Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son and his half brother - UPDATE link to video in reply #27

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2017 at 10:57 AM
  • 30 Replies
3 moms liked this

My son Johnny was conceived using donor sperm.  Several years ago, he took the 23 and me DNA test and found he has a half brother!  His mom used the same donor that I did.

They get together at Christmas when Johnny is visiting.

Here are their pictures - my son is wearing the dark hoodie.

by on Dec. 29, 2017 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louannwilkins
by Louann on Dec. 29, 2017 at 11:09 AM

I've told you before, he is so handsome!  I love these pics and I'm happy that they've connected.  Thanks for sharing them with us.  You can definitely tell they're related.  :)

JTROX
by Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 11:10 AM

That's cool!

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 11:32 AM

This is so cool. What are their ages? Where do each of them live? Do they have any interaction with the sperm donor father?

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 29, 2017 at 12:54 PM
2 moms liked this

The boys are 27.  Johnny was born June 18, D was born December 18, same year - so exactly 6 months apart.  Kinda neat, huh?

D and his wife and kids met the bio dad this past summer.

Johnny has skyped the bio dad a couple of times - sounds like with D and his wife, too.  Bio dad sent the boys a lengthy email initially that was really cool - described his side of the family, where they were from, traits, etc.  Bio dad was a medical student at KU Medical Center (where I was working when Johnny was conceived) and is now a doctor in Colorado.

D's wife is the one who actually found the bio dad - she simply wants to know more about her husband's bio dad's side since they have their own kids, and now she does!  Johnny doesn't seem to really "care" one way or the other. 

D grew up in Lawrence, KS which is not too far from me! And of course Johnny grew up in KS but has lived in CA since he left home for college in 2008.

A few years ago, both boys were on a VH1 segment of Swab Stories.  If I can locate that, I'll share it here!

Quoting EireLass:

This is so cool. What are their ages? Where do each of them live? Do they have any interaction with the sperm donor father?

momof337
by Stephanie on Dec. 29, 2017 at 1:00 PM
Cool
EireLass
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 1:33 PM

This is really wonderful for them, and really great that it worked out positively.

Do you, or did you, have any weird/skeptical feelings when they learned of each other or the donor?

Quoting suzeebloch:

The boys are 27.  Johnny was born June 18, D was born December 18, same year - so exactly 6 months apart.  Kinda neat, huh?

Johnny has skyped the bio dad a couple of times - sounds like with D and his wife, too.  Bio dad sent the boys a lengthy email initially that was really cool - described his side of the family, where they were from, traits, etc.  Bio dad was a medical student at KU Medical Center (where I was working when Johnny was conceived) and is now a doctor in Colorado.

D's wife is the one who actually found the bio dad - she simply wants to know more about her husband's bio dad's side since they have their own kids, and now she does!  Johnny doesn't seem to really "care" one way or the other. 

D grew up in Lawrence, KS which is not too far from me! And of course Johnny grew up in KS but has lived in CA since he left home for college in 2008.

A few years ago, both boys were on a VH1 segment of Swab Stories.  If I can locate that, I'll share it here!

Quoting EireLass:

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 29, 2017 at 1:51 PM

It is cool.  and we are all friends on FB too.  lol.

I don't and didn't have any weird/skeptical feelings about the bio dad.  If anything, he should be the one who felt weird/skeptical - and how to explain to wife and their 2 sons?  lol.

I found the bio dad's picture online...

what do you think?  which boy got what from bio dad?  lol.

Quoting EireLass:

This is really wonderful for them, and really great that it worked out positively.

Do you, or did you, have any weird/skeptical feelings when they learned of each other or the donor?

Quoting suzeebloch:

Quoting EireLass:

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 2:09 PM

Need to put a beard on the donor! haha

Quoting suzeebloch:

I don't and didn't have any weird/skeptical feelings about the bio dad.  If anything, he should be the one who felt weird/skeptical - and how to explain to wife and their 2 sons?  lol.

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting suzeebloch:

Quoting EireLass:

annie-durham
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 3:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Boy they really do look alike.  

I think thats a wonderful story. And its a posiive story, we've had a lot of negative stories in the news here in Canada about sperm donors.  Its not legal to donate sperm in Canada so anyone needing sperm has to contact american sperm banks or European ones and there have been some cases where donors didn't disclose certain diseases or mental health issues or lied on the application.  People are warned here about using some of the sperm banks because they don't do their due dilligence.  

I'm glad it worked out so well for your family. 

Mommy51408
by on Dec. 29, 2017 at 3:29 PM
Your son got his nose and mouth and ears. D got his eyes, eyebrows, hairline and coloring.

Quoting suzeebloch:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting suzeebloch:

Quoting EireLass:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)