressful for you.

We try to get my mom in the shower 3 times a week but we have an aide come to do it.  If it was up to my sister and I we'd be lucky to get her in once a week.  My mom is more verbal than your mom and before the aides were coming she'd get mad and say "I had a shower the other day when you were out" and then refuse to get in.  Sometimes she still refuses with the aides but we all try.  Is your mom using the bathroom at home on her own?  What about getting her a walker so your dad didn't have to follow her around.  My mom uses hers all the time but one of us pretty much still walks behind her because her balance is off.

I agree though that it is probably time for her to go into a nursing home, if not for your dads sake anyway.  Its too hard on him to care for her now, even with you running over there every day.  And I don't blame him for not opening the door.

Quoting suzeebloch:

happy tuesday!

louannwilkins
by Louann on Dec. 5, 2017 at 7:26 AM

Good morning....

What a nightmare!!!  Honestly....I'd have lost it yesterday with all that going on.  So, your mom doesn't KNOW to go to the bathroom anymore...is that right?  You know, not to be rude but even if she was in a facility I highly doubt they would follow her every step and make sure she has on a clean depends EVERY time AT ONCE that she needed it.  It's almost an impossible task for anyone to do.  Hugs to you and your dad.  I would explain to that lady if she called or came back the deal about your dad not letting her in.  I'd also be polite and to the point but wouldn't put up with her being rude either.  Not for one second.  She could see her way out and send someone who had some sense. 

I would definitely get to the lawyer's office and get things rolling even if she didn't go into one right away.  Hugs to you and your dad.  I feel for you both.  I know it's hard and that you're doing the very best you can.  Your db may have to step up his game a little bit too when he's home and I'd talk to him about it and fill him in on the things that have been said etc...

I hope today is a boring one for you Ronna!! 

Quoting suzeebloch:

happy tuesday!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)