Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are you doing today....Wednesday?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:30 PM
  • 36 Replies

come tell us....

by on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louannwilkins
by Louann on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:31 PM

post is ready for tomorrow morning

DONNAOPULENTO
by Member on Dec. 12, 2017 at 8:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, I went shopping with my Mom.  We took my grandkids to Big Island Candies; a macadamia nut candy factory; and they tasted all the sample candies, my Mom and I tasted free samples of kona coffees and candies also.  We bought coffees and candies to send to my son and daughter including their spouses.  

emmygirl31
by Angie on Dec. 12, 2017 at 9:01 PM
4 moms liked this

the beds from my mom's house(2 twin and 1 queen) are being picked up and delivered to a poor family that has been sleeping on the floor.  it is the same family I adopted for the season.  It is giving me a great feeling to know I am helping others

kuntrylady56
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2017 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I can actually say I have to go to work. Hurray! Today(Tuesday) was only there for about four hours but we did reading, spelling and math. The kids are eager to learn which will make it a lot easier for me. I have a curriculumn to follow because of them being home schooled(state required to meet their standards) but I can tweak it some and add different things.Its been awhile since I have had a job that I'm actually excited and looking forward to. Hope it keeps being this way.

After work I need to come home and figure out some meals I can use slow cooker with.  I've only used it a few times and its been when I've been home but just busy with school work. I do not like leaving anything unattended like that for to long. Always worried about something starting a fire.

Anybody have some good slow cooker recipes?

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 5:52 AM
1 mom liked this

It's off to work for me this morning! A department head meeting, a family meeting and paperwork are on my agenda today. I have to get everything ready for our "5 Days of Christmas" events next week. Each day Monday-Friday will be a different theme with things for both the residents and staff to enjoy. I have all the days planned, now just to make sure I have everything I need for each day!

More baking this evening, with the snow falling, I am more in the mood to get that done too. So, Christmas movies and cookies are in order for me!

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Happy Wednesday! I'm fighting a cold but lots of water and I should be OK.

Dentist appointment at 8am, work until 5:30pm, then a funeral viewing if I can make it there! It's going snow a lot starting at 9am with the worst after 3pm.
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:07 AM

Evelyn - buy a power strip that has a breaker type doohickie with it so that in the rare event your slow cooker should short out, the breaker would kick off the power to it.  If your crockpot is fairly new, I don't think you should have any issues.  I do understand your concern though!  The guy I dated in PA for several years was a bit overboard on that issue - he literally unplugged every appliance in the kitchen  for that very reason after he was done using it.  The toaster, coffeepot, etc. 

I don't have any recipes per se, but I used my crockpot to make ham n bean soup, chili and spaghetti sauce mostly.  Those dishes always seemed better when allowed to slow cook for a while.  When I get some spare time, I'll look for other recipes I've used.  I know I have made corned beef in the slow cooker too.

Quoting kuntrylady56:

I can actually say I have to go to work. Hurray! Today(Tuesday) was only there for about four hours but we did reading, spelling and math. The kids are eager to learn which will make it a lot easier for me. I have a curriculumn to follow because of them being home schooled(state required to meet their standards) but I can tweak it some and add different things.Its been awhile since I have had a job that I'm actually excited and looking forward to. Hope it keeps being this way.

After work I need to come home and figure out some meals I can use slow cooker with.  I've only used it a few times and its been when I've been home but just busy with school work. I do not like leaving anything unattended like that for to long. Always worried about something starting a fire.

Anybody have some good slow cooker recipes?

Valentina327
by on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:13 AM
I did that with my great aunt's stuff. She's the most generous person I ever met, so I knew she'd be happy about doing that. Awesome! You're a huge blessing to these folks.

Quoting emmygirl31:

the beds from my mom's house(2 twin and 1 queen) are being picked up and delivered to a poor family that has been sleeping on the floor.  it is the same family I adopted for the season.  It is giving me a great feeling to know I am helping others

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:21 AM

Wednesday!  Oh and I did NOT want to get out of bed this morning but forced myself to do so at 4.  EMW is done, OVN emails caught up, just ordered more vape 'juice' since I'm almost out and ordering online is much less expensive than buying at a store.  They offered a discount so I took advantage of that and ordered twice what I usually buy.  Vaping is saving me money over smoking cigarettes and it has to be healthier to vape nicotene than smoke tobacco, right?

So yesterday work actually went well.  I almost made my personal "high end" quota - was short by $3 of reaching it!!  That's much better than making less than half of that quota.  Reason? One major client that did switch to VR - a couple of the doctors used the straight typing mode instead.  not sure if that was a fluke or they could tell a difference or not and chose to do that.  Either way, I'm not going to question it!  

then at parents, we had the PT and housekeeper - I forgot to start parent's laundry so went ahead and washed the clothes and will put them in the dryer today. 

Then Home Health Hospice came over - last week, the nurse thought mom would qualify for Hospice care - so she had the social worker come by.  Social worker is the one who gave us idea for daycare.  she didn't think mom would qualify for Hospice but said she'd have Hospice come over anyway. 

Hospice is typically for terminally ill patients and I didn't think mom was considered to be terminally ill.  Well, it turns out Alzheimers does fit that category.  But, there are certain criteria and mom doesn't meet those - yet.  Hospice suggested I go ahead and line up a health aide to come over a couple hours in the morning to help my dad with mom.  And, Hospice is going to come over and do a formal evaluation for admission to Hospice care - Medicare will cover Hospice at 100% and mom can stay at home until she goes to her heavenly home (i.e., skip the nursing home and having to spend all their money to qualify for Medicaid to cover nursing home).  But Wow.  What a RELIEF.  The ladies were so very nice, too.  Once we have the formal evaluation, even though we know right now mom does not qualify, they will do regular follow up visits to see how mom is doing.  If/when mom does decline to the point she qualifies, then they will admit her to Hospice care - inhome hospice care!  So that is such a relief off my mind.  Dad is still confused about it - kept asking them about nursing homes.  He'll understand as time goes on but I know I'll have to keep 'splaining it to him until then.  I really need to see if there are more services I can get in place to help dad.

anyhoo, I guess you could say I had a pretty "good" day yesterday.  I didn't leave parents house until 4:30 and still wanted to get those batteries.  There were several people in the customer service line and I just said screw it and bought new batteries.  $4 isn't that big a deal and at that late hour, I didn't feel like standing in line waiting at customer service.

came home, took my sleepy meds, and then read until lights out around 7.

today - the usual.  Mom has OT coming by and I'll dry their clothes and put them away.  Next week is the last week of all this OT/PT/Nurse stuff - thank goodness!  It's wearing me out.

that's it.  Happy Wednesday!

louannwilkins
by Louann on Dec. 13, 2017 at 6:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Good morning!!  Woo hoo on the productive day yesterday.  Hoping today is more of the same!  Such great news about hospice as well.  That is a huge relief for you I'm sure.  

Vaping...I think the point of that is to eventually get down to doing nothing.  NO nicotene etc...I know a couple of people who used it to quit smoking and kept loweing the nicotene until there was none.  I only know of one person who continues to do it and she's an aunt of mine.  AND I think she is fibbing to us when she says oh it's only flavored whatever but no nicotene. lol  I think she's still got whatever she started out with.  The reason I think that is because she is the one who would "hide" and smoke for a few years.  lol  She'd tell everyone she'd stopped smoking yet she smelled like an ash tray.  lol  Too funny.  Glad you got a good deal on them though!!

Have a good day!!

Quoting suzeebloch:

Wednesday!  Oh and I did NOT want to get out of bed this morning but forced myself to do so at 4.  EMW is done, OVN emails caught up, just ordered more vape 'juice' since I'm almost out and ordering online is much less expensive than buying at a store.  They offered a discount so I took advantage of that and ordered twice what I usually buy.  Vaping is saving me money over smoking cigarettes and it has to be healthier to vape nicotene than smoke tobacco, right?

So yesterday work actually went well.  I almost made my personal "high end" quota - was short by $3 of reaching it!!  That's much better than making less than half of that quota.  Reason? One major client that did switch to VR - a couple of the doctors used the straight typing mode instead.  not sure if that was a fluke or they could tell a difference or not and chose to do that.  Either way, I'm not going to question it!  

then at parents, we had the PT and housekeeper - I forgot to start parent's laundry so went ahead and washed the clothes and will put them in the dryer today. 

Then Home Health Hospice came over - last week, the nurse thought mom would qualify for Hospice care - so she had the social worker come by.  Social worker is the one who gave us idea for daycare.  she didn't think mom would qualify for Hospice but said she'd have Hospice come over anyway. 

Hospice is typically for terminally ill patients and I didn't think mom was considered to be terminally ill.  Well, it turns out Alzheimers does fit that category.  But, there are certain criteria and mom doesn't meet those - yet.  Hospice suggested I go ahead and line up a health aide to come over a couple hours in the morning to help my dad with mom.  And, Hospice is going to come over and do a formal evaluation for admission to Hospice care - Medicare will cover Hospice at 100% and mom can stay at home until she goes to her heavenly home (i.e., skip the nursing home and having to spend all their money to qualify for Medicaid to cover nursing home).  But Wow.  What a RELIEF.  The ladies were so very nice, too.  Once we have the formal evaluation, even though we know right now mom does not qualify, they will do regular follow up visits to see how mom is doing.  If/when mom does decline to the point she qualifies, then they will admit her to Hospice care - inhome hospice care!  So that is such a relief off my mind.  Dad is still confused about it - kept asking them about nursing homes.  He'll understand as time goes on but I know I'll have to keep 'splaining it to him until then.  I really need to see if there are more services I can get in place to help dad.

anyhoo, I guess you could say I had a pretty "good" day yesterday.  I didn't leave parents house until 4:30 and still wanted to get those batteries.  There were several people in the customer service line and I just said screw it and bought new batteries.  $4 isn't that big a deal and at that late hour, I didn't feel like standing in line waiting at customer service.

came home, took my sleepy meds, and then read until lights out around 7.

today - the usual.  Mom has OT coming by and I'll dry their clothes and put them away.  Next week is the last week of all this OT/PT/Nurse stuff - thank goodness!  It's wearing me out.

that's it.  Happy Wednesday!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)