Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

QOTD 2/7/18

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2018 at 10:14 AM
  • 15 Replies
It snowed here in Ohio. While trying to get the snow off my car I slipped and fell. I don't think I broke anything but I definitely twisted something. When was the last time you fell?
by on Feb. 7, 2018 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Group Admin on Feb. 7, 2018 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, no! Are you ok?

I don't remember the last time I fell. I did have some close calls though!

by Jozie on Feb. 7, 2018 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh! Just the other day. I was bringing wood in and the rather large puppy, Henri, jumped up and on me and knocked me over. I was top heavy given the load I was carrying…

Hope you aren’t too sore or hurt.
by Suzie on Feb. 7, 2018 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Last winter. I was on a nice nature walk on the trails with my daughter and there was snow on the trails, but ice under the snow. So we kept walking on the side of the trails to avoid slipping. Unfortunately for me, at one spot, I stepped in the deep snow and my foot hit the ice under and I slipped falling on my butt with my arms way up in the air. I did not care about myself lol, I cared more about not destroying my camera lol. I don't think I did damage, but I never got myself checked out that day. 

Hope you heal fast. 

by Becky on Feb. 7, 2018 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope you're okay. 

Last time I fell was a couple/few years ago. 

My complex wasn't doing a great job, not even a good job, keeping our sidewalks and parking lot clean that winter.  I'm sure there were a lot of falls.

I walked out the back door of my condo, and saw immediately that I was going to have a problem getting to my car.  I don't remember if it had warmed up a little to cause enough to melt and make it slick, or if we'd had an ice storm overnight, but everything was a glare.  Slick.

I decided I'd probably be safer walking thru the snow than on the sidewalk/parking lot - thinking at least if my feet were going thru the 6 or 8 inches that was on the ground, that I'd have a little traction.  Nope.  I went maybe 5 steps, and fell.  My feet slid back, the rest of me slid forward.  I went down on my knees, which are really bad anyway.

I made it to work about 2 hours late, due to the pain.  About 2 hours after that, I ended up leaving, thinking I may have broken something.  I went to Urgent Care - they had to meet me out in the lobby with a wheelchair because of the pain, and when I was done, they wheeled me all the way out to the car.  I don't remember how I got from the parking lot to my condo - I'm on the 3rd floor, so I can't imagine those stairs were very fun to navigate.  But nothing was broken.

That's when I found out, though, that I've got bone on bone in both knees.

Next day I had cortisone shots in both knees.  They may be painful to get, but they did relieve most of the pain.  The doctor removed fluid from the knees before giving me the cortisone, and there was quite a bit of blood in with the fluid, due to that fall.

by Susie on Feb. 7, 2018 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I fell and tripped in my garage this summer.  Banged my knees up for a couple days.  My glasses got scratched some and I haven't replaced them.  They are over 3 years old so it is time.  

by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Luckily its been long enough ago I don't remember.

by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG, I hope you are ok!  Please, take care of yourself!  Take it easy for the next few days and don't pick up anything heavy, do heavy work like vacuuming, or stand for long periods, if you can possibly help it. And don't twist or wiggle your hips (wear loose fitting jeans, lol). Three years ago, right about now, I slipped and fell on ice.  I picked myself up, felt ok and seemed fine. About 3 weeks later, while pulling on a pair of jeans, I "threw out my back". I've done that before, a few exercises, some rest, heat, Advil and a week later, it's fine. Not this time.  Pain got worse, not just my back but also a shooting pain down the front of my left thigh, which, by early June, was so excruciating, I finally went to the dr.  MRI and Xrays revealed a n inflamed pinched nerve from a herniated disc.  It took 2 cortisone procedures, 5 months of PT and the better part of the next 18 months to recover, and I still do exercises and I'm still careful about picking up heavy things or even moving the wrong way. I've fallen twice since - happily without any more damage to my back - about a year ago, I slipped on some spilled ice cream at a concert venue.  I had a lot of bruising on my right hip but no worse. Back in April, my puppy on a leash pulled me up the cellar stairs to the back yard and I tripped.  I think that scared her as much as it did me, because she doubled back and began licking my face as I lay there. Again, a little bruising but ok. 

by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

After slipping and falling on ice in 2010....I am ultra careful on ice now. I broke my wrist and tore the ligaments and tendons and cartilage in my hand. 11 months in casts, 2 surgeries, metal, 95 PT/OT visits. 

I have fallen since related, ha. No injuries.

by Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh dear, WHY123 I hope you did not break anything. Keep us updated!

I fell in my driveway walking to my car last summer, tripped on a small rock and totally went down on the paved driveway and little stones around it. I had "road rash" on my forehead, eyelid, cheek, and mouth. My forearms and hands too and my knees were bruised. I looked like I was in a car crash. I thought for sure the deeper "skid" marks on my face would leave marks but no it is just fine now. I didn't go the doctor....what could they do? I went into the house and cleaned it with soap and water and let it heal. 

A few weeks ago I got up at 5 a.m.(darned insomnia bad) and went downstairs to make a cup of tea. I missed the last step because it was pretty dark still and I banged the back of my head on the edge of the kitchen corner wall. It grew right into a big goose egg but I did not pass out or get sick or feel anything at all. I did not go to the doctor because by the end of the day the goose egg was the size of a chicken egg and I really did feel fine. Both my dh and my youngest son (28) came running out of their rooms they thought there was an explosion of some sort. I guess falling and banging my head made a lot of noise  LOL oooppss. 

by Louann on Feb. 7, 2018 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't remember honestly but I don't think it was all that long ago.  I do know that when you fall after about 40 it's MUCH scarier!!!  LOL  It's like you KNOW it's happening and feels like it's in slow motion yet you can't do anything to stop it.  That's how it felt to me a few years ago when I feel out the front door and down the steps and onto the stepping stones.  THAT I remember well.  lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)